Denon D7100?!
Jun 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #601 of 1,920
This is the ugliest Denon heapdhone I've seen for years.

Sound may be superior to the D7000 but doesn't look very professional.

Very disappointed.. :frowning2:

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #602 of 1,920
Quote:
Sure, the new model may look very different, but who cares about that, the sound should have the main focus not the looks, I'm sure the AH-D7100 will sound amazing :)

Maybe.  But for $1200 I would not feel like I got the exotic/elite piece of rarified machinery I paid for every time I picked it up compared to other headphones at that price point that are also no slouches in performance.  Unless they do something very exotic with the sound, that's going to be a very tough sell at that price.  Even if the rest of the line does well, it's like obskovitch said, it's a halo product to draw attention to the ones that will sell.  I just can't see a relatively generic looking product competing for numbers very well at a price point dominated by things heralded for both performance and an appearance/feel of being exotic. 

Quote:
Isnt that silver thing on the 7100 METAL rather than plastic?

Painted carbon-fiber AFAIK.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #603 of 1,920
I believe the silver arms are of some sort of glass fibre? Like an interlaced fiberglass.. I'm not quite sure

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #604 of 1,920
They'd have to offer similar or better  sound quality and comfort than other headphone priced in the same range. Before , denon line was competitive, because of their design, we lost that.
Now between the mildly ugly  hd800, ultrasone 8, and the d7100, guess which one people would choose.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #605 of 1,920
Quote:
They'd have to offer similar or better  sound quality and comfort than other headphone priced in the same range. Before , denon line was competitive, because of their design, we lost that.
Now between the mildly ugly  hd800, ultrasone 8, and the d7100, guess which one people would choose.

Maybe none of the above.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #606 of 1,920
I predict that we'll see a lot of people buying replacement headbands for D7100's if they turn out to sound good.  

And from my understanding the silvery part of the headband is chrome plated plastic, basically the same deal as the "brightwork" seen on a lot of cars.  It would be a case of "I can't believe it's not metal", but it's usually pretty obvious.  

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #607 of 1,920
Do you guys think these will sell at MSRP or be significantly discounted like the D7K was for the past few years?

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I don't really mind the look of them at all. They are def. funky looking, but I don't think its a bad thing. I'm more concerned about build and of course sound quality. I won't pay $1200 for them, but if they ever become discounted at say $800 with positive reviews on SQ I can easily see myself getting a pair.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #608 of 1,920
Quote:
Do you guys think these will sell at MSRP or be significantly discounted like the D7K was for the past few years?

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I don't really mind the look of them at all. They are def. funky looking, but I don't think its a bad thing. I'm more concerned about build and of course sound quality. I won't pay $1200 for them, but if they ever become discounted at say $800 with positive reviews on SQ I can easily see myself getting a pair.

If they are held to MSRP +/- $200, they won't sell.

There are too many outstanding cans at $700 and up.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #609 of 1,920

Out of 3 you mentioned above, if is strictly for the design then I will go with Ultrasone cans, follow by HD800.

I will never get D7100 in my lifetime or Fostex TH-900, where they came up with this kind of design ?

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #610 of 1,920
Quote:

Out of 3 you mentioned above, if is strictly for the design then I will go with Ultrasone cans, follow by HD800.

I will never get D7100 in my lifetime or Fostex TH-900, where they came up with this kind of design ?

I love the "urushi" paint on the fostex, but seems that the consensus , is that their sound quality is not worth the price.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #611 of 1,920
Quote:
I love the "urushi" paint on the fostex, but seems that the consensus , is that their sound quality is not worth the price.

What consensus?

Quote:

What, exactly, do you find offensive about the TH900's design? It's pretty straight forward like the rest of the Denon range that Fostex made. The lacquer is a bit flashy, but then you said you like the look of the Edition 8, so surely that can't be it...

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #612 of 1,920
Quote:
What, exactly, do you find offensive about the TH900's design? It's pretty straight forward like the rest of the Denon range that Fostex made. The lacquer is a bit flashy, but then you said you like the look of the Edition 8, so surely that can't be it...

I am sure TH900 sounds good as I read many of your reviews but the whole red colored cup doesn't cut it for me.
Everyone has their taste, for me I prefer antique or semi antique aesthetic design like LCD2/3, MDR10 or AH-D7000.
Again IMO, TH900 and the new D7100 looks cheap for me.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #614 of 1,920
Quote:

I am sure TH900 sounds good as I read many of your reviews but the whole red colored cup doesn't cut it for me.
Everyone has their taste, for me I prefer antique or semi antique aesthetic design like LCD2/3, MDR10 or AH-D7000.
Again IMO, TH900 and the new D7100 looks cheap for me.

I definitely get that we all have unique taste, but I just find it a bit surprising to see that you like the D7000, but then put the TH900 in the same category as the downright repulsive D7100 just because of the color of the cups.

The design of the TH900 isn't new, nor is it radical. It's basically the D7000's design but uses a 100+ year old Japanese lacquering technique on the cups. You can't get much more "antique" than that. : P

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #615 of 1,920
Quote:

I definitely get that we all have unique taste, but I just find it a bit surprising to see that you like the D7000, but then put the TH900 in the same category as the downright repulsive D7100 just because of the color of the cups.

The design of the TH900 isn't new, nor is it radical. It's basically the D7000's design but uses a 100+ year old Japanese lacquering technique on the cups. You can't get much more "antique" than that. : P

Hey if you are happy that's all that counts :wink:

For me I prefer natural brown colored cup than red urishi tree color, maybe the whole reason Fostex picked urushi finish because it's very resistant to the acid and the heat, not that I am planning to use it in the kitchen.

I am happy that you own one and you are happy about it. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back