Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #1,112 of 5,248

Quote:
You're exactly right -- I'm not looking to tighten it up necessarily, I just want more bass!  We seem to be in the same boat, I've not considered the J$ pads for the same reason.  Another thing, just got myself a set of D7000 cups but haven't had a chance to install them.  I noticed your D2Ks are similarly modded and since we seem to feel the same way about the bass response, what's your take on the wood cups?  Any significant impact on bass quantity/quality?

I'm sure the J$ pads make the bass more accurate but doesn't that also give your ears the impression that there is less bass quantity?  I'm still a bit torn on the pads simply cause I don't want to reduce the bass but I must admit the idea of a greater soundstage is definitely tempting since I use my D2Ks primarily for gaming.

Asking for even more bass than any Denon headphone is just ... well wrong 
biggrin.gif
. They are already pushing the boundary as to how much bass you're hearing without being overly colored. To be honest, the J$ pads do not make a huge difference on the bass quality or quantity; the Markl mods and cups DO. However, they do make a significant impact on the soundstage. Tightening the bass doesn't mean you're reducing the bass, you're just better controlling it without sounding flabby. Think of those car subwoofers and how bloated and flabby they sound.

May 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #1,113 of 5,248

Have not tried with tubes but would like to, ive been keeping my eye out for a little dot mark III used...
Quote:
hey darren I just noticed your d2k is almost like mine markl modded j$ and D7k cups, mine is with upgraded cable. My stock d2k I gave to my nephew. Have you tried your d2k with tubes? I am using my modded d2k with my mad ear and it sounds great. 

May 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,115 of 5,248
Hello crazy headphone people,

Just bought my first pair of decent headphones!  I got the d2000.  No mods, no amp even, but they sound 500% better than my old Sony mdr-v600s.  I know, no amp, blasphemy around here, but I really can't afford anything right now.  My Macbook headphone jack sounds pretty darn good to me, and my Sansa Clip+ is almost as good.  I don't hear any noise in the line or any OBVIOUS deficiencies (to my amateur ears, anyway), and while I'm sure an amp would make these phones even more awesome, I'll have to leave that to a future upgrade to look forward to.  Maybe something cheap like a fiio e7 for my birthday in a few months.

Damn, the Chemical Brothers sound really good on these things.  I generally don't even care for dancey electronic music (usually I like more experimental stuff), but these things and their awesome bass really bring it to life.

I haven't even gotten around to working on my own crappy electronic stuff yet, which was half the reason I bought them.  I've been enjoying listening to good music too much!  But I'm sure they will be great for that.  I know they're not the flattest phones around, but I really like being able to hear what's going on in the low bass and I think I'll be able to adjust for the color.  I'll have to make a Denon dx000 track for y'all.

And according to many of you (but not all), these things will sound even better with a few hundred hours on them!  If that happens, well, awesome.

Thanks to this forum for its wealth of information!  A happy newbie head-fier here.

May 3, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #1,116 of 5,248

Quote:

Just bought my first pair of decent headphones!  I got the d2000.  No mods, no amp even, but they sound 500% better than my old Sony mdr-v600s.  I know, no amp, blasphemy around here, but I really can't afford anything right now.  My Macbook headphone jack sounds pretty darn good to me, and my Sansa Clip+ is almost as good.  I don't hear any noise in the line or any OBVIOUS deficiencies (to my amateur ears, anyway), and while I'm sure an amp would make these phones even more awesome, I'll have to leave that to a future upgrade to look forward to.  Maybe something cheap like a fiio e7 for my birthday in a few months.

Damn, the Chemical Brothers sound really good on these things.  I generally don't even care for dancey electronic music (usually I like more experimental stuff), but these things and their awesome bass really bring it to life.

