Denon D7100?!
Feb 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #1,186 of 1,920
Quote:
[size=x-small]I'm surprised nobody has taken the cups [/size]apart[size=x-small] and tried dampening them. Or do you just consider it a lost cause?[/size]

I've not tried any additional dampening on the D7100's cups, but I've taken a look inside when I had them. There's precious little room in which dampening material could be inserted - the driver almost touches the raised center of the earcups - and in the lower portion of the cup there's already some dampening material. I suppose whoever decided to put it there didn't just leave out the upper portion for no reason. But perhaps it would be worth trying. Here are some pictures of the earcups:

driver:

On a side note, I miss the comfy earpads of the D7100.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,189 of 1,920
Quote:
[size=x-small]I'm surprised nobody has taken the cups [/size]apart[size=x-small] and tried dampening them. Or do you just consider it a lost cause?[/size]

Really a lost cause. The new Fostex TH-600 are so far set at around $800 new, and it's a near impossibility for them to be worse than the D7100. If you want a higher end closed, keep you eyes open as these will be hitting the streets soon.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #1,190 of 1,920
Feb 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,191 of 1,920
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
D7000 is high end while d7100 is mid-fi at best.

That's a bold statement. Could you provide at least some support for your claim?

well i haven't heard the d7100, but i did get to listen to the d600, and they where decent, but not worth the price, considering even the old denon d2000 where better than those (only 200 dollars, more transparency, cleaner bass, etc). just hearing the new overall sound + quality, its pretty obvious that they're a step down from the previous generation.

the graphs explain the rest of it

Okay wait, hold on a second here.  I'd like to point out that I have spent some time with two different D7100 units.  And I must say that they sounded rather dissimilar from one another.  While the first one (which might have been a pre-production version) wasn't that great.  The one currently in my possession sounds much, much better.  It does NOT sound nearly as bad as Tyll's graphs would imply.  In fact, I am having a rather difficult time correlating what I see in his graphs with what I hear.  So much so that I'm inclined to believe that someone might have shipped him a pre-production unit or otherwise defective unit.

Anyway, just saying that I rather enjoy the D7100 atm, and I think that some of the bashing is a bit undeserved.  For those who haven't heard it, I suggest you beg, borrow or steal a unit and audition it for yourselves before making a final judgment.  If you're gonna be in Northern California this coming weekend, I'll bring my pair to the SF meet.

On a side note, and meant only as a kind reminder, but isn't there some rule that we don't make declaratory statements about cans we don't own (or otherwise have a reasonable amount of experience with)? 
smile.gif

And regarding korzena's original question, I can't say anything about how the D7100 sounds in relation to the D7000 as I haven't heard the D7000 yet.  Sorry. 
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,193 of 1,920
Quote:
+1 to that.. headphones whos main focus is not audio.. hmm

Beats? Or just about anything in the Apple Store. Remember the new line was introduced pretty much to target the Beats crowd. They are meant to look good and have tons of gimmick to easily attract customers.

It's like cars, a Mercedes C-class has much nicer interior but can't catch up to a similarly priced/cheaper Subaru BRZ. To have both you may need 6 figures and up.
Quote:
I  meant, you didn't specify what they have to offer beside the sound, because you said, we shouldn't judge the d7100 based on sound only.

I though it is clear enough. Headphone for home use that doubles as a portable alternative. Removable cable, storage pouch, fancy durable packaging that also serves as storage boxes nicely (the D5000's box really disappointed me in this regard). The cables themselves seem to be of high quality, better than Monster's for sure. With the D7100 you also get a nice stand which I wish they would sell separately so I can get one for my D7000. 

Another thing: the D600 and D7100's ear cups protrude out a lot, that's why they sound very open for closed-back cans, imaging is decent too. Something most other portables fail at, and since I listen to a lot of instrumentals, I can tolerate the extra bulkiness. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,194 of 1,920
Quote:

Okay wait, hold on a second here.  I'd like to point out that I have spent some time with two different D7100 units.  And I must say that they sounded rather dissimilar from one another.  While the first one (which might have been a pre-production version) wasn't that great.  The one currently in my possession sounds much, much better.  It does NOT sound nearly as bad as Tyll's graphs would imply.  In fact, I am having a rather difficult time correlating what I see in his graphs with what I hear.  So much so that I'm inclined to believe that someone might have shipped him a pre-production unit or otherwise defective unit.

