Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #406 of 903
MSRP is 1000 euros, so for the HD800 it's actually really close to MSRP.
The MSRP is just significantly higher in the US, that's all.

Yeah, it just means they're doing the Grado/Koss thing; massive mark-up if you don't live in the home country. For some reason it doesn't bother me that Grado does it, but Sennheiser seems like they should be beyond it. :blink:

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #407 of 903
Yeah, it just means they're doing the Grado/Koss thing; massive mark-up if you don't live in the home country. For some reason it doesn't bother me that Grado does it, but Sennheiser seems like they should be beyond it. :blink:

The euro used to be 1.40-1.30 for a very long time, so it really wasn't that big a discount. Although I do have to admit that the 1000 euros I was talking about includes the ~20% VAT that is common in Europe.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #409 of 903
Quote:

That's disgraceful and depressing honestly.  I'm sure that edict doesn't come from Germany, that's probably Senn USA's doing.  $1500 for HD800, $1k for HD700, $500 for HD650.   Senns pricing is out of step. But no nearly as much as Denons. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #410 of 903
Quote:
That's disgraceful and depressing honestly.  I'm sure that edict doesn't come from Germany, that's probably Senn USA's doing.  $1500 for HD800, $1k for HD700, $500 for HD650.   Senns pricing is out of step. But no nearly as much as Denons. 

Not that it's too surprising, but the HD800 and HD650 costs about $1666 and $555 respectively in Singapore. Oh, well. :/

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #411 of 903
Grado actually wasn't too bad (in the U.S., that is) until recently, which happened to coincide with my latest Grado purchase
mad.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #412 of 903
Quote:
Quote:

In my view, Senn has always been keen on perception and pricing. And this is always on the high side, no matter the model legacy or new.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #413 of 903
Quote:
Quote:
What can HD800's be had for?

As far as I've seen in the Netherlands it's 900-1000 euros, which is $1100 - 1250. Remember though that the Euro is worth significantly less compared to the dollar than normal at the moment, so it's bound to be relatively cheap in dollars.

Thanks, Tilpo. I'm almost certain if I had found the Bass satisfying during last year's audition, I would have owned by now. But, the right price changes everything! 
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #415 of 903
Quote:

In my view, Senn has always been keen on perception and pricing. And this is always on the high side, no matter the model legacy or new.

MSRP has always been high, as has Denons.  But who buys anything at MSRP?  Senns pricing was quite reasonable via most dealers.  Only a handful of dealers embraced MSRP, those boutique type dealers like Headroom and Moon, but those added value to the MSRP through discounts on their own products when purchased with headphones, frequent sales/discount codes etc.  So it made it worthwhile to buy from one of those MSRP based dealers if you were also interested in their other products.  Where the bigger dealers could offer flat discounts.  With MAP pricing (I still can't determine if it's legal or not...minimum advertised price has always been around, minimum retail price is a different thing entirely.)  it's a different story.

Thus Denon's $1k for D7k and $700 for D5k were outrageous, but at common street pricing they were very manageable.  We'll see where they go with thee monstrosities....

Quote:

Thanks, Tilpo. I'm almost certain if I had found the Bass satisfying during last year's audition, I would have owned by now. But, the right price changes everything! 
wink_face.gif

Indeed it does!

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #417 of 903
So a Denon rep came by the store today and showed me about the upcoming Denon line-ups. I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread but here's some of what he said.

Basically Denon is making headphones for four different categories of products. "Music maniac" is obviously what this thread is focused on, then there's the "global cruiser" which consists of noise cancelling/ travelling, "urban raver" which is consumer level and very bassy sound and the last one is for sports and I forget the name "exercise freak"?

Looks to be a big marketing push by Denon, very flashy (dare I say wacky)- looking products with fancy packaging and many features.

They're also releasing apps for each category headphone. The apps for android or iphone become your music player but with added features for each version. They cost about a buck each.

Music Maniac: You have a special EQ tool where you can choose from presets for different genres and sounds, or you can build your own frequency response curve by dragging dots on a line to shape the curve.

Global Cruiser: Access to databases and maps on important itineraries, locations, restaurants, hotels, etc for travellers

Urban Raver: Not quite sure I understood this one, but you apparently have access to some sort of podcast/ music stream on electronic and dance music at all times.

Exercise Freak: Itenerary for jogging routes and whatnot. Possibly heartrate monitor? I'm not sure about this.

I told him the replacement of the D2000 (the D600) looks pretty bad and is probably a step in the wrong direction... But he managed to make me want to try the D7100.

The D7100 will have a 360 degree ball-joint pivot and memory foam. It should be very comfortable and seal much better than the d7000. The odd shape of the cups is made to fit most peoples' jaw-lines as naturally as possible. And he also told me the d7100 he tried were about 85% ready, still needed to get "professional final tuning", yet; it still sounded better than the D7000.

We'll see in the next few months!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #418 of 903
Quote:
The D7100 will have a 360 degree ball-joint pivot and memory foam. It should be very comfortable and seal much better than the d7000. The odd shape of the cups is made to fit most peoples' jaw-lines as naturally as possible. And he also told me the d7100 he tried were about 85% ready, still needed to get "professional final tuning", yet; it still sounded better than the D7000.

Is this what the salesperson said, or did you test this yourself, and if so, with what music?

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #419 of 903
Quote:

Is this what the salesperson said, or did you test this yourself, and if so, with what music?

This is what the Denon representative said, he's not an in-store salesperson; he's above that. I haven't tried it, I'm not a huge fan of the Denon headphones to begin with so I'm not sure it'll be for me.

I also believe I know more about headphones than he does, so him liking it more in its present state than the D7000's can also mean nothing. I'm just sharing what he said because it may well be better, and we can't really underestimate Denon's engineers.

I still prefer the look of the old Denon headphones of course

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #420 of 903
Quote:
This is what the Denon representative said, he's not an in-store salesperson; he's above that. I haven't tried it, I'm not a huge fan of the Denon headphones to begin with so I'm not sure it'll be for me.

I also believe I know more about headphones than he does, so him liking it more in its present state than the D7000's can also mean nothing. I'm just sharing what he said because it may well be better, and we can't really underestimate Denon's engineers.

I still prefer the look of the old Denon headphones of course

I understand that it was Fostex's engineers who designed the outgoing Denon headphone line.  Is the new Denon line done in house, or are they engineered by (another?) third party?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back