DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP
Apr 27, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #271 of 353
Yeah, I don't think it supports OTG! :frowning2:
So I'll probably sell mine soon. Too bad though since I actually like it when connected to a PC! Heck, I even like it when double-amping.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #272 of 353
I just got this, and I heard the strange exaggerated highs sometimes with high gain.  I did a quick unfair comparison with it driving my HD800's with my Oppo HA-1, and it clearly was outclassed.  I don't think the Oppo drives it properly either, but I'm still searching on that end.  

It's worked great with my iPad and computers.  I can't get it to work with my note 2 which I was going to retire to be paired with this to be my portable gig.  Plan ruined!  I should have read through the thread first.  I have Android 5.1 installed on it, and it works with my uDac that I actually quite enjoy but it looks strange connected to a smartphone.  When I switch it to the DA-10, set at 
USB, No Charge (tried charge too), Variable Output, Low Gain (tried high too)
it acted like it was connected, but it didn't make any noise even though the phone was playing.  I have the DAC and audio routing enabled in the developer options as well as Boeffla sound.  

Meanwhile I'm trying to either figure out how to play Hi Res files from my iPhone (hooking up with the lightning to USB cable I've read, but what software would I use for the playback?  Maybe the free TEAC or Onkyo players?  My iPhone is out of commission right now so I can't try.  

So all in all, I'm please with this DAC.  It's resolving and I feel has good performance across the frequencies except the highs where it could too peaky/scratchy for some.  I don't really feel it's warm though?  Maybe for a solid state affair it's warm (good thing), but it's not warm like a tube amp.  Now if I can just figure out what my ideal setup would be.  Good thing I did get 128GB with my iPhone.  I also think like audionewbi this pairs great with my IE800s.  

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #273 of 353
  I think maybe in general the a 10 does not work with android phones looking at the denon connections, as I see that uonly can connect the da10 to android devices via aux and not usb, dam I did not realize this before I bought it

I thought I would be able to use any phones and take a signal from a phone to the dac

Do you have the usb audio routing option set to the right setting in the Android OS?  It's in the developer settings near the bottom I believe.  The guy I got it from says he knows Sony Z2 and Z3 both work.  

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #274 of 353
i got my z ultra to work the denon but i have to use otg cable

i thought micro sd to micro sd would be enough but no u need an otg to make it work

i am really liking it with my shure 846 wow i love it

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #275 of 353
Good for you!  My Samsung won't work with it even if I have the correct settings and OTG cable.  It'll be paired with my iPhone instead.  But I prefer to have them separate so if I want to browse the web I don't have to hold a brick in my hand.  I'm not sure how to make this work.  I think I'll just buy a cheap Sony phone like a T2 ultra to pair it with.  I usually carry a briefcase or backpack around anyway.  When I don't I'm with my wife and I don't think she would appreciate me just listening to music!

Anybody also have the OPPO HA-2?  I'm seriously thinking about getting one to compare.  It has greater compatibility with Android phones I think, and is slimmer (by alot).  

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #276 of 353

Meanwhile I'm trying to either figure out how to play Hi Res files from my iPhone (hooking up with the lightning to USB cable I've read, but what software would I use for the playback?  Maybe the free TEAC or Onkyo players?  My iPhone is out of commission right now so I can't try.  

In terms of using the iPhone for Hi Res.  I use Onkyo HF Player with the (paid for option) HD playback.  Bear in mind that without the apple official lightning to usb adaptor you will not be able to output the high res even if the software and file is willing... Then plug a basic usb cable from the apple usb adaptor to the Denon and.. hey presto.. awesome audio!

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #277 of 353
Thanks.  I'm trying the VLC player.  I'll spring for the Onkyo one after I play around with it a little more to make sure I like the interface.  Got the Lightning to USB from Denon only.  Is that not capable of hi-res playback?  

BTW I got the HA-2, and the DA-10 definitely sounds different.  I mainly was still interested to see how they would drive the HD800.  To me the HA-2 is a little more melodic, it's warmer, the highs aren't as piercing.  Fuller vocals too.  I didn't use the bass boost.  It sounded bloomy to me on, so I left it off.  The DA-10 has a higher resolution in the treble, but is prone to a really sharp treble.  But when I went to the HA-2 I felt like some highs were missing.  I was really hoping to keep just one of them, but for now both will stay since they are pretty different.  

Also the biggest differentiator for me are two things: portability and compatibility.  The HA-2 is both more portable (so thin and well built) and also works great with my note 2.  I'm still disappointed in the DAP offerings so am going to go the phone+dac/amp route for now.  The HA-2 fits that bill (since I'm pairing it with Android for storage reasons).  It's basically still a DAP to me since I still have my main phone too.  The DA-10 is a good bit chunkier, but I also like the look too.  

I still don't think either of them are really good at driving the HD800.  The volume is there, but the presence is not.  At times it felt a bit hollow.  I switched to my HA-1 and it was a major improvement (as it should be).  I don't get this feeling as much with my IE800s.  I still need a better amp than the HA-1 though.  

May 1, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #278 of 353
  Good for you!  My Samsung won't work with it even if I have the correct settings and OTG cable.  It'll be paired with my iPhone instead.  But I prefer to have them separate so if I want to browse the web I don't have to hold a brick in my hand.  I'm not sure how to make this work.  I think I'll just buy a cheap Sony phone like a T2 ultra to pair it with.  I usually carry a briefcase or backpack around anyway.  When I don't I'm with my wife and I don't think she would appreciate me just listening to music!

Anybody also have the OPPO HA-2?  I'm seriously thinking about getting one to compare.  It has greater compatibility with Android phones I think, and is slimmer (by alot).  

make sure u connect the otg cable to your phone  and the micro usb--to usb to ur da 10

i did by mistake do the opposite silly me now everything works

May 1, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #279 of 353
Thanks but I did connect the right side since it works with other DAC/AMP but not the DA-10.  Somehow Sony has a higher voltage or something not sure.  So far I know Sony and Apple works.  Anything else?

May 1, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #280 of 353
  Thanks but I did connect the right side since it works with other DAC/AMP but not the DA-10.  Somehow Sony has a higher voltage or something not sure.  So far I know Sony and Apple works.  Anything else?

lg g3 works too

i am sure something u doing is not right as i tried it with htc m8 too

May 1, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #281 of 353
Really.  Maybe it's just my phone?  Since I installed custom firmware?  Do you have a Samsung you can try it on?  But my Oppo HA-2 works just fine with my Samsung.  The more I listen the more I like the DA-10 than the HA-2 though, so that's a problem for me.  Even my nuForce uDAC works LOL.  

May 1, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #282 of 353
i dont have a samsung

try to go stock rom on ur samsung and see if it works

May 1, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #283 of 353
Sorry to be a spoil sport but the only thing that works on the iPhone to all the higher res playback is the http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter
The denon included cable doesn't pass through the higher res so it's been unused in the box for me :frowning2:

May 1, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #284 of 353
Hmmm...I want able to get it to work with my HTC M8, tried a few cables and software. Works fine with my iPad 3, that's what I use it with. The Onkyo player doesn't seem to exist for the iPad3, though (at least couldn't find it in the Apple app store).

May 1, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #285 of 353
I think it does, you just have to change the filter from "iPad only" to "iPhone only"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back