Anyway, just saying that I rather enjoy the D7100 atm, and I think that some of the bashing is a bit undeserved.  For those who haven't heard it, I suggest you beg, borrow or steal a unit and audition it for yourselves before making a final judgment.  If you're gonna be in Northern California this coming weekend, I'll bring my pair to the SF meet.

On a side note, and meant only as a kind reminder, but isn't there some rule that we don't make declaratory statements about cans we don't own (or otherwise have a reasonable amount of experience with)? 
smile.gif

And regarding korzena's original question, I can't say anything about how the D7100 sounds in relation to the D7000 as I haven't heard the D7000 yet.  Sorry. 
redface.gif

We need more Music Maniac supporters. Salute!

Just curious though, what is your pair's S/N? I have no idea how old or new my pair is, since it was the last one at headroom that sold for 799.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,195 of 1,920
Quote:

Really a lost cause. The new Fostex TH-600 are so far set at around $800 new, and it's a near impossibility for them to be worse than the D7100. If you want a higher end closed, keep you eyes open as these will be hitting the streets soon.

any idea when these will come out? it could potentially affect the market price of the discontinued denons, especially if their sound is anything similar. (could even be worse, the TH-600 might end up being a re-release of the D7k, which would kill D7k prices).

Quote:
What I don't understand is why you're posting in this forum? Or you PERSONAL opinion on this headphones is valuable in any aspect?
It is amazing to see comments like this from people who have none or very limited experience with this headphones.

umm ok?

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,196 of 1,920
Trashing gear you haven't listened to music with is honestly rather uncool. 

Anyhow, I did try these in store the other day. They were plugged into a small amp through which it was possible to feed my iPhone but impossible to listen without due to the way they were attached to the display with the amp inside it. The sound wasn't as bad as I remembered it the first time I tried them, but OH MY GOD THE TREBLE!  I think they were honestly the brightest cans I've heard since the Qualias. It was rather like the effect you get when you put G-pads on a pair of 325is (a lot of treble plus a lot more). They'd probably sound OK with classical, since a huge treble peak tends to give the instruments some "air".

I think Fostex are going to be taking Denon's place in Head-Fi with their new headphones.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,197 of 1,920
Quote:

Anyhow, I did try these in store the other day. They were plugged into a small amp through which it was possible to feed my iPhone but impossible to listen without due to the way they were attached to the display with the amp inside it. The sound wasn't as bad as I remembered it the first time I tried them, but OH MY GOD THE TREBLE!  I think they were honestly the brightest cans I've heard since the Qualias. It was rather like the effect you get when you put G-pads on a pair of 325is (a lot of treble plus a lot more). They'd probably sound OK with classical, since a huge treble peak tends to give the instruments some "air".

I think Fostex are going to be taking Denon's place in Head-Fi with their new headphones.

Throw in the sloppy bass on the Denons, the TH-900s are leagues above them. Agreed here.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,198 of 1,920
Quote:

Have you heard the HD800, if so do you think the 7100 is just as bright as the 800?

If that's the case I think my ears are finally ready for the HD800 after all this training.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,199 of 1,920
Quote:
Another thing: the D600 and D7100's ear cups protrude out a lot, that's why they sound very open for closed-back cans, imaging is decent too. Something most other portables fail at, and since I listen to a lot of instrumentals, I can tolerate the extra bulkiness. 

That's actually something I find somewhat strange. For the amount the earcups protrude, the interior space of the cups is very small.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #1,200 of 1,920
Quote:
We need more Music Maniac supporters. Salute!

Just curious though, what is your pair's S/N? I have no idea how old or new my pair is, since it was the last one at headroom that sold for 799.

I haven't heard the D600 or the new D340 yet so I can't quite support the entire line just yet.  I only have the D7100 for now, so I guess I'm more of an Artisan supporter? 
smile.gif

Where do I find the S/N?  There doesn't appear to be an S/N on the unit itself.  There are several stickers on the box though, and they all have what could be considered a S/N.

Quote:
OH MY GOD THE TREBLE!

I know EXACTLY what you mean.  I beat my pair into submission with 120 hours of pink noise at -15dB.  Now it whispers gently (and with civility) where it once screeched at times.

Quote:
Have you heard the HD800, if so do you think the 7100 is just as bright as the 800?

Having heard both, I'd say that the D7100 is brighter right out of the box as it has some harsh peaks before burn-in.  But after burn-in (120 hours in my case), it has calmed down significantly.  If you liked the way that D7100s sound right out of the box, you'll likely have no issues with the HD 800 at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back