Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Sep 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,396 of 5,248
Lately Ive been finding myself resting my Jmoneys on my ears instead of around them so that there is no seal. I find that they sound much more open and the loss of impact is minimal. Are these effects similar to the effects of the open back mod?

Yes, the open-backed mod makes them sound much more open. The guy who originally did the open-backed mod (which I got mine from) said the drivers were "simply stifled". I'd have to agree with that statement. With the open-backed cups and raised earpads, you get an amazing sound stage with wonderful imaging. The bass tightens up but still extends just as low and punches just as hard. It's more textured and less one-note sounding than before. The midrage perks up, and they're very detailed.

Honestly, the open-backed D2000s are still making my jaw drop and regularly send shivers down my spine as I listen to them.

I was planing on getting Beyers 990, but after listening to them, I changed my mind. For 100$ i would probably buy it, but for the price they want... never.
So i noticed D2000/D5000... and I could afford one with buying them second-hand.

If i'm right, the mids are still recessed but not as badly as 990's? And this problem gets away with marki/hans mod?
How loud do they go without distorting? Beyers didn't do too well in this department either...

Yes, with the open-backed mod, the mids are much more pronounced. You'd be hard pressed to call them recessed. Granted, there are some further tweaks you can do that can change how pronounced they are. One of the particular tweaks I did to my open-backed D2000 helped reduce the fatiguing and sibilant upper mids and treble, but the mids are less pronounced than just doing the basic open-backed mod. They're still more pronounced than stock.

Basically, my point is that modding and tweaking the Denons can basically bring about whatever you might what out of them if you're persistent and try a variety of tweaks.

To the both of you, and everyone, really, I did want to point out that I completely revised and updated my open-backed Denon mod thread yesterday. It is much more detailed and descriptive. I have also consolidated any updates I've made over time with the mod and rolled that into the first post along with a couple of new pictures. I suggest you check it out! They sound too good not to! Link is in my signature.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #1,397 of 5,248

Quote:
Yes, the open-backed mod makes them sound much more open. The guy who originally did the open-backed mod (which I got mine from) said the drivers were "simply stifled". I'd have to agree with that statement. With the open-backed cups and raised earpads, you get an amazing sound stage with wonderful imaging. The bass tightens up but still extends just as low and punches just as hard. It's more textured and less one-note sounding than before. The midrage perks up, and they're very detailed.
Honestly, the open-backed D2000s are still making my jaw drop and regularly send shivers down my spine as I listen to them.
Yes, with the open-backed mod, the mids are much more pronounced. You'd be hard pressed to call them recessed. Granted, there are some further tweaks you can do that can change how pronounced they are. One of the particular tweaks I did to my open-backed D2000 helped reduce the fatiguing and sibilant upper mids and treble, but the mids are less pronounced than just doing the basic open-backed mod. They're still more pronounced than stock.
Basically, my point is that modding and tweaking the Denons can basically bring about whatever you might what out of them if you're persistent and try a variety of tweaks.
To the both of you, and everyone, really, I did want to point out that I completely revised and updated my open-backed Denon mod thread yesterday. It is much more detailed and descriptive. I have also consolidated any updates I've made over time with the mod and rolled that into the first post along with a couple of new pictures. I suggest you check it out! They sound too good not to! Link is in my signature.

Yea man I consider myself a basshead and Id have expected the punch to suffer from being raised off my head but they still hit pretty hard.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,400 of 5,248
I have no intention of modding it.  The mids are indeed very lush, much thicker than those of the D2000.  Bass is just as strong, if not a little boomier, which I love.  Very comfortable, and soundstage is great.  

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,401 of 5,248

Quote:
I have no intention of modding it.  The mids are indeed very lush, much thicker than those of the D2000.  Bass is just as strong, if not a little boomier, which I love.  Very comfortable, and soundstage is great.   

you don't have to make the mod permanent man. You can just take the cups off and see if you like it that way. Also recommend loosening the ear pads which easily clip back into place when you want them to. I haven't made the mod permanent cause I'm not sure if I really wanna keep them. But they do sound much better with the mod IMO. The sound stage is quiet bigger when they can breath. It actually picks the music apart since its so big, very nice indeed.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #1,402 of 5,248

Quote:
you don't have to make the mod permanent man. You can just take the cups off and see if you like it that way. Also recommend loosening the ear pads which easily clip back into place when you want them to. I haven't made the mod permanent cause I'm not sure if I really wanna keep them. But they do sound much better with the mod IMO. The sound stage is quiet bigger when they can breath. It actually picks the music apart since its so big, very nice indeed.

