Denon D7100?!
Jun 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #571 of 1,920
Fuuuuuuuuuugly, plastic everywhere, reduced amounts of wood from the previous version, more flimsier looking, look like a throwback to one of those 'rapper' endorsed headphones. Gee I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped on the bandwagon and threw in noise cancelling technology just to attract the Beats crowd.

May this stupid attention grabbing thing flop.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #572 of 1,920
well maybe this model doesn't have noise cancelling but denon does sell noise cancelling headphones that regularly compete with bose.....

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #576 of 1,920
well, the way i look at it is,  it's not hard to know what people want.  that's what this website is for.  do a little researching.  that simple. there are bad things in headphones that are no-no's and good things that if you can improve upon then awesome.  Headphones have been available for a long time.  Its all about sound on this  website.  If you can't meet or excel at what we want them go home.  Don't try to con us and sell super, over priced, not so bad stuff that we've all seen on other headphones.  Make a real change and give us something to really talk about.  not complain about.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #577 of 1,920
My biggest two gripes with the design is that it looks like one of those stupid 'rapper' can designs and the fact that the materials look cheaper than the D7000.

Will it sound better than the D7000? I doubt it, it might sound different Why would they get rid of the D7000 if they were going to create something better? They would had just leapt over the D7000 like Sennheiser did with the HD650 and left the D7000 as a lower alternative.

We will just have to see.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #578 of 1,920
Looking at this shot of the D7100, it doesn't look bad:

That's not brown plastic like I originally thought, but rather actual wood. Why on Earth they'd proceed to cover said wood up with plastic is beyond me, but it's miles ahead of those other two abominations in the background.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #579 of 1,920
My eyes are still unable to adjust to the covering concept.
ph34r.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #580 of 1,920
Quote:

That's not brown plastic like I originally thought, but rather actual wood. Why on Earth they'd proceed to cover said wood up with plastic is beyond me, but it's miles ahead of those other two abominations in the background.

Plastic is cheaper than wood. Cut costs, charge very high MSRP ($1299), and add a replaceable cable to distract people from these cost cutting measures. People will still buy it and probably enjoy it, so it's a win win for Denon.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #581 of 1,920
Quote:

I agree completely, i dont mind the D7100, the others make me wanna vomit

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #582 of 1,920
The press release -

"Tuned by the Cali Swag District solely to their song teach me how to dougie, the new Denon D7100 boasts both drivers and mahogany that have been cured in the finest crunk juice for a fuller sound. The cable is magnetically shielded so as not to interfere with your grill. Finally, the voice coils themselves are wound in the shape of a dollar sign which makes the sound punchier and more cash-money"

All joking aside, Denon's track record suggests these will probably sound pretty damn good. The mahogany does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity though. It will be interesting to see how many potential 7100 customers will be put off by that kind of styling at this kind of price level. I would not be suprised if the cheaper models get a broader audience of young people on board though and if the sonics are up to par, that might well be good for Denon and headfi.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #583 of 1,920
Quote:
The press release -

"Tuned by the Cali Swag District solely to their song teach me how to dougie, the new Denon D7100 boasts both drivers and mahogany that have been cured in the finest crunk juice for a fuller sound. The cable is magnetically shielded so as not to interfere with your grill. Finally, the voice coils themselves are wound in the shape of a dollar sign which makes the sound punchier and more cash-money"

All joking aside, Denon's track record suggests these will probably sound pretty damn good. The mahogany does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity though. It will be interesting to see how many potential 7100 customers will be put off by that kind of styling at this kind of price level. I would not be suprised if the cheaper models get a broader audience of young people on board though and if the sonics are up to par, that might well be good for Denon and headfi.

It's going to be pretty hard to get the mindless drones to put down the 'greatest evah' piece of audio equipment in history, the Beats by Dr Dre, but good luck to Denon.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #584 of 1,920

It's like throwing a burqa over Halle Berry.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #585 of 1,920

I think it's supposed to protect the wood, as the whole series seems to be tuned for portable use.

But for portable use I far prefer the abomination on the left :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back