Devialet IEM - will they sound good and be reliable?
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #76 of 146
I seriously cannot fathom how these were released into the wild. Clearly rushed to market. There is a 50% chance when i pick them up after a day or two, the right bud is dead. Even if it isn't, I have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they disconnect. I can buy chi-fi buds on amazon for under $50 that use modern chipset and connect seamlessly. I bought them expecting some gremlins but this is beyond unreasonable. It's a shame because these have class leading sound and i've tried just about every high end TWS out there. I don't think these bluetooth issues can be resolved with firmware because it seems to be directly related to the master/slave hardware they decided to use. Too bad - we as consumers should not be beta testing these.
Why do you think it's a hardware dead-end? It seems to me this is not a chipset issue but rather their own bespoke code on top of that.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #77 of 146
Why do you think it's a hardware dead-end? It seems to me this is not a chipset issue but rather their own bespoke code on top of that.
I don't know for sure of course but the master/slave model was abandoned by most manufacturers a while ago in favor of other technologies such as NFMI. It reminds me of the old brag dash method of connecting. There really is no reason for both buds to need to be connected to the phone separately and that seems to be part of the issue. As for the battery drain, that is something that happened to the first sennheiser MTW and they never were able to fix it via software to my knowledge. The MTW2 did address the issue. I'm not rooting against them or anything but I've reached the frustration point with my set. They worked fine at the beginning btw and now I am having issues weeks later so just because someone's are working well doesn't mean problems won't arise. I literally spent 30 minutes this morning trying to get them to reconnect to my phone. It finally worked but it was completely random. Something is very flawed.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #78 of 146
I don't know for sure of course but the master/slave model was abandoned by most manufacturers a while ago in favor of other technologies such as NFMI. It reminds me of the old brag dash method of connecting. There really is no reason for both buds to need to be connected to the phone separately and that seems to be part of the issue. As for the battery drain, that is something that happened to the first sennheiser MTW and they never were able to fix it via software to my knowledge. The MTW2 did address the issue. I'm not rooting against them or anything but I've reached the frustration point with my set. They worked fine at the beginning btw and now I am having issues weeks later so just because someone's are working well doesn't mean problems won't arise. I literally spent 30 minutes this morning trying to get them to reconnect to my phone. It finally worked but it was completely random. Something is very flawed.

Definitely very flawed. Here's hoping it's not MTW flawed. Maybe I'm a week behind you, but I think (knocks on wood) that I've seen all their quirks by now and have settled into a mostly stable, if dysfunctional, relationship with them. I posted the sordid details on the TWS thread but as long as I'm careful I have been able to evade both battery drain and having to re-pair. But if they don't fix this stuff by the time the pandemic is over and I'm out and about it will then drive me insane.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #80 of 146
Maybe I'm a week behind you, but I think (knocks on wood) that I've seen all their quirks by now and have settled into a mostly stable, if dysfunctional, relationship with them.

This was exactly my thought yesterday. Today, left one is dead. Its charged but no sound. Failing every fit-test. And when I put it back in case it starts to sound like an electrical cricket on stereoids. A factory reset did not help. :/

Anyone compared Geminis to Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus soundwise?

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #81 of 146
This was exactly my thought yesterday. Today, left one is dead. Its charged but no sound. Failing every fit-test. And when I put it back in case it starts to sound like an electrical cricket on stereoids. A factory reset did not help. :/

Anyone compared Geminis to Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus soundwise?

Oh man, that is a bummer. Hopefully it was a hardware aberration. About the MW07 there was a review on Best Buy that said the Geminis are better.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #82 of 146
Oh man, that is a bummer. Hopefully it was a hardware aberration. About the MW07 there was a review on Best Buy that said the Geminis are better.

yeah, went to my dealer today and returned them after e-mail conversation with Devialet support (which have been pretty fast and helpful in their replies). Dealer didnt want to give me new ones right now because apparently another "batch" is on its way. Just crossing my fingers the next ones will be better :)

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #83 of 146
Hello, one help, is anyone using any tips different than the ones that came with the Geminis? I have mine and when it works well, I have issues as with the right ear I need to adjust it as it seems to be falling every 2 minutes, I am not able to get a secure fit the way they fit in the ear. Thanks

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #84 of 146
Hello, one help, is anyone using any tips different than the ones that came with the Geminis? I have mine and when it works well, I have issues as with the right ear I need to adjust it as it seems to be falling every 2 minutes, I am not able to get a secure fit the way they fit in the ear. Thanks

They are faulty. Devialet stopped selling them. You can return them for a refund. Hopefully they will fix them down the line. Mine actually had a hardwear fault so not all is softwear. I would return and buy later :)

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #85 of 146
Maybe the KEF will be the charm. Third try of an audio/speaker maker will be the charm for excellent sound with no firmware or hardware issues??

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #86 of 146
Wow Devialet pulled them from sale?
Even by their standards that is crazy to launch something so unready for market!
Maybe if they didn’t spend so much on marketing they wouldn’t need to rush into it.....

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #87 of 146
They are faulty. Devialet stopped selling them. You can return them for a refund. Hopefully they will fix them down the line. Mine actually had a hardwear fault so not all is softwear. I would return and buy later :)
I didn't see anything on their website regarding the unavailability of the Gemini. Could you post the source of this information? Is it a mass recall and refund?

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #88 of 146
I didn't see anything on their website regarding the unavailability of the Gemini. Could you post the source of this information? Is it a mass recall and refund?
If you go to buy It will show "Currently Unavailable". I'm guessing it's a recall of currently unsold stock, with the plan to flash and re-release. At least I hope that's what it is because that would mean it's firmware fixable.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #89 of 146

I purchased mine from a local dealer. They wouldnt replace my faulty ones due to Devialet stopping sales according to the dealer, meaning a replacement will likely be faulty too. I heard others who purchased directly from Devialet are offered a refund.
When I spoke to support from Devialet they said to wait for the late January firmware, but then said I should return them to dealer.
They obviously didn’t test these enough before release, and that’s bad when you charge premium price.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #90 of 146
If you go to buy It will show "Currently Unavailable". I'm guessing it's a recall of currently unsold stock, with the plan to flash and re-release. At least I hope that's what it is because that would mean it's firmware fixable.

I also hope it’s firmware fixable. I do like the sound when they worked. I’m a bit worried though because mine made a horrible electrical noise (sounded like e cricket) whenever I put them in the ear or in case. It sounded like a hardware fault. Then again maybe I was just unlucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back