I second the earpad mod. The soundstage is awesome when they get air.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,403 of 5,248
All mods have positives and negatives, and if the bass tightens/lessens by any amount from these mods, I wouldn't like them.  The soundstage is very satisfying for me, so thats not really a concern.  Coming from the Pro 900, I need all of the bass I can get, I'm like a basshead in rehab

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,404 of 5,248

Quote:
All mods have positives and negatives, and if the bass tightens/lessens by any amount from these mods, I wouldn't like them.  The soundstage is very satisfying for me, so thats not really a concern.  Coming from the Pro 900, I need all of the bass I can get, I'm like a basshead in rehab

It tightens but it still has the same impact, I wouldn't say lessens the bass it just focuses's it more and its not so bloated. The only way I got to appreciate it this way was testing it out first and realizing I liked it better that way. Same thing happened when I had the EX1000s. Although I no longer own them, the bass on them is crazy good, unbelievably deep and controlled.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #1,405 of 5,248
Yep the bass is not really lost. I dont mean that in an audiophile way either, I mean it in a basshead way. I didnt realize until I tested it for a while how congested my house music sounded. Without the mod its like my head is in a 1ft wide bubble but with mod the sound is coming from all corners of the room.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,406 of 5,248

Just thought that I'd give a heads up on the wonderful combo that is the CEntrance DACmini and the D2000s.  Seriously, bass impact is nicer now and the detail is out of this world.  I'm not saying the other combo I had was dark (Keces 151/LDI+) but hearing what these headphones are truly capable of with better equipment is astounding to say the least.

I'd like to think that anyone who didn't like the D2000s were trying to power it off a cheap amp or worse ... their iPod.  It's one thing to say, "yeah, your iPod should be able to power them" vs ""you're iPod should be able to power them but not EFFICIENTLY nor close to their potential."

Quote:
Has anyone else tried the Nuforce Icon Mobile AMP/DAC with the D2000? 

Yes, I now use it exclusively for gaming in my living room, but there was a time when I was between amps where it filled a need.

It's a good get you by kind of amp.  Much better than some pricier stuff (under $200) I've owned.  I'd say it performs well for it's price bracket, but it far from my preferred amp of choice for the D2000.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,407 of 5,248

Quote:

Just thought that I'd give a heads up on the wonderful combo that is the CEntrance DACmini and the D2000s.  Seriously, bass impact is nicer now and the detail is out of this world.  I'm not saying the other combo I had was dark (Keces 151/LDI+) but hearing what these headphones are truly capable of with better equipment is astounding to say the least.

I'd like to think that anyone who didn't like the D2000s were trying to power it off a cheap amp or worse ... their iPod.  It's one thing to say, "yeah, your iPod should be able to power them" vs ""you're iPod should be able to power them but not EFFICIENTLY nor close to their potential."

Yes, I now use it exclusively for gaming in my living room, but there was a time when I was between amps where it filled a need.

It's a good get you by kind of amp.  Much better than some pricier stuff (under $200) I've owned.  I'd say it performs well for it's price bracket, but it far from my preferred amp of choice for the D2000. 

I have to agree CEntrance really does have some good products and that emphasis on the mids really compliments the Denons real well. I use a DACport LX with my Denon 5000s and its very nice sounding. Seems all my IEMs/headphones go well with this combo do to their natures.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #1,408 of 5,248
I've loved my D2Ks for a few years now. They were (are) my first 'audiophile' headphone—but now I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5000 or even a 7000 (if I get the grant I applied for :wink: ), along with a DACport. Good idea?

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #1,409 of 5,248

Quote:
I've loved my D2Ks for a few years now. They were (are) my first 'audiophile' headphone—but now I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5000 or even a 7000 (if I get the grant I applied for :wink: ), along with a DACport. Good idea?

You might as well go for the 7000 if so. I found a seller on ebay who has them for a bit over $600.00. My 5000s may be up for sale if you're interested by then lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back