Denon D7100?!
Aug 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,756 of 1,920
Quote:
No I have not listened to the LCD3 because I do not like open back headphones, did you not read that? What you would pay and what someone else would pay is entirely different.  To each their own.  To be quite frank, I wouldn't pay more than 700 dollars for headphones period I don't care if they are made from gold.  Just lurking on this forum has made me VERY speculative towards what some people recommend and "hear".  This forum itself is being treated like a marketplace with very little amount of people actually knowing what they are talking about and a very large amount of people just going along.

I'm being totally serious here, I prefer the new 2013 Beats Studios to the D7100s. Actually surprisingly, Beats didn't do too badly with these new headphones. I'm glad you like them though and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,757 of 1,920
Quote:
I'm being totally serious here, I prefer the new 2013 Beats Studios to the D7100s. Actually surprisingly, Beats didn't do too badly with these new headphones. I'm glad you like them though and in the end, that's all that really matters.

I am sorry if I am coming a bit steep but it just doesn't make sense.  How long have you had the D7100s for?

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,758 of 1,920
Quote:
I am sorry if I am coming a bit steep but it just doesn't make sense.  How long have you had the D7100s for?

I've heard them for 3 separate sessions, each about 20 minutes played off a Peachtree iNova. Denon should go back to Fostex and beg them back IMO. 

Have you heard both headphones? That's just how much I dislike the D7100s...and the Canadian in me wants to apologize to you for that, but that's just how it is. 
size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,759 of 1,920
Does anybody know a seriously good audio cable for these headphones? One of my lines has in/out fading on the 1m line that was packed with it...I suppose because it was only 1m long and i had to stretch it quite a bit to physically move anywhere.

i cant find any that have similar males on the cans, im in Sydney btw so would need to deliver to Aus.
I have tried Oyaide, Monster, Norse...or have i missed something there?
Even cant find any with Denon site...

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,760 of 1,920
Sound and build quality wise I'd say the 7100 is worth about $600. Whether you want to pay the other 3-400 for the fancy brand name/box/stand/cables is entirely up to you. Likewise if you get the LCD-3 you obviously get the better sound quality but that comes at the cost of a capable amp, no isolation (which I don't actually mind) and having a brick on your head (this I do). I play games for hours straight while listening to music so the LCD-2 or 3 is not ideal. All headphones have faults here and there, it's just whatever clicks the most for a particular person. That being said I would never pay $1200 for the D7100 though, Denon may have thought too highly of themselves to come up with that ridiculous MSRP.    

I've wanted to do a 3-way shootout between the D7000, D7100 and TH900, just haven't been able to acquire funds for the last one yet. School is starting soon and I have to pay rent/textbooks/insurance/storage etc. :"( I plan to sell the D7000 eventually but I really want to have an A/B with the TH900 first. 

@SemiOne: I believe Moon Audio makes cables for the new Denons, don't know if they will ship to Aus though. My iPhone cable actually crapped out as well, just too lazy to send it back for warranty, which you can actually do as well. I did take the headphones outside during Wisconsin winter, maybe shouldn't have done that. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,761 of 1,920
Quote:
No I have not listened to the LCD3 because I do not like open back headphones, did you not read that? What you would pay and what someone else would pay is entirely different.  To each their own.  To be quite frank, I wouldn't pay more than 700 dollars for headphones period I don't care if they are made from gold.  Just lurking on this forum has made me VERY speculative towards what some people recommend and "hear".  This forum itself is being treated like a marketplace with very little amount of people actually knowing what they are talking about and a very large amount of people just going along.

Bravo for you.  If I listened to the unwashed masses, I would have not gotten the Pro900 (love it), D600 (love it), heck, even the D2000 was going to be "piercing" - it is an amazing headphone!   Early on, I thought the high post count folks "knew" more (and they don't since this is a "feel" hobby - we all hear slightly different or in reality very differently - knowledge has no impact on whether I like a headphone, it is personal preference).  I took their advice and bought the Mad Dog.  Hated it out of the box and tried all weekend to like it to no avail.  I was supposed to not listen to my D2000 for a week until I liked the Mad Dog.  HUH?????  I knew right then this was going to end poorly (now to be honest if I hooked them up to my vintage amps I might like them now but I don't think I'd love them like I do all my other top 6), so sent them back, disillusioned and confused - an "expert" was wrong!!!    Same with the V-Moda M-100 - tried to like them, tried to make it comfortable (rope mod, multiple methods), and not only was it uncomfortable, the sound was nothing special and the bass couldn't top my Q40 to me.   Both instances taught me something.  We all chuckle internally at the "Mad Dog lover" (when we don't love them) or the "V-Moda hipster fanboy" (when we don't get the love) so honestly many/most of us do just this - some in writing, some in thought bubbles. 

