denon d7000 earpad on t5p ?
Jan 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kycha80

New Head-Fier
hi,

i love the d7000 comfort but i love the beyer sound. possible to put d7000 earpad on t5p? i saw some topic talking about j$ who is making quality earpad, but i am not able to access to their website now. anyone knows how do i order from them?

thanks !

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 27
headphone.com has the pads. My experience with the J$ pad is on the DT880 (bright signature), it reduced the sound stage enough to notice and give it more bass. They are quality pads but not exactly sonically transparent. The headphones will sound different, not any better or worst. If you're just buying them for comfort, the velour that comes with Beyers is actually better. Actually I haven't wore anything more comfortable than Beyers.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 27
thanks for the advice, i will do more research. i guess my ear is rather big, i rated hd800 comfort as 5 stars, d7000 as 4.5 stars, beyer (i also own dt990) as 4 stars. i found the dt990 is more comfortable than t5p.
not just for the comfort, i dont want the earpad to impact the sound quality. i am ok with different sound or less isolation. it seems the denon earpad can fit t5p right?

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
thanks for the advice, i will do more research. i guess my ear is rather big, i rated hd800 comfort as 5 stars, d7000 as 4.5 stars, beyer (i also own dt990) as 4 stars. i found the dt990 is more comfortable than t5p.
not just for the comfort, i dont want the earpad to impact the sound quality. i am ok with different sound or less isolation. it seems the denon earpad can fit t5p right?

D7000 fit T5p, I have no idea. Sound quality is about the same, different sound and probably more isolation on the J$ pads.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 27

The driver relative to the ear makes a huge difference on the T5p, so I imagine thinner earpads will too.

Well, the denon pads are thicker which would probably change bass and soundstage (as mentioned above).
One thing, the denon pads are angled while the T5p has flat pads and angled drivers. Making it even more angled might change the sound drastically (even the positioning on your ears changes the sound).
I think the main reason you find the denon more comfortable is because they're very loose and don't clamp as much. You could always stretch out the headband of the T5p so it clamps less but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless comfort is really an issue. If it's because the headphones rest a bit on your ears (which happens to me with my T5ps) just shorten the extension from the headband to the cups to center the ear better. Honestly, when I center the headphones perfectly, I can go 5 hours easily with no comfort issues but if I don't do it right, either it clamps too much and I have to readjust or the headphones are slightly resting on my ears, making the top of my ears very uncomfortable and I have to readjust that.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 27

(even the positioning on your ears changes the sound).

Yeah, the positioning changes the sound quite a bit, so does the Z-angle pivot of the headband, and the distance to the ear (if you squeeze the T5p inwards and flatten the leather pads a bit).

So, take any quick impressions with some salt.

I just suspect it might sound cool with thinner earpads.

I'm curious about that Tesla T70 however.

Do you find the T5p has any sibilance?  I don't.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 27

(even the positioning on your ears changes the sound).

Yeah, the positioning changes the sound quite a bit, so does the Z-angle pivot of the headband, and the distance to the ear (if you squeeze the T5p inwards and flatten the leather pads a bit).

So, take any quick impressions with some salt.

I just suspect it might sound cool with thinner earpads.

I'm curious about that Tesla T70 however.

Do you find the T5p has any sibilance?  I don't.

I was originally planning on buying the T70 but I came into some extra money and noticed I was very close to the T5p. So I borrowed a bit from a friend and had enough.
Honestly, I'm currently running it off an iphone which makes them have even more recessed bass and recessed treble (to my ears) so I don't find it really has that much sibilance. Does it have some? Yes. Is it ear-piercing? Maybe if you EQ the treble up enough which most people don't do. I only do it to help with the recessed treble of the iphone.

And yea, angling the drivers more outwards will probably make it sound similar to when you shift the headphones backwards on the Z-axis making the driver closer to the outer edge of your ear/lobe which produces a very thin and forward sound.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 27

I want to hear the T70 with a nice portable amp now, the curiosity of this game =/

I read that the t70p or t70 with proper amp + gel pads (apparently the gel pads help with the seal which is necessary and gives it more distance) has much stronger bass. As for the rest of the sound I don't really recall any comparisons.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 27

Oh ok, actually I'm fine with the bass on T5p and beautiful leather ear-pads.

Someone wrote the T70 has hardly any bass to speak of under 70-80Hz but he loves them with electronica, jazz, etc.

Idk, confusing, I resign.

Yea... apparently the seal on the t70 is incredibly important and the gel pads fixes that for a lot of people. Though I agree, the bass on the t5p is very nice, controlled and has good impact.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 27
i  guess the d2000pads will fit....

same with ad2000 softpads..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back