Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,083 of 5,248
Hey guys, I tried a search but didn't find too much.

How are the D5000s (stock) for gaming?  I know that they're generally considered good...but how good?  Mostly for FPS-es...I would assume they'd be pretty similar to the D7000 but I"m not sure if soundstage differences would change things up.  But regardless how are they in terms of positioning and directional sound, especially compared/contrasted to some well-known gaming stalwarts like the AD700, DT770/880/990 K701, etc etc?  How do they stack up?  Also could any users with Asus DG/DX/D2X/STX/etc soundcards or Astro Mixamps maybe comment on their synergy with Dolby Headphone?

-Thanks for any input.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,085 of 5,248

Quote:
since the D2k's that i have are easy to drive ... I was wondering if simply a FiiO e7 would suffice, or if I would benefit from an E7/E9 combo?

I am running them out of an E7 right now, sounds great!  But I am saving up for the E9, I'm not sure if there will be a difference, but I wouldn't be surprised.  These drivers have not failed to impress me yet, something tells me that the more I give them, the more they'll give back.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,086 of 5,248
Sadly, I need to sell my D2000.

They just don't get enough head time next to my HD 650, and I recently broke my graphics card, so I'm using this chance as an excuse to upgrade, and I need all the money I can get.

It was an amazing 6 months. They are still the lightest and best fitting headphones out there, even though they always felt like they would fall off my head.

On a side note, I think I overstretched the headband. And I still can't get the ear pads to lock. Rotating them half an inch in the unlocking direction will have them fall off.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,087 of 5,248

Quote:
since the D2k's that i have are easy to drive ... I was wondering if simply a FiiO e7 would suffice, or if I would benefit from an E7/E9 combo?

D2k with Fiio combo [e7+e9] sound wise, but i prefer only E9 as a Amplifier, better bass and more air in music, I Have Rega Ear and NuForce Icon Mobile, and must say, that Rega is great for Denons, detailed and dynamic as stand alone Unit with soundcard, Adding Nuforce as a source bring another benefits, More Space, More details, More everything.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,089 of 5,248

Quote:
The FiiO amps are really entry level, and the d2000/5000 deserve a better amp. nuforce is better but i think the matrix m stage is the best for under $250.

Denons sound good from almost everything, that's the truth

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,090 of 5,248
The FiiO amps are really entry level, and the d2000/5000 deserve a better amp. nuforce is better but i think the matrix m stage is the best for under $250.

Denons sound good from almost everything, that's the truth

Yes and yes 
biggrin.gif
. The Denons sound great through entry level amps but they definitely get better when paired with high-end amps; in particular SS amps. If you're on a strict budget I guess the E7/E9 combo will suffice but I would definitely upgrade somewhere down the line.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #1,091 of 5,248
Just wanted to check in and add another to the D2k owner list! 
L3000.gif
  Loving them so far.  I must admit that I don't think they have anywhere near as much bass as I expected out of them based on a lot of the threads I've read around here.  Guess I must be a bass head!

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,093 of 5,248
in my opinion They are in the middle... much darker than most known Hi_fi headphones, but not so dark as Shure 750DJ, Ultrasone Pro900/2900 and other bass heavy phones

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #1,094 of 5,248

Quote:
Just wanted to check in and add another to the D2k owner list! 
L3000.gif
  Loving them so far.  I must admit that I don't think they have anywhere near as much bass as I expected out of them based on a lot of the threads I've read around here.  Guess I must be a bass head!

I felt the same way when I got them. I helped them out in two ways:

1) Removed the white cotton that is inside the cups. It deadens the bass some.
2) Used the VST plugin for foobar and upped the bass to my liking.

They are right where I want them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back