Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Oct 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #421 of 7,571
Impression Day 2 !

This post should explain EVERYTHING. All the answer will be here! I try to answer everyone questions in this one post!

How much at retail price? $3000.00USD

When is the release date? Mid to End of November. Before Christmas

Why name it Diana? Diana is the wife of the creator

Dose it comes with a bag ? And what colours? Yes with bags. White HP- Blue Bag , Brown HP- Brown Bag and Black HP- Black Bag

What is the Headphone Connectors ? 2.5mm same as Hifiman headphones, And with a special design that locks in place.

What options for cables? All types of connectors. From XLR to Sony New 4.4mm plug

Are the earpads detachable? Also Cables? Yes and attached with magnets

What is the headband made out of? Lambskin leather

What is the body made out of? Aluminum

How is the adjustments/Slides control? Inside is magnets that clicks in places

Any plastic? No, Made out of Aluminum, Lambskin and magnets and planar drivers

Driver? Planar

How many Headphones in products? Only 2, Phi and Diana. Diana inspired and influences in the making of the Phi. The progress of Diana gave new ideas and pointers to create the Phi

How is the cable? Soft and rubbery and light weight. Not heavy.

Colour of wires? White so far and black in the making

Open back? Fully Open

Leaks? 40% leak

Is the Headphone foldable? Yes in a unique way.

Do you have to fold the headphone to put into the bag? No, no need to.

Can cellphones play it? Yes at max volume but needs an amp or Hi-res player for full potential

Ear-pads rumors ? All ear-pads at demo stations are prototypes and small and will be obsolete at launch date. One of the main problems the Diana is taking so long to be release is that the Headband and ear-pads is holding her back! Right now if you have small ear you will not notice. But to the developers and to me and normal human ears there's a serious problem with the ear-pads. They are going to get replace with bigger pads! and better and softer pads.

Rumor about headband? Second reason why Diana is not ready. Right now no padding and no support. It is just a lambskin strap on top. The final version should have 2 strips of form across for comfort

Ear-pads in-house? No. 3rd party is making the ear-pads. another reason why its taking a long time to finalize the formation of the ear-pads

Is this the Final sound signature that's being demo or the sound will also change? No! This is the final retail sound signature. The sound is 110% completed. The problems is with the ear-pads and headbands. This is why the headphone is taking a long time to be release still.

20171015_140718.jpg

Impression Day 2 : Very neutral and this is where they are taking this headphone. A smooth neutral headphone. No coloration across

Black, Brown and Blue Bags
Bag.jpg

White Diana is with the Blue bag, Brown Diana with Brown Bag and Black Diana with Black Bag

Bag2.jpg

This shows that no padding for this. Final release will have 2 strips across.
20171015_140905.jpg

This ear-pad will be obsolete and will be replace with better and bigger ones
20171015_140744.jpg

20171015_140801.jpg
20171015_140729.jpg

These are the wires and plug type
20171015_141013.jpg

Weight 330 grams
  • Impedance 40 ohms
  • Sensitivity 91 dB/mw
  • Includes cable by JPS Labs, length 1.5 meter/5 FT, with 3.5 mm stereo plug
    (4 pin XLR or new 4.4 mm plug optional)
  • Large 63 mm patent-pending planar speakers deliver stunning sound
  • Diana is machined, finished, and carefully hand assembled in New York, USA

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #422 of 7,571
Open back? Fully Open

Leaks? 40% leak
What does this mean exactly? Are you saying that the amount of sound coming out the back is only 40% of the amount of sound that comes out from the pad (listening) side?

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #423 of 7,571
I meant the headphone dose not leak too much while wearing them. Well that's what I notice. But at the same time it's open back. So I gave it a 40% leakage. Instead of saying this headphone is like HD800 and it leaks 100% of sound

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #424 of 7,571
The reviews so far seem to suggest this has a rich and huge sound, so that tells me the bass must be fairly strong. I know the 1266 has a reputation for excellent and deep bass response so this must not be far behind. Impressive for such a compact design.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #425 of 7,571
I meant the headphone dose not leak too much while wearing them. Well that's what I notice. But at the same time it's open back. So I gave it a 40% leakage. Instead of saying this headphone is like HD800 and it leaks 100% of sound
OK, so it leaks out less than the HD800, that would be good. For libraries and quiet areas, that's important.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #427 of 7,571
There are variances in how much leakage there is in open headphones, especially at lower listening levels..

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #430 of 7,571
The reviews so far seem to suggest this has a rich and huge sound, so that tells me the bass must be fairly strong. I know the 1266 has a reputation for excellent and deep bass response so this must not be far behind. Impressive for such a compact design.
All that sounds great, will the fit my ears though? lol

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #431 of 7,571
I was wondering that myself.....I guess I have medium sized ears but hopefully the opening is at least over 60 mm. I hate when it feels cramped. The new, larger pad design should make it less confusing as to whether this is over ear as opposed to on ear.

I am still on the fence on getting one though, mostly because of the steep price.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #432 of 7,571
I was wondering that myself.....I guess I have medium sized ears but hopefully the opening is at least over 60 mm. I hate when it feels cramped. The new, larger pad design should make it less confusing as to whether this is over ear as opposed to on ear.

I am still on the fence on getting one though, mostly because of the steep price.
I think it's more expensive because of the made in U.S.A approach. Products tend to cost a lot more made in our home country.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #433 of 7,571
I think it's more expensive because of the made in U.S.A approach. Products tend to cost a lot more made in our home country.

I meant to tell you this before but The Cable Company in New Hope, PA has a headphone lending library and they have the Abyss 1266 to try out. They will be getting the Diana too. The only catch is you pay 10% of the total cost for the rental, but if you decide the buy it they credit it back to you. I tried out a couple of headphones from them, including the Utopia.

Just something to consider for us NJ residents - they ship it out to you and it gets to you the next day.

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #434 of 7,571
I meant to tell you this before but The Cable Company in New Hope, PA has a headphone lending library and they have the Abyss 1266 to try out. They will be getting the Diana too. The only catch is you pay 10% of the total cost for the rental, but if you decide the buy it they credit it back to you. I tried out a couple of headphones from them, including the Utopia.

Just something to consider for us NJ residents - they ship it out to you and it gets to you the next day.
Yes, I heard of them. I just never actually went through with any headphones yet. Does it depend on your credit? And how expensive the items are?

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #435 of 7,571
No credit check...they just charge your credit card 10% of the purchase price of the headphone, plus shipping cost (UPS Ground). So for the Diana it would be like $320. That's a lot of money but maybe worth it rather than pay $3K and not be happy with the purchase. They have the usual suspects - Sennheiser, Grado, HiFiMan, Audeze, Focal....nothing too exotic except for Abyss. I was actually going to try out the 1266 but I don't think I would ever buy given the size of it and amplification demands, so nixed that idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back