Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #856 of 7,315
I would say:

1. Final Audio D8000 - I just remember it having great bass impact. Also, it wasn't "dark" sounding like a lot of bass heavy headphones. It was still very nicely balanced and no harshness to the sound at all. The pads are a nice fabric like material that you could tell wouldn't heat up as quickly - they sort of feel like the HD800 pads but a bit better. Too bad they are so damn expensive. The great thing is they are going to trickle down the planar tech to lower priced models.

2. Diana - this is a close second in terms of sound. It has a more neutral presentation than the Final Audio, probably more accurate bass. One advantage the Final Audio has is fit and comfort. Diana is very light and compact but the pads are kind of a weird fit. It's not necessarily too small. Just something to fiddle with and get used to....I think Beagle mentioned the same thing in his review. It's best to audition first.

3. Kennerton Thror - I like this one a lot as it has that weighty sound that planars tend to have but smooth and detailed. It's third mostly because the adjustment of the pads and headband are a bit more difficult than most headphones (there is a knob on the sides that you turn to loosen the slider mechanism up and down and you have to position the ear cups from side to side too and lock it in place). The pads are a nice leather but a little stiff.
K thanks, dude, that D8000 just doesn't look too good. They haven't changed the design since the older series.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #857 of 7,315
I'm pretty sensitive to treble and have always preferred a darker signature, I just found the Utopia lent towards the upper regions too much on some songs. I am being picky of course as it's still a fabulous sounding headphone, but to put some context I really do not like the HD800/HD800s but love most of the Audeze cans (I have the LCD-X). If i'm going to spend that sort of money then I'm hoping I won't have to compromise on the type of sound I enjoy, I just have to track it down. Hence any impressions really help me with the demos I need to arrange.
Understandable.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #858 of 7,315
@LaCuffia I wonder how I can get a hold of those D8000's and get a thorough listen. And the Diana too. Too bad I missed Canjam. But, those 2 are definitely on the very top of my list for my next headphone purchase.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #859 of 7,315
I would say:Diana is very light and compact but the pads are kind of a weird fit. It's not necessarily too small. Just something to fiddle with and get used to....I think Beagle mentioned the same thing in his review. It's best to audition first.
The pads are an odd duck to be sure. But once you get used to them, wear them for a few weeks (months) they do become a bit less stiff and proper fit becomes the norm.

Out of curiosity (and since the pads are so easy to take off), I'm going to try a couple of softer pads on them and see what happens with the sound. I'm guessing it will go down the toilet but won't hurt to try.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #860 of 7,315
The pads are an odd duck to be sure. But once you get used to them, wear them for a few weeks (months) they do become a bit less stiff and proper fit becomes the norm.

Sounds like they were indeed built for longevity if it takes that long to start breaking-in.

Down the road, I think the Diana could be THE TOTL planar for me. I like the more portable design and haven't read any negatives about the sound quality which is extremely rare in this hobby.

Comfort / design are unique but Diana looks nowhere near the original Abyss in that regard. I imagine I'd learn to deal with (or get used) however they fit.

I'd normally lament the high cost but hard to argue when the company's products have always been in that price range. It's the other companies who are now asking 2 to $4K for gear that was well under a grand just a few years ago.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #861 of 7,315
@LaCuffia I wonder how I can get a hold of those D8000's and get a thorough listen. And the Diana too. Too bad I missed Canjam. But, those 2 are definitely on the very top of my list for my next headphone purchase.

I actually should be getting the Diana on loan from the Cable Company within the next week or so. I think they are getting them in stock very soon. You may recall they have that headphone lending library. I will post more detailed impressions when I get it.

Re D8000, I know Audio46 in NYC has them but not sure if they offer auditions in store. I know they generally allow customers to try out headphones. Audio46 has that really cute Russian girl that does the reviews on YouTube. She did one for the D8000. I saw her at CanJam too.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #862 of 7,315
One thing to note about the Diana is that photos might give the impression that it is plasticky or cheap. That is no way the case. It is extremely well built and solid. It feels substantial and light at the same time if that makes sense. This thing is built to last. The brown one looks very nice in person too. I really can’t wait to hear it again.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #863 of 7,315
I actually should be getting the Diana on loan from the Cable Company within the next week or so. I think they are getting them in stock very soon. You may recall they have that headphone lending library. I will post more detailed impressions when I get it.

