Denon D7100?!
Jan 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,156 of 1,920
Quote:

This is a good read through from headroom on it.
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

Here's a great video from Tyll at innerfidelity showing how these measurements are taken, and what they can tell you. I have this set to the point where he talks specifically about the 50Hz wave. Great two part video IMO. He also shows you how adjusting headphones and seating them properly really changes the sound. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ClNJeHrAw&t=2m0s

Weird how the AKG 70x series seems to have that happen. I think at some point someone had religiously recorded the time spent on his K701 and said at 1500 hours there was a huge change. 

Thanks!

Yes - his brain broke.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,158 of 1,920
Quote:

It took my D5000 appx 150 hours to get themselves right; Bass was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. Things got good to 500 hours. Then came "1,250" and a change was afoot, slowly sweetening. Between hours 1,500-1,900 the Denons were completely different cans...refined like I hadn't heard them before.
wink.gif

I experienced fewer shifts in a shorter amount of time with the D7000, however. Only two changes in fact and both below 200 hours. Now sitting at 1,791 hours, I simply got what I got...we love 'em!

Fellow TMACian I really don't believe that :/ 1000 hours, your screwing with me right? that what the winky face is for? If not then its definitely your mind.

I really was looking forward to February, but the latest suggestions left me curbside waiting for a triumphant TMAC return in March. 1,000 hours? NO, we no jokin', baby! Seriously, what I did not  claim is that it took that long to burn-in. And a very BIG key is missing from my previous post (overlooked). I merely pointed out that the cans sweetened noticeably between 1,500-1,900 hours and I first detected this change 'round 1,250 hours. Oh, and if I was able to achieve a much deeper and emotional connection with the music by listening to the D5000 for many hours, I became more experienced 
tongue_smile.gif
. Where's the Allen Iverson vid talking about "It's practice!" ?

What I neglected to mention - and this is my view - is that my cans benefited from "play-in." Which is why I thought it was important to mention run-time. They were my only premium cans and were in consistent use. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,160 of 1,920
Quote:

I really was looking forward to February, but the latest suggestions left me curbside waiting for a triumphant TMAC return in March. 1,000 hours? NO, we no jokin', baby! Seriously, what I did not  claim is that it took that long to burn-in. And a very BIG key is missing from my previous post (overlooked). I merely pointed out that the cans sweetened noticeably between 1,500-1,900 hours and I first detected this change 'round 1,250 hours. Oh, and if I was able to achieve a much deeper and emotional connection with the music by listening to the D5000 for many hours, I became more experienced 
tongue_smile.gif
. Where's the Allen Iverson vid talking about "It's practice!" ?

What I neglected to mention - and this is my view - is that my cans benefited from "play-in." Which is why I thought it was important to mention run-time. They were my only premium cans and were in consistent use. 

Aha - then it is your brain to be blunt, you were becoming accustomed to the sound, what to listen for, and your brain emphasizes the parts you look forward to most, making it more euphoric, to you. More or less on the right track? 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,161 of 1,920
Are you suggesting my former diverse music library of 54,000 tracks wasn't big enough?
normal_smile .gif
 Brain gets partial credit. Emotions get partial credit. However, components that are "cooked" can and sometimes do sound different than seldom used gear. 

Headphones and other components that are use to having juice run through them, may return to their previous state when out of the rotation; not turned on. In my listening room, warmed electronics and cold electronics do not sound the same. I've experienced this first hand over the years. Both my vacuum tube amp and vintage stereo receiver take time to fully come on song...

What I find odd (sometimes) is members who may own 12 premium cans, pick a pair up that hasn't been played in 12 months and declare in only 12 minutes of listening what it sounds like. And put them down for something else. Everyone has a different reality, I suppose.
rolleyes.gif

Back on topic - some how, some way a D7100 loaner shows up, I'm gonna make 'em sweat! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,162 of 1,920
Quote:
Are you suggesting my former diverse music library of 54,000 tracks wasn't big enough?
normal_smile .gif
 Brain gets partial credit. Emotions get partial credit. However, components that are "cooked" can and sometimes do sound different than seldom used gear. 

Headphones and other components that are use to having juice run through them, may return to their previous state when out of the rotation; not turned on. In my listening room, warmed electronics and cold electronics do not sound the same. I've experienced this first hand over the years. Both my vacuum tube amp and vintage stereo receiver take time to fully come on song...

