DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way hybrid universal IEM
Sep 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #766 of 1,058
These are amongst the most exasperating items I've ever owned. I've just updated my X3's firmware and, using the above mentioned Sony tips, they sound amazing! I don't think it is anything to do with the firmware upgrade other than after the upgrade the default volume got reset to a much higher level. I normally don't listen at high levels so maybe that is the difference. Or maybe they just sound different every time you try them...

Still too much bass for me, but I can understand how they might be so highly rated by people who like a bit of bass.

I wonder what they'll sound like tomorrow? And I wonder if I'll like it?

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #768 of 1,058
Will the real dgs100's please stand up? I'm waiting for everyone's 1000 hour mark impressions... :wink:

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #771 of 1,058
  Impressions?

Well, just like everyone else, out of the box, I was far from impressed. Big Monster-Turbine-esque bass bloat, recessed mids, and splashy unnatural treble. But I gave em the next 8 hours to burn in and already the sound improved. I'm normally not a proponent of burn-in, but this transformation was pretty incredible. Bass tightened up, mids are more naturally placed, and treble cleaned up. And that was just after 8 hours! 

The bass is still a little bigger than I like, but I really appreciate the fact that it's not muddying up other frequencies any more. Very Aurisonics-esque. 

Looking forward to more time with em to see how they change.

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #773 of 1,058
Aurisonic??? Nice :grin:

I just meant that both of these have extremely authoritative bass. And it is done in a way that keeps the lower frequencies from covering up the lower mids. That's a very difficult thing to accomplish.

Speaking of bass, an interesting development for those of you who may be wanting to ease off the bassthese guys produce. Take a tiny piece of tape and cover up the bassports. Results in a much more neutral sound and is completely reversible.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #778 of 1,058
I "thought" the treble was becoming too hot on these things, but I honestly think I'm spoiled at this point. I popped in the altone200 and did an a-b comparison. The brightness and "sibilance" of the DGS100 is dwarfed in comparison to the altone200.

Yes there's is plenty of mid bass on these. I almost guarantee you guys that if you don't like this signature of the DGS100, you won't like the h3. The bass is somewhat similar in tuning

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #780 of 1,058
Well I have finally reached what I believe is the final burned in sound. It took 125 hours and bass heavy tracks on max volume on my mp3 player. These things are super detailed and the highs can get a little peaky. The bass has settled down and that mid bass hump is now kept at a minumum. These do get fatiguing after a while. I think I now need my brain to adjust to this sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back