Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 4, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,431 of 5,248
Quote:
Once again, you can diy markl mod on the d7k if you aren't satisfied by it, but if you took it the other way around it would be hard to sell the la2000

So what I'm asking is its more worth it to get the D7000 than mod my D2000 since there is still resale value in them and what not? I'm also asking sound signature wise how do they differ?

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #2,432 of 5,248
Quote:

So what I'm asking is its more worth it to get the D7000 than mod my D2000 since there is still resale value in them and what not? I'm also asking sound signature wise how do they differ?

I really want to find it out too. I've diy'ed some MarkL mods on my previous D2000 and now acquired a D5000. MarkL mod reduces and tightens the bass but does not tame the highs. Excessive dampening in my case resulted in a very sibilant sound because I have to turn the volume up for the mids. I took a step back with the dampening and it resulted in a mildly V-shaped sound. I guess the midbass adds weight to the mids in some sense. Might also be because of my sound preference, I own some very mid-centric headphones e.g. MSPro, HD580 and K400, K500...

D5000 is quite a lot bass heavier than my mod' D2000 so I am also experimenting with dampening.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,434 of 5,248
Quote:
The question is.  Are your mods and MarkL mods the exact same?  Does either yeild different results?

That's why I really want to find out how does a MarkL stock mod sound like. I understand and agree with the mass adding and the dampening, as well as gotten myself a pair of J$ pads back then. I guess you can control the amount of bass by such schemes, that's the main point of the MarkL mod.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,435 of 5,248
I just brought my D2000s back from the office and have them hooked up to my new Soloist. Only have the Soloist burn in for about 60+ hours but the pairing already sounds awesome. A new level of bass impact. And it's not even the bloaty mid-bass mess, it's a deep thump that gets your blood pumping (I'm listening to metal). Still pretty fast and well defined though. I've never heard the D2000s sound this good on any of my other amps (Yamamoto HA-02, ALO Continental V2, GoVibe Peak <yeah, it's quite crap but it's my office amp>). Seems like a really synergistic pairing!

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,436 of 5,248
I found that the MarkL mods really improved my D2000.  I decided to support him and bought a modkit from MarkL with damping, angle pads, and the wooden cups.  There are some slight differences in his current mod method and the original method that he posted on the forums here.  I can't compare my LA2000 to D5k or D7k, but I can say that I am 100% satisfied with my current setup and am not looking at upgrading or side-grading anything at all.

It is true that the mods do not tame the highs, but I found the mids were slightly improved and the bass was greatly improved (tightened mostly).  I would be glad to answer any other questions in regards to the MarkL mods, but please do take anything I say with a grain of salt as it is just my opinion that it greatly improved my D2000.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,437 of 5,248
To the person that liked the bass of his Denons but wanted better soundstage. Get some angle pads! Either Lawton or Jmoney

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,438 of 5,248
alright folks here is my first ever product review. I got the Magni in today.

First Impressions: Fit and finish is nice.  Fairly hefty for its size.  Only noticeable flaw is the volume pot is crooked as another member posted as well.  Can only tell when looking straight down. One thing that is personal preference is the white/grey LED light is super bright.  I use my computer to watch blurays and TV and I wish it wasn't so bright or that I could just disable it.    

I hooked it up to my e7 through a basic 3.5mm to RCA cable.  Setting computer volume at max and e7 at max, I did not notice hiss until around 1oclock on the pot.  Keep in mind I am using sensitive D2000's and the Magni is known for having some strong gain.  For volume reference, I am currently on spotify at max volume as well, and the Magni at probably 8 oclock.  I do hear some static or something inbetween songs but nothing major. It tends to disappear. It is now gone since starting this review.  I have been on the lookout for channel imbalance at low volumes like others have experienced and I have yet to notice it.  

Ok onto the music.  WOW!  Huge improvement over my e7.  People like to say the denons are so easy to drive and a portable dac/amp are "fine" for them, which is true, but you are missing so much going this route.  Proper power is needed.  With the Magni I am experiencing deep, tight bass and more importantly, much more mid-bass.  I think what I noticed most however is vocals.  They are very forward.  I don't know if this falls into mid-range or not, but its exciting.  Very clear and I am getting excellent instrument separation and soundstage compared to e7.  I think a lot of this also depends on the song/record.  Brown eyed girl is crazy good on this setup, whereas newer pop recordings don't benefit as much.  It also tends to bring out imperfections on recordings much more than e7.  I don't mind the analytical nature and I would say the treble is not fatiguing, at least so far.  I really hate bright sounding setups and I sold my hd595's because they were way too bright.  D2000 is a darker can and I love it.  I also took someones advice and tested using The Dark Knight soundtrack.  Sounds amazing. Killer bass sections.  

Conclusion: best $100 I spent on head-fi so far.  If I ever get higher end phones like lcd2 or even he-500 I think this would drive them well.  I think with time the fit and finish will improve.  I will also test this as an amp coming right out of my cable box to see what its like.  If you have the D2000's, get this amp. 

edit: I will be getting a L7 to bypass the e7 amp and will report soon.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,439 of 5,248
Yeah at this point I'm thinking about just getting some angle pads and new wooden cups from Lawton Audio and possibly recable to the D5000/7000 cable cuz I'm not sure if I want to lose the bass quantity the D2000 have right now.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,442 of 5,248
Quote:
Just got my D5000's and they are absolutely freggin' amazing, absolutely love their sound.

Reading all kinds of stuff on head-fi really helped me with my purchase, cheers people !

Congrats ! yeah they're fabulous and I'm still wondering why they discontinued.

btw, i'm thinking of selling my D5000 on head-fi, i haven't touch their box since i got the LCD-2, i mean they're just setting in the closet unused. anyone knows how to sell it here ?! what are the steps i should take ?

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,443 of 5,248
Quote:
Congrats ! yeah they're fabulous and I'm still wondering why they discontinued.

btw, i'm thinking of selling my D5000 on head-fi, i haven't touch their box since i got the LCD-2, i mean they're just setting in the closet unused. anyone knows how to sell it here ?! what are the steps i should take ?

Go to FORUMS > FOR SALE/ TRADE FORUMS> HEADPHONE FOR SALE  there are certain rules you should read about.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2,444 of 5,248
I have a modded D-2000, with light damping and Bubinga cups from Mark Lawton. Previously I also had a early version of J$'s angled pads. They were a definite improvement.
But I recently did some A./Bing again and realized I lost some soundstage with the J$ pads as the opening was smaller than the stock pads - so I switched them back, and then saw Mark was making new pads with a bigger opening and ordered a pair a few weeks ago. But those mods really made a difference in improving ther sound.

But for me, the biggest improvement with these is a bit of EQ to lower the bass below 250hz and reduce the mid-treble a bit between 2K and 4K. With that, you reduce the muddiness and/or harshness they sometimes have with some music. With the mods and a bit of EQ I think they are great cans, even when comparing them with my new Hifimans.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back