DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by hifirobot, Jul 21, 2014.
Tags:
First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
  1. doctorjazz
    I have one foe a while, haven't used it much (just have other stuff plugged in most of my gear), thinking of bringing it to the Philly meet tomorrow, do DAC duty (line out from laptop into the Denon, into MicroZOTL2 amp, TIDAL as source), have used the DAC before, think it's pretty good (but have Geek Out Special Edition V1 into Revive/MicroZOTL2 doing duty from my PC, use a Pono as DAP, HTC10 phone which doesn't need external dac, and extra pieces are a PIA, so it mostly collects dust).

drbluenewmexico likes this.
  2. PantsUK
    Well everything said about this is correct.  The channels are imbalanced when using IEMs at extremely low volumes, not a problem for me as I normally listed considerably louder than this with full size cans I have no issue.  I'm far from qualified to judge but to me the quality of sound both from the DAC and AMP are really very very good and for the price I paid (£99) it was new and boxed it was a complete bargain.  I've just ordered some B&W P7s (£165 another bargain) to go with it so will update my views after this but with my Shure se535 it was excellent to my ears and a massive upgrade from both the onboard sound and 2 other DACs I've got, in fact I feel this is seriously underrated.

3. audionewbi
    P7 should pair nicely with DA-10. My biggest regret us not buying and ipod classic when I had a chance. With Denon what you want to so is load 16/44.1 quality files and enjoy its advance DSP upsampling.

Denon was so close to getting it right but not close enough.

4. PantsUK
    Just got some Fostex T40rps mk3 for 99 new, not sure how well it will drive those though, we'll see and I'm done spending for the month before my wife notices! :D

5. BlinkST
    I've spent about an hour with this, and I can't hear any real difference between it (via usb) and my MacBook pro's headphone port. I'm not sure the DAC is even doing anything. The sound is marginally better than the iPhone's lightning-to-headphone jack adapter at best.

6. drbluenewmexico
    Hmm mines a friend not a foe haha
    I love the sound but the channels are mismatched at low volumes so I have to use a Shure volume attenuator with it
    But it does have a classic Demon warm sound and sounds good when well adjusted at super discounts it's worth collecting if u like the Denon sound

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    doctorjazz likes this.
  7. jambul
    Just found out that the output impedance of this fella is 10.x ohm..

It might be the culprit of the love and hate of this fella

First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23