What I find odd (sometimes) is members who may own 12 premium cans, pick a pair up that hasn't been played in 12 months and declare in only 12 minutes of listening what it sounds like. And put them down for something else. Everyone has a different reality, I suppose.
rolleyes.gif

Back on topic - some how, some way a D7100 loaner shows up, I'm gonna make 'em sweat! 
evil_smiley.gif

Actually I agree, Bought my dad a fully refurbished Marantz 2270 (shipping that to South Africa was another mission) and after about 20min it gets that something extra. 

So many menial factors, it actually builds up

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #1,163 of 1,920
My replacement D7100 arrived today and I just gave them a quick listen to ensure the new pair is correct and it is.  On to the break-in, again.

Look forward to hearing your critique. :cool:

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,164 of 1,920
Quote:
normal_smile .gif

rolleyes.gif

evil_smiley.gif

I'd be hesitant to say solid state devices experience sonic changes during "warm up".  Tubes are another whole can of worms.

You know, our bodies control acoustic transmission over long duration input with musculature.  Ever been in a quiet place for a long time and then throw on a set of cans?  I bet the initial listening volume is lower
wink_face.gif

I'd be more inclined to believe in "ear warm ups" (which it really isn't at all a warm up).  I don't believe most headphone drivers are elastic, or have plastic properties when subjected to a signal for an extended period of time.  This would suggest that not running a current through a driver for a period of time would actually change its physical properties.  To me, that seems harder to believe than our physiology making adjustments (which is true).

Unless our drivers are made of some sort of semi-aqueous material...

I'm open for a constructive, intuitive response

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,165 of 1,920
Quote:
Quote:
normal_smile .gif

rolleyes.gif

evil_smiley.gif

I'd be hesitant to say solid state devices experience sonic changes during "warm up".  Tubes are another whole can of worms.

You know, our bodies control acoustic transmission over long duration input with musculature.  Ever been in a quiet place for a long time and then throw on a set of cans?  I bet the initial listening volume is lower
wink_face.gif

I'd be more inclined to believe in "ear warm ups" (which it really isn't at all a warm up).  I don't believe most headphone drivers are elastic, or have plastic properties when subjected to a signal for an extended period of time.  This would suggest that not running a current through a driver for a period of time would actually change its physical properties.  To me, that seems harder to believe than our physiology making adjustments (which is true).

Unless our drivers are made of some sort of semi-aqueous material...

I'm open for a constructive, intuitive response

"Ever been in a quiet place for a long time and then throw on a set of cans? I bet the initial listening volume is lower 
wink_face.gif
." 
 I will strive for brevity, being this is a Denon D7100 thread. Typically, my sessions are scheduled in advance. I generally engage in two hour warm ups (most of the time)...because I can. And seating is usually very late - round midnight - with a silent background.

I always start out low to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises. However, where I'm at emotionally will determine what track at what volume even at the start. You'd 
tongue_smile.gif
 lose that bet!

Also, you say that you'd be hesitant to say that solid state devices experience sonic changes during warm up. Two things you might wanna consider is age and design. Both my 1977 Pioneer SX-650 stereo receiver and 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 stereo receiver are no youngin's. And take some time to come on song. And boy, when the latter amp does...look out! Same goes for my 1977 Sony PS-X5 Turntable.

Things to consider before my bedtime later: Do cables and electronic pieces age (oxidize)? If no, great! If yes, at what rate? Would there be any differences between states of use - currently flowing like it's 1999 vs seldom used stuff?
popcorn.gif

Yes, we are instruments and can use warming up ourselves at times.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,166 of 1,920
Quote:

It took my D5000 appx 150 hours to get themselves right; Bass was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. Things got good to 500 hours. Then came "1,250" and a change was afoot, slowly sweetening. Between hours 1,500-1,900 the Denons were completely different cans...refined like I hadn't heard them before.
wink.gif

I experienced fewer shifts in a shorter amount of time with the D7000, however. Only two changes in fact and both below 200 hours. Now sitting at 1,791 hours, I simply got what I got...we love 'em!

Amazingly long brain burn-in time! But I would rather believe it's been connected more with emotions from other areas of life than from the headphones themselves. Just my opinion.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,167 of 1,920
Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

Amazingly long brain burn-in time! But I would rather believe it's been connected more with emotions from other areas of life than from the headphones themselves. Just my opinion.

I'll politely disagree with 150 hours being an amazingly long brain burn-in time. Possible, yes, but in my view this isn't strictly limited to the brain.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,168 of 1,920
I usually burn-in a headphone for a few days and then listen to them on and off for the next few days/weeks/months.  Living with something is very different from trying something for a few hours.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,169 of 1,920
I live with my cans from the start...and start paying attention...throughout its entire journey.
wink.gif
 Who no like intimacy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back