DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way hybrid universal IEM
Sep 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #797 of 1,058
Woo! I'll be getting these next week and stacking them up against my GR07/ASG-2. No pre-conceptions, just honest impressions I promise :p
I'm actually hoping these will sound great because from what OP says, it close to my ideal signature

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #798 of 1,058
  I have a DSG100 unit here with me.

They're indeed quite bassy borderline too much, but I think I can handle it, like mentioned there's a good lump of mid-bass which causes some clouding over the lower mid-range, the bass is always present, generously. I agree with the tonality overall being closer to a Sony H3 maybe even darker over brighter hybrids I've heard ie: T-Peos, Fidue, Rhapsodio etc. Treble I can handle quite well, it seems slightly relaxed compared to some of my other IEM.

While I can see the appeal at $80 and possibly some conflicting preferences with DSG100 it doesn't quite reach the "must buy" level for me. it is detailed to an extent but the transparency and separation is only average to my ears. I think the bass just bogs it down and takes away any clarity the mids try and push out and the upper mids are tuned right down as it is.

I can see why people might like them with certain music, I've thrown some ambient tracks at them thinking "this isn't too bad hey" but then some Jazz like Diana Krall they just cloud up with bass developing a boggy / murky presentation. Then, throw something slightly dark like Cassandra's Wilsons - New Moon daughter album they're decent enough (for the price). So one could say DSG100 are not extremely versatile to every genre. 

I'll have some more listening sessions and take them in but with the likes of some newer hybrids (Fidue A83) and other toys I have here DSG100 aren't exactly on my high priority list.

tl/dr: Not too bad for $80 but nothing I'd break open a purchase for personally.

Thank you for the wonderful impression there H20, excellent as always...

So it's still not at the level of A83 eh, the one you fell in love within minutes literally? 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #799 of 1,058
  Thank you for the wonderful impression there H20, excellent as always...

So it's still not at the level of A83 eh, the one you fell in love within minutes literally? 
tongue_smile.gif

No, DSG100 will take some work to reach A83 level.

Fidue A83 is the equivalent to watching Freddie Mercury live on stage in his ultimate prime, possibly even riding on his shoulders.

DSG100 is not quite at that stage.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #802 of 1,058
I was going to add "Riding on his shoulders, shaking glow sticks whilst wearing a go-go girl outfit" but didn't want to overcook it. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #806 of 1,058
Something I'm finding out...

I'm noticing a difference between sources. Through a cell phone without an amp these are very bassy and less sibilant. With an amp these have more controlled bass and brighter highs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been using the DGS100 through the HO of my X3 but this morning I tried them out of the LO through the E11 and it sounds so much better. The details are really crisp and the mid-bass bump is almost gone. Wow !!!

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #807 of 1,058
I got the DGS100 yesterday, and I like the sound, especially the bass.
I noticed that they are slightly sibilant with my iPhone 4, but easier on the ears when using my notebook and other sources.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #809 of 1,058
I got the DGS100 yesterday, and I like the sound, especially the bass.

I noticed that they are slightly sibilant with my iPhone 4, but easier on the ears when using my notebook and other sources.

Give them time, they get better! These are not your typical IEM's, they do a drastic change that hopefully you'll enjoy.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #810 of 1,058
After a couple of weeks with the DGS100 I must say they're fantastic- definitely worth a lot more than their asking price, IMO. Initially when I got my pair they had quite a strong midbass presence just has most others have noted. I must confess I'm a basshead and was really enjoying the emphasis as I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music (EDM, Trap, Drum and Bass, etc). After about 20-30 hours of listening I put them in my ears one morning only to realize they sounded much more balanced (much to my disappointment). I was using some standard ear tips as during break-in the stock ones that came in the box were a bit too boomy for my taste...however, now that they have evened out I'm thinking they might be worth another shot.

These are my first hybrid IEM and I must say the "wow" factor is definitely there- you get clarity, warmth, stage and detail all in one package just as Hisoundfi said. Anyone who hasn't tried a BA/Dynamic unit yet should really consider trying these out- very few people would be disappointed, IMO. One of the only problems I've noticed is significant driver flex upon insertion- you have to pull the earlobe down and push it in while not covering the vent hole to avoid this issue. Also, they sound imbalanced if you don't angle them properly in your ears. No one has reported anything like this so either I have a defective pair (which Penon replied to my email stating they have machines to test for which means it's very unlikely) or it's just me...guess I'll keep listening 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back