Denon D5000 for $399 delivered on Amazon
Jan 10, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #16 of 24
Amazon had the D5000 for ~$250 last month in a holiday lightning deal. These do come down in price every once in awhile. Didn't think it was that good a deal at the time, especially since I was on the lookout for a deal on HD800/T1 (which I haven't seen discounted yet). Apparently other folks didn't either cause I remember that deal expiring as opposed to being sold out at that price.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #18 of 24
It was definitely the D5000 and not the D2000. I remember because as soon as I saw it hit, I came here to look up the D5000. The lightning deal said it was for $450 off the list price ($150 off "yesterday's price") so if the list price is $700, that price is about right. And it was not a Black Friday deal. It was in December before Christmas either as a timed holiday deal (one of those 2 hour things) or a deal of the day. I didn't take a screenshot either so I have no proof but believe what you want. I know what I saw. Anyway, I already have the HD580 so another midrange headphone didn't appeal to me. The next (and hopefully last) headphones I'll own will be in the upper tier (T1 or HD800).

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 24
Definitely real. I actually got mine on Amazon for $389 on Dec 18. Then they went up $10 the next week. Still $399. Great cans for bass heads that still want silky treble.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
I just listened to these next to the 2000's at local audio store. The difference was great imo. Both coming out of the same multi-port SS amp playing the same song at same time, the 5000's sounded amazing to me. I asked the sales guy who seemed pretty honest and he said they both had months of burn in time. To my newbie ears, clearly worth the streatch over all the others I listened too. I listened back and forth for about one hour. It wasnt even close. I just bought the Amazon deal for the DT 990's and while they are fun, I really want the D5k's.

What the whole experience really taught me is that when you are about to buy some expensive headphones, you really should try to get a listen to them. I went into that store just for the heck of it with no expectations and came out with some very strong personal feelings that did not go with my impressions based on just reading about headphones. (They had some grados and the 650 on the same amp.)

Yeah the D5000s impressed me while the D2000s left me cold. I got the DT990s because they were the best under $500 but at $399 I may bend that plastic a little.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 24
Add the new Jmoney v3 pads and they get even better!

Having listened to all three, 2000/5000/7000 I would also agree that to my ears even if the only difference between the 2000's and 5000's is wooden cups and thicker cable then those two things make a considerable difference to my ears.I found the 2000's to be less involving/ musical than the stock 5000's

The difference between the 5000's and 7000's to my ears was a little more clarity in the mid range with the 7000's and a little more sparkle in the treble, also a little firmer bass.

Having said that I plumped for the 5000's as the cost difference was considerable at the time  between them and the 7000's (over $300) and I thought the difference though noticeable did not justify to me the price increase.

I want to say this before I make this statement. I very much enjoy the stock 5000's so musical and engrossing, I simply forget I am listening to equipment and just get absorbed into the music. However, I took the plunge and decided to go for the V3 Jmoney pads.

For me, with the V3 pads fitted the sound is much closer to the 7000's, a little more space around the music, mids a little more clear, bass, still visceral but a little tighter and controlled and the treble has a little more sparkle. I would say from what I have heard adding the V3 pads brings the 5000's  to within 85% of the 7000's. Now, having said that. If the 7000's come down a little more in price I would say go for them still as they are spectacular headphones, if they don't then add around $75 to the cost of your 5000's and get very close to the 7000 experience for a great deal less money (this is of course, just in my experience, others may have found differently)

For me these headphones are  stunningly capable and do most things very right! from Wagner to intimate acoustic, from led zep to Kraftwerk these phones shine.. I love mine!

PS, I got mine for $389 a few months ago from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back