Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #1,576 of 5,248
Bought D5000s as my Christmas gift to myself. These are my first pair of headphones and wow, did I step into a new world. These are great headphones even when plugged into an iPhone. Can't wait to build a full rig.

I have not heard a lot of phones yet but if they get better than the D5000, this is going to be a very expensive hobby...

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,577 of 5,248

Quote:
Bought D5000s as my Christmas gift to myself. These are my first pair of headphones and wow, did I step into a new world. These are great headphones even when plugged into an iPhone. Can't wait to build a full rig.

I have not heard a lot of phones yet but if they get better than the D5000, this is going to be a very expensive hobby...

An iPhone doesn't do those headphones justice. Once you get a dac/amp, you'll *really* see how amazing they are.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #1,578 of 5,248

Quote:
An iPhone doesn't do those headphones justice. Once you get a dac/amp, you'll *really* see how amazing they are.

And then if you are brave enough to mode them lol, it takes them to yet another dimension of performance :wink:. These things brought tears to my eyes with some of the 24/96 recording ;`)

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #1,579 of 5,248

Quote:
And then if you are brave enough to mode them lol, it takes them to yet another dimension of performance :wink:. These things brought tears to my eyes with some of the 24/96 recording ;`)

Haha, modding takes some major balls, especially with higher end headphones like the 5000's/7000's. The most modding I've ever been brave enough to do is the Kees mod for my Pro 750's.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,580 of 5,248

Quote:
Haha, modding takes some major balls, especially with higher end headphones like the 5000's/7000's. The most modding I've ever been brave enough to do is the Kees mod for my Pro 750's.

Its actually not hard at all and non-damaging if you just wanted to test out the mod to see if you like it. Simply unclip the ear pads. Place them on the side. Unscrew the screws holding the wood cups in place. Place the screws and the wood cups (or plastic cups) on the side. Place the ear pads back onto the driver. This time just letting them sit on the driver and not locking them back into place. That is it and you can easily put everything back without anything being permanent. I just liked the mod so much I made it permanent. I used Velcro to fasten the pads to the drivers as that allows the bass to tighten up significantly and adds speed.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,581 of 5,248
Do you think there are any reversible ways to leave the cups open? like using more velcro or something

Quote:
Its actually not hard at all and non-damaging if you just wanted to test out the mod to see if you like it. Simply unclip the ear pads. Place them on the side. Unscrew the screws holding the wood cups in place. Place the screws and the wood cups (or plastic cups) on the side. Place the ear pads back onto the driver. This time just letting them sit on the driver and not locking them back into place. That is it and you can easily put everything back without anything being permanent. I just liked the mod so much I made it permanent. I used Velcro to fasten the pads to the drivers as that allows the bass to tighten up significantly and adds speed.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,582 of 5,248

Quote:

That's only temporary, though. I meant I wouldn't have the balls to take a dremel to a $1000 pair of headphones. I do plan on trying the temp one of these days, though. Loosening screws is something I *can* do. :p

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,583 of 5,248

Quote:
Do you think there are any reversible ways to leave the cups open? like using more velcro or something

You can just leave them off lol. I was doing that for quite some time but I wanted my cans to look better. They look pretty ghetto missing the cups :). Anyways if I wanted to go back I could always buy a spare set of Denon 7000 cups from Lawton audio for $50.00

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #1,584 of 5,248

Quote:
That's only temporary, though. I meant I wouldn't have the balls to take a dremel to a $1000 pair of headphones. I do plan on trying the temp one of these days, though. Loosening screws is something I *can* do. :p

You can buy spare denon 7000 cups for $50.00 from Lawton audio if you are concerned with that lol. I figure I want to keep these cans permanent this way because they are clearly superior this way. Otherwise I would have sold them, just too much bass and lacked the control they have no. There is a lot more detail as well after this mod. Treble is a bit aggressive but it makes for a very airy presentation like the EX1000.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #1,586 of 5,248

Quote:
If i were to do this mod, i would do as reccomended above, buy a seperate set of cups. Then dremel/holesaw them out, and put a screen on. If. Ill have to hear how my new d5ks sound. 

Except I didn't buy an extra set of cups as I see no need to do so. I don't plan on selling them and I would never go back to stock, it just ruins it when you get spoiled that way :wink:.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,587 of 5,248
If I buy some D5000 cups to my D2000, will it make them the "D5000" so to say? I mean, is it just the cups that makes the sonic difference between the D2000 and the D5000? Is it hard to change the cups?

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,588 of 5,248

Quote:
If I buy some D5000 cups to my D2000, will it make them the "D5000" so to say? I mean, is it just the cups that makes the sonic difference between the D2000 and the D5000? Is it hard to change the cups?

No the Denon 5000s are a bit different. They have an upgraded cable as well which accounts for the sound signature differences. The Denon 5000 has more sub bass, less mid bass, its mids aren't recessed like the Denon 2000s and 7000s (the treble is the cause here for the recessed mids).

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,589 of 5,248

Quote:
No the Denon 5000s are a bit different. They have an upgraded cable as well which accounts for the sound signature differences. The Denon 5000 has more sub bass, less mid bass, its mids aren't recessed like the Denon 2000s and 7000s (the treble is the cause here for the recessed mids).

So I would have to change the cups and recable them as well? Hmm, makes me wonder if it would be worth it .. cables are pretty expensive as well. Though the wooden cups are very good looking! 
wink.gif

Oh well, thank you my friend, for the answer.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,590 of 5,248
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones for my PC and decided to splurge on D2000. Do you think you could suggest an amp to go with this purchase? I've never owned one (had no idea headphones need it up until yesterday...) but read good reviews of the following:
- Astro Mixamp 5.8
- FiiO (variety of models...)
- ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 (it's actually a sound card with built-in headphone amp)

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back