Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Sep 23, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,381 of 5,248
How are the earpads on the D5000 different from the D2000?

Quote:
The Wood cups, a better cable and earpads are the only difference to my knowledge. I got my Denon 5000s on sale at amazon for $399.00. Would never pay $700.00 for them.
The Wood cups also change the sound signature as well so they don't sound the same but do share similarities.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,383 of 5,248
Oh I thought the whole Denon DX000 headphones had leather earpads (or really really nice pleather)

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,385 of 5,248

Quote:
I think they are pleather. If you want anything that's leather you would want J/Money earpads. But I heard they don't work well with the D5000's.

From what I heard the Denon 7000s have a slightly recessed mid-range when compared to the 5000s. So by performing that open mod and losening the cups it fixes the excessive bass while retaining a very nice mid-range and treble. I'm gonna buy some denon 7000 cups later from lawton and perform the open can mod somehow with my denon 5000 wood cups. I really do like how it sounds open. The mid-range really opens up with them open. The tonality is better.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,386 of 5,248
Ive found that these go well with an EQ. i mainly use these for hip hop/electronic, as I have the HD 650 for everything else (a great combo covering all types of music). Putting up the sub bass just makes ur head bleed if you want to, and bringing down the 10k treble reveals the mids a bit more and takes away the sibilance.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,387 of 5,248
Has anyone else tried the Nuforce Icon Mobile AMP/DAC with the D2000? It seems for a portable cheap amp, this is an extremely good match for them. At first I just could not figure out why this was until I read some reviews.I always thought it was neutral, but it sure didn't sound like it.

Turns out the Nuforce Icon Mobile has some forward mids and slightly rolled off highs. PERFECT for the D2000 if you find the mids or fatiguing treble a problem.

Out of that amp I had a very, very hard time thinking the mids were recessed at all. When I connect my DJ100 and M50 up to it also, I get similar results.

Any other good portable amps with forward mids to try with the D2000 (or M50?)? Not sure if this is all that common or what. E11 definitely doesn't have them and is fairly neutral I believe.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,388 of 5,248
How are they with gaming? EX: Footsteps

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,389 of 5,248
So it is my personal opinion that most hi-end headphones are great for footsteps in gaming.  Of course you can squeeze a little extra out of something like an AD700 with an astro mixamp, but I think the D2000 do just fine.  They're better for immersion (i.e. great bass for explosions and gun shots), but I find that position is still alright for a bass-heavy closed can.  Definitely not AD700 status, but still adequate.  It shouldn't affect you negatively unless you're a professional gamer who makes his living off of gaming, and then of course, I'd look elsewhere.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #1,390 of 5,248
They are pretty good at that. I still prefer my IE8s for gaming but the D5000s do a great job as well. Really good in first person shooters. People think I cheat a lot because I know where they are most of the time. I say then stop reloading your weapons, stop running and stop jumping (strafe jumping) lol (doom3).

Quote:
So it is my personal opinion that most hi-end headphones are great for footsteps in gaming.  Of course you can squeeze a little extra out of something like an AD700 with an astro mixamp, but I think the D2000 do just fine.  They're better for immersion (i.e. great bass for explosions and gun shots), but I find that position is still alright for a bass-heavy closed can.  Definitely not AD700 status, but still adequate.  It shouldn't affect you negatively unless you're a professional gamer who makes his living off of gaming, and then of course, I'd look elsewhere.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #1,392 of 5,248
Lately Ive been finding myself resting my Jmoneys on my ears instead of around them so that there is no seal. I find that they sound much more open and the loss of impact is minimal. Are these effects similar to the effects of the open back mod?

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,393 of 5,248
Lately Ive been finding myself resting my Jmoneys on my ears instead of around them so that there is no seal. I find that they sound much more open and the loss of impact is minimal. Are these effects similar to the effects of the open back mod?

With the cans open they are also more open. The tone changes as well and there is more air with them open. What loosening the stock cups does is it lowers the bass quantity and in doing so improves the mids and treble.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,394 of 5,248
I was planing on getting Beyers 990, but after listening to them, I changed my mind. For 100$ i would probably buy it, but for the price they want... never.
So i noticed D2000/D5000... and I could afford one with buying them second-hand.

If i'm right, the mids are still recessed but not as badly as 990's? And this problem gets away with marki/hans mod?
How loud do they go without distorting? Beyers didn't do too well in this department either...

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,395 of 5,248
I was planing on getting Beyers 990, but after listening to them, I changed my mind. For 100$ i would probably buy it, but for the price they want... never.
So i noticed D2000/D5000... and I could afford one with buying them second-hand.

If i'm right, the mids are still recessed but not as badly as 990's? And this problem gets away with marki/hans mod?
How loud do they go without distorting? Beyers didn't do too well in this department either...

You can turn the denon up loud enough to blow your ear drums before they will distort :wink:. The Denon 7000s suffer with recessed mids. Not so much with the D5000. I'm sure the same is for the D2000 although I don't own those. The markle mod will help though and so would the open back mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back