Re D8000, I know Audio46 in NYC has them but not sure if they offer auditions in store. I know they generally allow customers to try out headphones. Audio46 has that really cute Russian girl that does the reviews on YouTube. She did one for the D8000. I saw her at CanJam too.
Oh yeah dude! I been onto that one, she looks better than those headphones she reviews. Fox.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #864 of 7,315
I got to try the production Diana at CanJam SoCal and I am very happy with the improved earpads comfort. It was the only thing I had an issue with when I tried it RMAF last year. Diana + my Sony gold Walkman via 4.4mm balanced sounds stunning. The sound quality is endgame portable rig for me. I LOVE how compact Diana is when worn. You can barely see it! The perfect travel hp for me to enjoy in my hotel room after a long day of trade show work.

I've decided on my cable(s) choices are 1/4" TRS unbalanced (for home use) and 4.4mm balanced (for Walkman use). Diana in BLK color for me. :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #865 of 7,315

Out of curiosity (and since the pads are so easy to take off), I'm going to try a couple of softer pads on them and see what happens with the sound. I'm guessing it will go down the toilet but won't hurt to try.

My main concern before I tried these was the earpads actually - I thought the clamping pressure combined with the slimline thickness of the pads would get to me, but they have been pretty good.

I originally thought, in an ideal world, I would have both abyss headphone's drivers (1266 and diana) pivot around the centre vertically for a more even seal because I have a wider and V-shaped head. But, change the seal and you change the sound, so I suppose it was deliberate that they are designed the way they are.

I LOVE how compact Diana is when worn. You can barely see it!

Yeah every time I walk past a mirror with them on I get a surprise at how well they disappear - especially considering they are a TOTL over ear headphone.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #866 of 7,315
There were not many headphones there that reached the level of the Diana. The dynamic headphones were not even close. The only one I thought edged it out slightly in terms of planars was the Final Audio D8000, which had awesome bass and was bigger and more comfortable. The D8000 is $4k though.
I was one of first people at CanJam in side room where Cayin amps were and they had an amazing amount of best Headphones, but only the PHI was superior to the Diana to me.

I heard the D8000 and yes it was resolving,
but struck me with the Diana was the upper spectrum clarity/air that I did not feel was matched except by the Susvara.

There was one set up with the Cayin HA-1 MKii, a tube amp, and it was great. Woo Audio had the Diana too but I thought it sounded better with the Cayin.
Agreed the Cayin amps were both sounding stellar.

Forgot there was another great planar in the Cayin room - Kennerton Tror. It’s not out yet though but had similar characteristics to the Diana and Final Audio. Really nice.
I found it darker and nice but not at same level.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #867 of 7,315
I heard the D8000 and yes it was resolving,
but struck me with the Diana was the upper spectrum clarity/air that I did not feel was matched except by the Susvara.
Music breathes through the Diana naturally, rather than being "processed" by a headphone characteristic coloration.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #868 of 7,315
Just got mine...
Initial impressions very very, very good.
:)

As far as "detail" goes, I'd say the Diana seems to provide the overall best in the full frequency range of all the headphones I've used. 95% of music resides in the midrange so if you get that right, you've mostly OK. DIana does that well and also makes a natural dynamic bass. It's top end is an enhancement, a "finishing touch" of the mid and does not call attention to itself.
The top end is what I am interested to find out more when burn in...
what changes will occur with burn in?

For now it seemed waayy too transparent and neutral to make any opinions.

The bass is very different than what I heard before.
It is extremely, fast and color free, like an HD800..
Taught, yet all way deep, yet not bassy feel..
yet slightly above neutral..

Still way too new to tell how it will change..
Out of the Box (bag),
it is so fast and tight and deep with slam(!)
I never heard a planar with a combo of deep & fast bass tho.

I heard bigger bass on Phi and more spacious bass on Susvara, but both seemed different than Diana seems faster or quicker decay..

after an hour listening, the mids which were forward for my taste slightly pulled back. the bass hits really hard and when the song calls for the sub, it really has a strong presence
Exactly what I am experiencing.
:)

Also, I do feel the overall signature seems alot like the Phi from the mid to treble region.

The only thing I whish there was a pad option for those that like the more spacious earcups of larger Headphones.

That might also give bigger Soundstage option..(?)

The main thing I noticed on my first day of use is the speed, transparency and excellent layering making complex passages way easier to listen to...

What is impressive is that there is such detailing/resolve all over with no treble exaggeration to help it.

Very transparent is the only thing I can say for now..

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #870 of 7,315
I thought the dianas are end game for me.
I think for me as well. I've almost completely lost the desire to "upgrade". I see something I'm curious about but then stop, asking myself "Why? It won't top the Diana and I'll be spending more money for something worse".

Still, I doubt I'll ever rid myself of the curiosity about what's out there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back