The D7100 is loved by plenty of folks, and has a clear group who hate it for whatever reason and they try to change your mind or question you for even considering it.  Now I want to try it. 
biggrin.gif
I'd guess I would like them a lot.  Now to figure out how to get my hands on one...................

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #1,762 of 1,920
Quote:
Bravo for you.  If I listened to the unwashed masses, I would have not gotten the Pro900 (love it), D600 (love it), heck, even the D2000 was going to be "piercing" - it is an amazing headphone!   Early on, I thought the high post count folks "knew" more (and they don't since this is a "feel" hobby - we all hear slightly different or in reality very differently - knowledge has no impact on whether I like a headphone, it is personal preference).  I took their advice and bought the Mad Dog.  Hated it out of the box and tried all weekend to like it to no avail.  I was supposed to not listen to my D2000 for a week until I liked the Mad Dog.  HUH?????  I knew right then this was going to end poorly (now to be honest if I hooked them up to my vintage amps I might like them now but I don't think I'd love them like I do all my other top 6), so sent them back, disillusioned and confused - an "expert" was wrong!!!    Same with the V-Moda M-100 - tried to like them, tried to make it comfortable (rope mod, multiple methods), and not only was it uncomfortable, the sound was nothing special and the bass couldn't top my Q40 to me.   Both instances taught me something.  We all chuckle internally at the "Mad Dog lover" (when we don't love them) or the "V-Moda hipster fanboy" (when we don't get the love) so honestly many/most of us do just this - some in writing, some in thought bubbles. 

The D7100 is loved by plenty of folks, and has a clear group who hate it for whatever reason and they try to change your mind or question you for even considering it.  Now I want to try it. 
biggrin.gif
I'd guess I would like them a lot.  Now to figure out how to get my hands on one...................

Man, if you lived in the Illinois area I would have you come over and try them out with the WA7!  I am soon going to get the Burson HA-160 since I've heard a lot of positives for that amp with the D7100s.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,763 of 1,920
Quote:
Man, if you lived in the Illinois area I would have you come over and try them out with the WA7!  I am soon going to get the Burson HA-160 since I've heard a lot of positives for that amp with the D7100s.

I travel to the McHenry or Batavia area yearly so next trip may take you up on that.  I'll be it sounds great. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #1,764 of 1,920

biggrin.gif

Absolutely. I read plenty of reviews (even from people of this forum for other websites) took in all the opinions and based my decision on the facts vs op. I liked the look more of D7000 however since they weren't going anywhere besides the castle with the price that they are, I am happy with my decision. I bought these about 9 months ago, and you can imagine the negative outcry back then but looking back at things - man some of those voices have changed since. I was keen on the Creative Aurvana! had two pairs previously before making the price leap up to D7100. Of course there isn't one headphone for all but it is good for me and that's all that matters in the end. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,765 of 1,920
Quote:
I travel to the McHenry or Batavia area yearly so next trip may take you up on that.  I'll be it sounds great. 

I live in Chicago so feel free to let me know if you are dropping by.  And yes it does, if not that the aesthetics of it all sure wows all my friends when they come in.  

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,766 of 1,920
On other forums that I visit they are usually highly rated and there is plenty of people who prefer them over their LCD2, HE500, HE6 and PS1...

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,767 of 1,920
On other forums that I visit they are usually highly rated and there is plenty of people who prefer them over their LCD2, HE500, HE6 and PS1...

rly? thats a bit suprising. Haven't had the chance to actually listen to them but to me the asthetics is just really off putting for me. I have similar problems with HD 650/600 (but i have listened to those before)

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,768 of 1,920
Quote:

I demoed a pair at J&R I found them unimpressive for the price. The Beats Pro sitting next to it sounded better. Nothing close to the HE-500.

Having said this, my opinion is only an opinion, which I think people are forgetting here. I've been following this thread for quite some time now, and there are only a few unbiased posts describing the actual sound of these headphones. All this talk about "I like X better than Y" means absolutely nothing to me, or to anyone else. This thread is an utter crapshoot compared to other appreciation threads that are filled with detailed reviews and impressions. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #1,770 of 1,920
D7100 vs. LCD-3, this is a joke right ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back