Denon D7100?!
Aug 2, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,741 of 1,920
Actually, the D600 is the better one, the D7100s are the muddy, wooly-sounding things.

I've heard that! Denon screwed the pooch that bad? Pity.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,742 of 1,920
Quote:
Quote:
What luck!  I have the exact same cans! 
biggrin.gif

And how do you feel about the comparison between the two?

I'm actually working on a comparo of sorts now, to be published later this month.  But the short of it is that I like both for different reasons and genres.  At the current time, I like them both, nearly equally, as astounding as that may seem.

Quote:

I've got the D600 and D7000.  Love them both to be honest.  The D600 is so maligned on here it's almost Beats-like and I'll never understand it.  Doesn't matter - D600 lovers don't need validation, we just need the loudness switch engaged. 

The D600 is a nice sweet spot, and much more balanced than one might assume.  If the D7100 and D600 swapped signature, I would like the D7100 MUCH MORE! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Actually, the D600 is the better one, the D7100s are the muddy, wooly-sounding things.

Magick, once I get done with the comparo, we can schedule a little audition for you. 
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,743 of 1,920
I don't know, maybe he got a bad batch of headphones.  I had the pleasure of listening to the D7000s last week on my current setup and I did not notice any big differences between them and the D71000s.  I did feel that D7000s were a bit more comfortable though.  However the seal on the D7100s was superior.  People are really not giving these headphones any room to breathe.  I took the plunge and bought them when I could've bought a pair of high end Ultrasones or perhaps the old Denon lineup.  I don't regret a single dollar spent.  Especially because of how well these cans sound with the WA7.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,744 of 1,920
I don't know, maybe he got a bad batch of headphones.  I had the pleasure of listening to the D7000s last week on my current setup and I did not notice any big differences between them and the D71000s.  I did feel that D7000s were a bit more comfortable though.  However the seal on the D7100s was superior.  People are really not giving these headphones any room to breathe.  I took the plunge and bought them when I could've bought a pair of high end Ultrasones or perhaps the old Denon lineup.  I don't regret a single dollar spent.  Especially because of how well these cans sound with the WA7.

Just curious, is this your first high-end/mid-end(relative to people) headphone ? I had D7100 for two weeks and it sounded pretty bad and returned it.

Now I am thinking of buying AH-D600 for cheap movie/youtube headphone.

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,745 of 1,920
Quote:

Just curious, is this your first high-end/mid-end(relative to people) headphone ? I had D7100 for two weeks and it sounded pretty bad and returned it. Now I am thinking of buying AH-D600 for cheap movie/youtube headphone.

Yes.  My first purchase 2 years ago was the Sony MDR-V6.  Then I found Head-Fi, bit the bug, and wanted more.  I was ready to invest $1000+ for a setup which will suit my music taste.  I listen to only trance & progressive with sometimes vocals.  You could've spent a month with the headphones and I think you would've noticed a substantial improvement in bass control and articulation.  For me, the headphones really started to open up after a month of continuous use.  Bass became more controlled and I felt like the sound stage opened up a tiny bit as well.  I know this because I've been listening to the same playlist for about 2 months now and noticed it in some of the tracks that are heavy on vocals.  I am content now with this setup but a year from now I will be looking at purchasing the TH-900.  I do not like open headphones at all otherwise I would've went straight to the HD800s and never looked back.

I don't have experience listening to the D600s so I cannot give you any input on their sound vs the D7100s.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,746 of 1,920
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,748 of 1,920
I got a pair of Mundorf Cable (0.5mm 99% silver, 1% gold). I personally think it suits the D7100 very well. The occasionally harsh highs and boomy lows are now gone and the sound is so much more balanced. I have the D7000 and to me the D7100 sounds much better in everyway. To the extend that I like it more than my Auzede LCD-3.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,749 of 1,920
I got a pair of Mundorf Cable (0.5mm 99% silver, 1% gold). I personally think it suits the D7100 very well. The occasionally harsh highs and boomy lows are now gone and the sound is so much more balanced. I have the D7000 and to me the D7100 sounds much better in everyway. To the extend that I like it more than my Auzede LCD-3.

Woah, now that is a first on this forum. I've read every single page pretty much but no one has compared it to be better than LCD3 or the D7000. Now I am looking forward to that comparison between them even more! I think I will order the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable and give write my impressions here.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,750 of 1,920
Woah, now that is a first on this forum. I've read every single page pretty much but no one has compared it to be better than LCD3 or the D7000. Now I am looking forward to that comparison between them even more! I think I will order the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable and give write my impressions here.

It really, really isn't. At all.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,753 of 1,920

lol D7100 vs. LCD-3? really?

Going back to your previous post of why anyone would prefer the D7100 over the D7000 and the LCD3. Simple actually and here is why. 1.) I don't like open back headphones so I won't be picking up LCD2 or 3 for that matter. 2.) When it comes to vs the D7000. Ive listened to them as well after I broke in my D7100s. I did not notice any difference between the headphones except for the the D7100 having more bass. I have read pretty much almost every post in this entire thread and it boils down to a couple of things based on my observations. 1.) People seem to bash the design of the headphones ALOT. I don't blame them, they could've picked a better design but the current one has its advantages. 2.) Muddy bass, piercing highs, lots of treble. That goes away as stated numerous times even before the 100 hour burn in mark. With a great amp/dac, the bass becomes very controlled and tight and the hights are tamed. You could show me all the spectrographs you want of the headphones versus other comparable models but its what my ears hear and when it came to it versus the D7000, I am sorry but I did not notice much difference between them except as stated above.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,754 of 1,920
Quote:

Going back to your previous post of why anyone would prefer the D7100 over the D7000 and the LCD3. Simple actually and here is why.1.) I don't like open back headphones so I won't be picking up LCD2 or 3 for that matter.2.) When it comes to vs the D7000. Ive listened to them as well after I broke in my D7100s. I did not notice any difference between the headphones except for the the D7100 having more bass. I have read pretty much almost every post in this entire thread and it boils down to a couple of things based on my observations. 1.) People seem to bash the design of the headphones ALOT. I don't blame them, they could've picked a better design but the current one has its advantages.2.) Muddy bass, piercing highs, lots of treble. That goes away as stated numerous times even before the 100 hour burn in mark. With a great amp/dac, the bass becomes very controlled and tight and the hights are tamed. You could show me all the spectrographs you want of the headphones versus other comparable models but its what my ears hear and when it came to it versus the D7000, I am sorry but I did not notice much difference between them except as stated above.

So have you heard the LCD-3s?

Sorry, I wouldn't pay $300 for the D7100s. 
size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,755 of 1,920
Quote:
So have you heard the LCD-3s?

Sorry, I wouldn't pay $300 for the D7100s. 
size]

No I have not listened to the LCD3 because I do not like open back headphones, did you not read that? What you would pay and what someone else would pay is entirely different.  To each their own.  To be quite frank, I wouldn't pay more than 700 dollars for headphones period I don't care if they are made from gold.  Just lurking on this forum has made me VERY speculative towards what some people recommend and "hear".  This forum itself is being treated like a marketplace with very little amount of people actually knowing what they are talking about and a very large amount of people just going along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back