Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,126 of 5,248

Quote:
Quote:
Like we mentioned earlier pairing the Denons with cheap OTL tube amps is going to make them sound bloated and the bass flabby. I suggest you get a Nuforce Udac2 instead until you can get a better solid state amp.

I have this setup, and I don't find it bloated. I don't know where the standard is, but it's rather pretty tight bass to me. I think 800mW at 32ohm with strong current has something to do with it. LDI+ is a hybrid amp with tube preamp and opamp.

Have you compared your setup to a comparable solid state rig? My Denons have sounded good on only the best tube amps and even then my SS amp handily beats them. Tube amps are suited for open/semi or orthos headphones.

May 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,127 of 5,248

Quote:
Have you compared your setup to a comparable solid state rig? My Denons have sounded good on only the best tube amps and even then my SS amp handily beats them. Tube amps are suited for open/semi or orthos headphones.

Can you specify a few ss amp that works so well with D7000 for me?

May 5, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #1,130 of 5,248

Quote:
You're exactly right -- I'm not looking to tighten it up necessarily, I just want more bass!  We seem to be in the same boat, I've not considered the J$ pads for the same reason.  Another thing, just got myself a set of D7000 cups but haven't had a chance to install them.  I noticed your D2Ks are similarly modded and since we seem to feel the same way about the bass response, what's your take on the wood cups?  Any significant impact on bass quantity/quality?

I noticed an increase in bass as well as an increase in the texture of the bass, but I feel probably it was a mix of using wood cups (which theoretically would be more sturdy and thus allow more sound to reflect back instead of vibrating through the cup material) and perhaps even moreso, removing the cotton/dynamat that was present in the plastic cups, which dampens some of the sound.

Napalmk and I both posted how we changed out our cups, if you are curious. I have some thoughts written at the end of my post. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502070/how-to-create-a-d2000-woody-on-a-budget-56k-warning

Oh and there is also a post floating around for how to eq your vst plugin (if you use foobar) to get the best sound from your D2000s. Sometimes I'll up the bass there and then the bass is monstrous.

May 5, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,131 of 5,248
The Meier Corda Stepdance has great synergy with the D5000, set on low gain it is superb, he has currently sold out though, these fly off the shelves.
More are being manufactured presently, difficult to pick one up second hand as no one wants to sell them once owned, its a balanced amp that fits the Denon like a glove. 

May 5, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #1,132 of 5,248
The Stepdance has great synergy with the Denons and so does all of his other products. I used to own a Concerto and it was fantastic. 
The Denons are easy to drive, but they scale very well when amped properly. For $400 or less you could get a KICAS Non Caliente, CanAmp or Schiit Asgard. If you could stretch your budget a little you could find a M^3 which would blow the doors off practically everything under $1000.

May 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #1,133 of 5,248

Quote:
Quote:
Like we mentioned earlier pairing the Denons with cheap OTL tube amps is going to make them sound bloated and the bass flabby. I suggest you get a Nuforce Udac2 instead until you can get a better solid state amp.

I have this setup, and I don't find it bloated. I don't know where the standard is, but it's rather pretty tight bass to me. I think 800mW at 32ohm with strong current has something to do with it. LDI+ is a hybrid amp with tube preamp and opamp.

IMO the bass I got out of my D2000 from LD I+ was far more punchy compared to M-stage (That was one of the reasons I went back to I+ and sold my M-stage). Some might call it 'bloated' but I like to call it 'punchy' and apparently I love it 
L3000.gif

May 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,134 of 5,248
Did anyone buy a D5000 recently? They seem to be out of stock everywhere (Is Denon updating their line ???).  I'm planning to call up J&R and order one. What do you guys think would be a good price for a bargain on J&R? Would $400 be too low?

May 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,136 of 5,248

Quote:
Did anyone buy a D5000 recently? They seem to be out of stock everywhere (Is Denon updating their line ???).  I'm planning to call up J&R and order one. What do you guys think would be a good price for a bargain on J&R? Would $400 be too low?

I'm wondering the same thing. Amazon has been out of stock for a long time. Around Christmas, Amazon had them for $389 so mention that to J&R and see if they would do around $400. Let us know what they say!

May 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,140 of 5,248
Actually, I finally got around to installing my wood cups and I used that exact thread as my tutorial -- I even went the exact route you did by cutting off the posts.  That made the install a snap, literally a few minutes worth of work.  The end result is very nice though and I agree with your assessment completely.  There is not only more bass, but it is definitely more textured and natural sounding.  Those D7k cups were worth every penny!  Anyway, thanks for replying and for posting those great pics in the other thread, I'm not sure I would have had the courage to do this without having seen the process in that thread. 
atsmile.gif

Quote:

I noticed an increase in bass as well as an increase in the texture of the bass, but I feel probably it was a mix of using wood cups (which theoretically would be more sturdy and thus allow more sound to reflect back instead of vibrating through the cup material) and perhaps even moreso, removing the cotton/dynamat that was present in the plastic cups, which dampens some of the sound.

Napalmk and I both posted how we changed out our cups, if you are curious. I have some thoughts written at the end of my post. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502070/how-to-create-a-d2000-woody-on-a-budget-56k-warning

Oh and there is also a post floating around for how to eq your vst plugin (if you use foobar) to get the best sound from your D2000s. Sometimes I'll up the bass there and then the bass is monstrous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back