Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jul 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,261 of 5,248
How does the headband compare to the M50?  It doesn't seem like it has much padding, but I think the M50 was mainly not comfortable because it had hard material directly under the little padding that it had.  What I meant about the M50 pads not being big was that the actual opening is small, and the pads are meant to go under your ear to form an even better seal, which is something I rather not have.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,262 of 5,248

Quote:
How does the headband compare to the M50?  It doesn't seem like it has much padding, but I think the M50 was mainly not comfortable because it had hard material directly under the little padding that it had.

Never thought about it before....but doing a comparison right now. Ok, the D2000 headband definitely doesn't have a lot of padding, but if you squeeze both it and the M50 headband, the D2000 feels a little softer due to slightly softer material underneath it. On my head at least, I feel very little pressure from the D2000 headband and cups. It's a much looser fit overall, far closer to something like the AD700 than the M50. Hope that helps.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #1,263 of 5,248
the D2000 have really changed over the first 48hrs of burn-in.  i can now see where people could find these bright or sibilant in certain set ups.  they're not in my own, even with a BM DAC1 as source.

i really like the tight and grippy groove of the D2000.  the bass is not sloppy, definitely present and full bodied, but very well controlled and tuneful with excellent attack.  no one-note bass here, but yes, there is sometimes a slight decay resonance, but nothing terribly offensive.

i don't understand the recessed mid-range comments - no way, and this is coming from an AKG fanboy.

i think it's a really detailed HP as well.  i don't feel like i'm missing anything either.

if the D5000 or D7000 are any more laid-back, i'm not interested.  i will probably recable down the road just to get rid of the PITA stock.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,264 of 5,248
Just got the DT770 replacement headband from beyer today which I bought because I though more padding would be more comfortable. I like the D2000 stock headband way more at this point and I feel like the beyer is pushing into my scalp. Maybe it needs to be broken in though...

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,265 of 5,248
since you already have the thicker J$ pads, i don't think you'll get any more clamping force at the ears to help take pressure off the scalp.  hope for break in i guess.  btw, i don't see any pinches in the seams of the J$ pads.  looks like you have a nice set.  i also just noticed that the adjustment on your Denons are much shorter than mine.  i have my D2000 set on the 7th click, resting on the flat, forward position of my scalp.  and  no, i'm not wearing my King Tubby crown
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,266 of 5,248

Quote:
Never thought about it before....but doing a comparison right now. Ok, the D2000 headband definitely doesn't have a lot of padding, but if you squeeze both it and the M50 headband, the D2000 feels a little softer due to slightly softer material underneath it. On my head at least, I feel very little pressure from the D2000 headband and cups. It's a much looser fit overall, far closer to something like the AD700 than the M50. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. So I gather the comfort experience is much better than the M50.  Another thing I've always worried about for pleather (and a major reason why I prefer velour) is that the pleather might crack after a while.  I know this is notorious for the M50, but has it been anyone's experience with Denons?  And no, I do not think I will invest in JMoney pads.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,267 of 5,248
Hi guys, Where can I change my ahd2000 cups to the adh7000 cups? is it worth it to change it? thanks

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,268 of 5,248

Quote:
since you already have the thicker J$ pads, i don't think you'll get any more clamping force at the ears to help take pressure off the scalp.  hope for break in i guess.  btw, i don't see any pinches in the seams of the J$ pads.  looks like you have a nice set.  i also just noticed that the adjustment on your Denons are much shorter than mine.  i have my D2000 set on the 7th click, resting on the flat, forward position of my scalp.  and  no, i'm not wearing my King Tubby crown
biggrin.gif

Yea youre right I think the J$ maxed out the possible gain in clamping force. They do feel better now either because the foam is getting softer or my head went numb. 7th click hmm? Either your head is a watermelon or my head is a peanut. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Hi guys, Where can I change my ahd2000 cups to the adh7000 cups? is it worth it to change it? thanks

Mine have dynamat in them. 
Bass: Much tighter. I said before in this thread its like a sealed subwoofer vs a ported subwoofer if youre familiar with car audio.
Mids: More noticeable.
Treble: Crisper, more detailed. 
I think its worth the change. Theyre not hard to install but do require some work.

Check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496457/denon-d2000-d7000-wood-cup-swap/30
Btw in the thread he uses a dremel and a new micro screw set. I used the same screws, a pocket knife, and a filer.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #1,269 of 5,248
Once again, my D2000s are out of commission for the season.  We don't really have Central air in NYC and unless I blast my AC (which interferes with the music), I can't seem to enjoy my Denon's.  I'm sure I'll get back to them soon enough.

In the meantime my Senn HD25-II are acting as replacements.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #1,271 of 5,248
Hey TMRaven, I owned the ATHM50 and I couldn't stand wearing it after 10 minutes. It sounded decent but the comfort was very bad for me since it clamped onto the head too much for me and the pad didn't like my glasses pushing into it. Eventually gave the ATHM50 to little brother and he loves it but I went to his room and the pads of his M50 are all cracked up lol. He brought it along with him everywhere though 

As for the D2000, I owned this pair for about a month or two and really love it. I just got done wearing this baby for 10 hours straight and my neck isn't cramped up like headphones usually give me. I have it hooked up to a 10-15 year old JVC audio receiver since I currently can't afford any amp. I usually noticed that I sweat whenever I forget to have a fan on me because the receiver literally raises the temperature by 10-15 degrees lol. The pads are holding up well and just like it was new so far 

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,274 of 5,248
Sooo I recently ordered some denon 2ks and intend to do a partial mrkl when they arrive. My question is, what is the protocol for dynamating the D2k cups? Anyone have pics of them with dynamat in place? I've heard that you're supposed to dynamat around the circle plastic thingy in the middle, and not over it.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #1,275 of 5,248
Just wanted to post here =P Been loving my 5000's to death. They are the most comfortable headphone i have ever worn. 10 hours a day no problem!

Weird question. (The expanding mechanism of the headband) Does yours ever sag down to the first notch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back