Denon DN-HP700 Review and comparison to the AH-D7000
May 18, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #316 of 454
Quote:
Also, I'm guessing the HP700 is more close to the D2000 or D5000 considering M50s aren't usually compared with either of those headphones (that i've seen at least)

Yes, hyogen, I guess so too. Also Joker's reviews of both is a bit contradictory. It seems that the HP700 do everything better, but at the end the M50 takes the highest score. Something's wrong on that comparison. But well, whatever he wants to transmit, it's just his opinion and personal preference. I won't even bother getting the M50's again for a direct A/B as I'm sure the HP700 are better. Also recessed mids are NOT for me at all.

May 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #317 of 454
Guys, just found who are the Konig's CLONE of. lol. They are a PURE, authentic clone of the Numark Red Wave DJ (95€). They have EXACTLY the same sound, it's impossible to find any difference except a tiny bit more bass on the Numarks, that I'm sure that is due to some minor tweak, since the housing is the same too. They have the same drivers and the sound is a photocopy. Now, the Numarks look much cooler (in fact they look awesome in your head). Now I'm thinking if I'm going to get the Numarks since they're nice looking for street use :p and I think that the tiny bit more bass is nice. Since these cost me 69€, its just a 26€ difference. And I can return them. Believe me everyone, they sound the same. A very well done clone. Congrats Konig. lol.

If you remove the pads, it's exactly the same phone. Even the thick foams covering the driver are there too, and even the box (inside) is the same :D

But since they can be bought for 50€, it's almost half the price for exactly the same thing. Thats the steal. Your choice, guys, I'm considering getting the Numarks just because of the appearance. For the ones having issues getting them cheap from your countries, you got the Numarks. I asure you, its exactly the same phone, just with a tiny bit more bass.

Obviously, Konig is the "white" brand of Numark (a reputated brand of DJ equipment for the ones that don't know).

EDIT: wow, HUGE improvement on treble after opening 5 holes inside as I did with the HP700. Now the treble sounds almost as good as the HP700. It's detailed and brighter than before. Just a bit less sparkle. But there's some sparkle there, more than the Q40's. And clarity. I'm with the Numarks already. Have done this to them. Am going to return the Konig's now. Again, this is just because of aesthetics, they are THE SAME phone, same housing, same driver, same sound, same box, just changes the colors and the Numark logo. If you don't believe me, get the Numarks and the Konigs and see for yourselves.

EDIT 2: Remember, they need 50 hours burn-in to shine and you GOT TO remove those thick foams covering the drivers, or they sound muddy, when they have very good clarity without that. Oh, and don't forget: don't use the crappy sounding stock cable.

May 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #318 of 454
Numark RedWave headphones are 68 EUR on thomann.de, not much expensier. I'm not sure about the looks though, looks maybe a bit TOO "flashy" for my taste. ^^

Actually I can also find them for 67,90 EUR even in the expensive Finland, w00t (only like 10 EUR more than NRG300). Now I got somewhat tempted, suppose I will just see what I think about the Konig/König ones first. 

These Numark headphones looks & sounds like some excellent alternatives to the Beats Studios crowd. :p

May 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #320 of 454
Quote:
These Numark headphones looks & sounds like some excellent alternatives to the Beats Studios crowd. :p

Indeed. And they have GOOD sound quality :D

At first I thought they were too much too, till I saw in the mirror. If you look at you by side they look awesome. You don't see any red. Just black and the metal Numark's logo. These I don't mind using on the street at my age. Then the Denons for home. Those make you look like an alien.

May 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #321 of 454
Short googling says you've found an OEM model.. it's not Numark's design either, but an unknown factory who knows where.

Numark Redwave DJ
König NRG300
Zomo HD-1200
Reloop RHP-10

Likely more to be found. :wink:

May 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #323 of 454
These holes I've opened vastly improve treble extension and decay and even soundstage, exactly has happened with the HP700. I consider this little mod absolutely mandatory.

I've opened just one more in each side (5+5). Perfection.

What you can expect from this is treble quality very close to the HP700, if not as good (I don't have them here to compare, but I remember very well how it sounds). For a treble-head, or someone that appreciates good treble detail, extension and decay, this is a plus. If you don't open these holes, treble will sound "dry", recessed and with a short decay on cymbals. Improvement is huge here, no burn-in will ever cause such an effect.

Now this is Hi-Fi ; )

May 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #325 of 454
Yeah, but the Numarks look great. And sound even better ; )

EDIT: Forgot to tell that if we are removing that thick foam that covers the front of the drivers and muddys everything, that we have to throw in half of a cotton ball or something or the bass gets bloated. As we did with the HP700. This is really necessary. Bass is now very well controlled and let me tell you, after the 5 holes opening in each side of the cups and burn-in, they're sounding almost as good as the HP700, but with the most dynamic/impactful bass I've heard. They just don't have all that micro-detail, but it really doesn't matter, these are FUN/warm cans, not analytical. Although you can hear alot of detail with this mod, believe me.

May 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #326 of 454
Quote:
Some pics of the inside...

My first attempt will simply be removing the huge foam covering most of the cup volume and blocking the driver went behind it. What I'd expect by removing this is stronger & little more uncontrolled bass response (probably more reverbey soudning). The Q40 had a huge cup that is much bigger than this one and completely open without any dampening used and it still sounds reasonable controlled but allows probably for deeper bass too from increased air flow.

There's also a hugeload of possibilities to open extra holes (I'm thinking about that ring of holes closest to the driver) in the white fabric for increased airflow (again chance for more bass and possibly slightly better soundstage too)

What is the function of the plastic ring behind the driver holes?
Is it just securing the driver in place?
Isn't the driver glued in the structure or something?
I like the sonic descriptions for the HP700, but the treble and presentation...
I bet this plastic ring is source of nasty reflections and probably some of the peakiness of the treble as ljokerl described...

Could someone please be so kind and try to give a listen to the HP700 with the plastic ring taken out?
And look for sonic changes?

If the drivers are not secured in place without the plastic ring some blutack like material can be usefull to fix them in place...

Please Someone!!

Thanks!

May 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #329 of 454
Quote:
So far there is only one guy that has these?  And there isn't ONE review within the first TWO pages of a google search for reviews. I'm skeptical.

Has what? Königs? Did you read any posts in the thread? These OEM phones go by many names. Numark Redwave has loads of reviews. Of course they are usually more DJ oriented than "audiophile".

May 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #330 of 454
Quote:
Quote:
Also, I'm guessing the HP700 is more close to the D2000 or D5000 considering M50s aren't usually compared with either of those headphones (that i've seen at least)

Yes, hyogen, I guess so too. Also Joker's reviews of both is a bit contradictory. It seems that the HP700 do everything better, but at the end the M50 takes the highest score. Something's wrong on that comparison. But well, whatever he wants to transmit, it's just his opinion and personal preference. I won't even bother getting the M50's again for a direct A/B as I'm sure the HP700 are better. Also recessed mids are NOT for me at all.

hehe.  i'd be willing to try those konigs.  good detective work :D

i'm super super happy with my hfi550 which I picked up for $25 (alienware rebrand...oh well.....would've liked that more if i were younger). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back