I haven't even gotten around to working on my own crappy electronic stuff yet, which was half the reason I bought them.  I've been enjoying listening to good music too much!  But I'm sure they will be great for that.  I know they're not the flattest phones around, but I really like being able to hear what's going on in the low bass and I think I'll be able to adjust for the color.  I'll have to make a Denon dx000 track for y'all.

And according to many of you (but not all), these things will sound even better with a few hundred hours on them!  If that happens, well, awesome.

Thanks to this forum for its wealth of information!  A happy newbie head-fier here.

Welcome to head-fi :) Glad that you like your D2000s. You should probably look at the LD I+ for your first little upgrade.

May 4, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,117 of 5,248

Quote:
Welcome to head-fi :) Glad that you like your D2000s. You should probably look at the LD I+ for your first little upgrade.

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation!  I'd probably be looking for a portable amp, though, as I tend to move around with my macbook.  Like, kitchen table, sofa, outside chair, bed, etc.

May 4, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #1,118 of 5,248
wait till you hear it amped.  when I first got the D2kI first tried it with my ipod, and I wasn't blown away. But when I hooked it up to an amp,  it sounded much better. 

Quote:

May 4, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,119 of 5,248

Quote:
wait till you hear it amped.  when I first got the D2kI first tried it with my ipod, and I wasn't blown away. But when I hooked it up to an amp,  it sounded much better. 

I totally believe you.  Unfortunately, that won't be happening for awhile.  Unless of course someone has something lying around unused they want to donate to me... :)

Maybe in a few months for my birthday I can get my wife to spring for something.  They sound great to me now, though, so amping them is something to look forward to!

For a portable amp under $100, is there something other than the Fiio E7 I should look at?

May 4, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,120 of 5,248
browse the trade section of head-fi, tbh you get much better value getting usedNot to familiar with Fiio E7, lot of people like them tho.. If I was to buy another portable amp I would probably get something like an SR71

Quote:
I totally believe you.  Unfortunately, that won't be happening for awhile.  Unless of course someone has something lying around unused they want to donate to me... :)

Maybe in a few months for my birthday I can get my wife to spring for something.  They sound great to me now, though, so amping them is something to look forward to!

For a portable amp under $100, is there something other than the Fiio E7 I should look at?

May 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,121 of 5,248
I used my D2000s with an E7 for a long time.  It will definitely be adeqate until you decide to upgrade to a full sized amplifier.  Also, it has a great DAC built into it, and you will be suprised at the difference a good source makes.

May 4, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,122 of 5,248
Thanks for the advice, folks.  I'll try to scrounge up a gift or a hundred bucks (or less if I can find one used) for an E7 in the next few months.

My kids (3 and 5 years old) both tried the D2000s out today (at pretty low volume because I'm paranoid).  Aside from it looking completely adorable, they were both quite enthralled with them and wanted several turns at it.

Been listening to Radiohead.  Kid A especially feels like a whole new album, and of course new Radiohead is never a bad thing.  Amazing that an album that good just gets better with all the detail.

Okay, tomorrow, really, I'll start working on my own music again.   Been having too much fun listening.

The only thing I don't like is the cable.  It just doesn't hang well.  They are comfortable, though.

May 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,124 of 5,248

Quote:
So how much better do the D2Ks sound through a LDI+ compared to a Fiio E5? I'm using the E5 right now and I've been looking for an amp, and a used LD seems to be in my budget.

Like we mentioned earlier pairing the Denons with cheap OTL tube amps is going to make them sound bloated and the bass flabby. I suggest you get a Nuforce Udac2 instead until you can get a better solid state amp.

May 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,125 of 5,248
Like we mentioned earlier pairing the Denons with cheap OTL tube amps is going to make them sound bloated and the bass flabby. I suggest you get a Nuforce Udac2 instead until you can get a better solid state amp.

I have this setup, and I don't find it bloated. I don't know where the standard is, but it's rather pretty tight bass to me. I think 800mW at 32ohm with strong current has something to do with it. LDI+ is a hybrid amp with tube preamp and opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back