1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by music alchemist, Aug 13, 2015.
First

Back
47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56
58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
Next

Last
  1. PeteSTRADAMUS
    I don't know which one Abyss had at Canjam last year, if it was the Phi or not but it had huge sound and I really, really, liked it.

2. AbyssHeadphones
    CanJam NYC 2018 we'll have the new Eleven Audio Broadway fully balanced battery powered headphone amp that can do one watt of smooth pure class A power into Diana. Killer combo!

xiaudo-broadway-abyss-diana.jpg

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
    Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  3. LaCuffia
    I got some good listening time in with the Diana at CanJam and they are amazing. It has such a smooth yet authoritative and powerful sound, especially for such a compact design. Build quality was exceptional. The pad dimensions and fit are a little peculiar and gives the impression that you can’t get a good seal but I am not sure there is a huge impact on sound. It is still very light and comfortable.

There were not many headphones there that reached the level of the Diana. The dynamic headphones were not even close. The only one I thought edged it out slightly in terms of planars was the Final Audio D8000, which had awesome bass and was bigger and more comfortable. The D8000 is $4k though.

If you go make sure you try them out in the side rooms. Abyss is on the main floor and it’s a little too noisy to get a good impression of what the Diana can do. There was one set up with the Cayin HA-1 MKii, a tube amp, and it was great. Woo Audio had the Diana too but I thought it sounded better with the Cayin.

Beagle, gr8soundz and mulder01 like this.
  4. PeteSTRADAMUS
    So you thought the D8000 sounded better than the Diana?

5. LaCuffia
    Not by a lot and the D8000 was hooked up to a higher end amp I think. The D8000 seemed much easier to drive though so it got louder pretty quick. That’s not to take anything away from the Diana. It’s lighter and more compact than the D8000 but is no wimp. I loved it. The only thing to be concerned about it is if you have larger ears. It seemed to fit just about right for me but it’s a bit smaller than most over ear planars. Interested to hear thoughts after you go tomorrow. The Diana plus Cayin combo was really stellar.

6. LaCuffia
    The Meze Empyrean is in the same room as the Diana/D8000. It’s really nice too and smooth sounding but didn’t seem as impactful as them in terms of bass. The build didn’t seem as solid.

MrSpeakers Voce e-stat was a favorite too. I liked it better than the Stax 009. Super comfortable.

7. soullinker20
    was able to audition the D800, it's bass was powerfult but I thought the highs were really rolled off. maybe just need some more burn in

8. LaCuffia
    Forgot there was another great planar in the Cayin room - Kennerton Tror. It’s not out yet though but had similar characteristics to the Diana and Final Audio. Really nice.

9. soullinker20

^ nice im'ma check it out

will it cost the same?

10. LaCuffia
    It might be more but not sure. I think over $4K. The Odin is $2,600. The Tror is said to be much lighter and better technology. Never tried the Odin.

11. LeoKane
    Any more impressions of the Diana, either from NY CanJam or from owners?
    I heard some Utopias with my Hugo2 the other day and was very impressed, although the signature may be a bit fatiguing for me in the long run. What I would really like is Utopia levels of resolution with tad less top end and and tad more low end. And whilst I have read the LCD-4 might suit my tastes more I am not sure if it will reach it's full potential from a Hugo2 (happy to be proved wrong however!).

12. PeteSTRADAMUS
    What fatigued you about that pairing the Utopia and the H2?

13. PeteSTRADAMUS
    From your experience at the show, how would you rank the Tror, Diana, D8000?

14. LeoKane
    I'm pretty sensitive to treble and have always preferred a darker signature, I just found the Utopia lent towards the upper regions too much on some songs. I am being picky of course as it's still a fabulous sounding headphone, but to put some context I really do not like the HD800/HD800s but love most of the Audeze cans (I have the LCD-X). If i'm going to spend that sort of money then I'm hoping I won't have to compromise on the type of sound I enjoy, I just have to track it down. Hence any impressions really help me with the demos I need to arrange.

15. LaCuffia
    I would say:

1. Final Audio D8000 - I just remember it having great bass impact. Also, it wasn't "dark" sounding like a lot of bass heavy headphones. It was still very nicely balanced and no harshness to the sound at all. The pads are a nice fabric like material that you could tell wouldn't heat up as quickly - they sort of feel like the HD800 pads but a bit better. Too bad they are so damn expensive. The great thing is they are going to trickle down the planar tech to lower priced models.

2. Diana - this is a close second in terms of sound. It has a more neutral presentation than the Final Audio, probably more accurate bass. One advantage the Final Audio has is fit and comfort. Diana is very light and compact but the pads are kind of a weird fit. It's not necessarily too small. Just something to fiddle with and get used to....I think Beagle mentioned the same thing in his review. It's best to audition first.

3. Kennerton Thror - I like this one a lot as it has that weighty sound that planars tend to have but smooth and detailed. It's third mostly because the adjustment of the pads and headband are a bit more difficult than most headphones (there is a knob on the sides that you turn to loosen the slider mechanism up and down and you have to position the ear cups from side to side too and lock it in place). The pads are a nice leather but a little stiff.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    snk8699, Maxx134, Beagle and 2 others like this.
First

Back
47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56
58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
Next

Last