Denon D2000 D7000 Wood Cup swap
Jun 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #31 of 98
Sweet! Sounds promising so far. That's one of my only complaints with the D2000s. The bass is not as tight as I'd like not boomy or sloppy by any means but not. If I do the cup swap I'll probably have the cups markl modded just to taste the mod myself. Does it do anything for the mids?

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #34 of 98

Quote:
Sweet! Sounds promising so far. That's one of my only complaints with the D2000s. The bass is not as tight as I'd like not boomy or sloppy by any means but not. If I do the cup swap I'll probably have the cups markl modded just to taste the mod myself. Does it do anything for the mids?

I would say if the bass isn't tight enough for you then need to do one of these or all of them for maximum benefit:

1. Get a quality SS amp.
2. Get Wooden cups.
3. MarkL Mod the wooden cups.

Keep in mind that you can MarkL mod the stock D2000 plastic cups and the bass will still get tighter but not to the level of the wooden cups (in my opinion from at least). 

Hey Ultra-Harmonics, here is the template for the MarkL mod: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/352109/markl-mod-made-easy-d2000-possibly-for-d5000-template

Also If anyone needs a square foot of dynamat extreme I can ship you my left over sheet for $10.  Either that or you can pay around $25-30 for a pack of 2 online (all you need is one sheet).

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #35 of 98
Quote:
I would say if the bass isn't tight enough for you then need to do one of these or all of them for maximum benefit:

1. Get a quality SS amp.
2. Get Wooden cups.
3. MarkL Mod the wooden cups.

Keep in mind that you can MarkL mod the stock D2000 plastic cups and the bass will still get tighter but not to the level of the wooden cups (in my opinion from at least). 

Thanks for the advice. Did you list them in terms of improvement? I'm thinking of selling a bunch of my equipment and using the proceeds to go towards a Dynalo or Asgard (depending on how it reviews) as most of my cans are low impedance. I may get some D7000s cups and MarkL mod them though. I might even do both.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #36 of 98
Yea, I tried to list them in order but I mean if you MarkL mod your plastic cups, get a better amp, or get wooden cups with MarkL mod then the bass will tighten up regardless.  The cheapest of them all would just to be to buy some dynamat and mod your current cups. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #37 of 98
OK, I have listened to my modded D2K's for several hours and what a noticeable improvement in all Sound Qualities.
biggrin.gif

1. Bass- sounds tight and punchy without muddling up the mids. Bass is Deep and controlled.

2. Mids sound forward and not muddled. (My stock D2K's over emphasized bass muddled up and blurred the mids)

3.Highs- To my surprise sounds more crisp and detailed?

4. Sound-stage- Is wider and now I can hear clear separation and depth.

I am very pleased with the results thus far. IMO my investment has been well worth it to refine these set of cans...

1. Stock D2K's: $200.00
  2. J$Pads: $60.00
  3. Used D7K woodies: $80.00
  4. 8 new micro screws: $1.79
  5. Dynamat: $10.00

1. Total: $351.79

The beautiful piano glossed mahogany D7K woodies is just icing on the cake.
Now for a decent cable and 1/4 plug... Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
beerchug.gif

Notes:

DAC: Marantz CD5001
Amp: Head Direct EF1
Tube: Tung-Sol Black Glass 12AU7/Siemens Silver plate 12AU7

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #39 of 98
The D5K cable is quite OK, doesn't tangle as the factory D2K and looks ...denonish. :)

And from now on you can describe the procedure to others, yours are the fourth D27Ks I know of, _if_ mine were the first.. your English is better than mine :)

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #40 of 98
Yes the D5K cable looks much nicer than the stock D2K cable but to find one will not be an easy task...

Maybe a Mogami 2524 or a Canare cable would be good without breaking the bank?

I already have a ViaBlue T6 1/4 plug,
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #41 of 98
I'm thinking of getting some cups. Is this process easy? Is there any drilling involved? I never took apart my D2000. Any tips?

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #42 of 98
dynafrom, I am going to post a thread with this mod, sorry I have been buried with work this week.

The mod did not involve any drilling, I simply cut off the four cup support posts and made them flush with the the driver bracket plate. If that makes any sense? This mod took me about 30 minutes and I have no prior modding experience.

With 8 new shorter cup screws, the D7K's fit perfectly and to my surprise the stock D2K cups fit as well..
biggrin.gif

A big plus IMO just in case you do not like the D7K's Signature.. Here is a quick look at my mod...

Tools needed:

1. Micro Screw driver set

2. Dremel with a thin cutting disk

3. 8 New cup screws same diameter abut 2mm shorter (any hardware store)

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 98
Polarwarrioir, My D7K woodies would not sit flush with the frame without cutting the posts? The four posts would hit the inner wood cup lip?

Maybe an older design or newer?

The beauty is that I can still use my stock D2k cups if I choose to install them again..
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back