Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 4, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #1,066 of 5,248
That I don't know. With the more sterile Fuze via LoD I sliiiightly preferred the D7000 with the Lyr, but only just. Once I compared the Lyr and E9 through the E7 (which has a little warmth), I greatly preferred the D7000 through the E9. Not even a second thought. The musicality of the E9 just suits my preference more. The Lyr is too polite for me with the Denons. Neutralheads would love the Lyr though.

The D7000 sounds SO balanced with the Lyr, I honestly don't see any reason why new pads would be necessary. The Lyr makes the bass so tight and so in line with the rest of sound, any more subdued bass would make them boring, IMHO.

I think the Lyr wants more aggressive and brighter tubes or sources, at least for my personal preference. For the D7000 anyway.

I think a DAC with more refinement but same amount of warmth as the E7 would do the E9 some justice for the Denons.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,067 of 5,248

Quote:
 I think people are dismissing the E9 way too early, where they should consider pairing it with a better source. ESPECIALLY in the case of easy to drive headphones like the Denons. The Lyr is definitely more refined, but you'll want to go back to the engaging sound of the E9, IMHO.

Again, I'm referring to the E9 with cans like the Denons that don't require too much, despite the nonsense (IMHO) that they want a lot of power to shine.

I disagree on them being "easy" to drive.

If by easy, it means you don't have to spend a lot of money, then I agree.

But in my opinion, it's a picky headphone.  It needs the "right" amp to shine. The wrong amp can make these cans sound bland and boring.  Most of the people that I've come across who didn't like the D2000s didn't have a good amp hooked up to them. I've even seen some people here talk about them being easy to drive out of an iPod (big no-no IMO) and then a few weeks later you read posts of people being disappointed with the sound.  I'm not sure I'd say power hungry, but definitely a picky set.

I'd actually like to upgrade my amp in the future but I'm scared nothing will compare to my current combo.  I might consider the E9 now thanks to your post.  

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,068 of 5,248
The E9 is a great, cheap amp. I love mine. I'm considering an Asgard in the future, but I'll definitely need to see how I feel about the D7000 with my E9 after I get them. Only $300 more to go! Get hype.

Quote:

I disagree on them being "easy" to drive.

If by easy, it means you don't have to spend a lot of money, then I agree.

But in my opinion, it's a picky headphone.  It needs the "right" amp to shine. The wrong amp can make these cans sound bland and boring.  Most of the people that I've come across who didn't like the D2000s didn't have a good amp hooked up to them. I've even seen some people here talk about them being to drive out of an iPod (big no-no IMO) and then a few weeks later you read posts of people being disappointed with the sound.  I'm not sure I'd say power hungry, but definitely a picky set.

I'd actually like to upgrade my amp in the future but I'm scared nothing will compare to my current combo.  I might consider the E9 now thanks to your post.  

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,069 of 5,248
I'm seriously considering an E9, now.  I want to upgrade my home setup, but I have no desire to upgrade my pair of Denons.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #1,070 of 5,248
Let me be clear in saying that I don't think the E9 is superior to the Lyr. The Lyr has a noticeable refinement to it and sounds more natural, while the E9 sounds emphasized for a more in your face sound. I just feel that the E9's edgy tone plays very well with the D7000, and I prefer it. Technically, I'm sure audiophiles will find the Lyr to be sonically superior, if by a little bit.

However, as much as I try to justify the Lyr, I can't say it pairs better with the Denons than the E9, to MY preference. Those who prefer warmth and find the Denons sibilant or too edgy will do better with an amp like the Lyr. I however like a little more sizzle than the stock tubes on the Lyr so far.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #1,071 of 5,248
I have owned many many, sets of headphones over the years, listening mainly through my home set up.The Denon AH-D5000 are my all time favourites, I love these cans, to make them really shine top quality amplification, good source and as we all know , a ridiculously long burn in period is required.
I have a sweet little portable set up as well now and use the just audio uHA-120 and the Corda Stepdance out of a 5th gen Imod, the synergy with the Denons with both of these amps is very good indeed, however with the stepdance set to low gain liquid velvet pours into your ears, a spectacularly huge soundstage, bass to die for, tight and emotional,crystal clear highs and mids that are on a par with my modded orthos.
These are truly marvellous headphones, far superior to cans that far exceed them in price, ie flagship Senns and Grados,I know this as I have owned and sold them on, I really enjoy my Senn 650s great for acoustics and Grado 325is great for metal and my orthos for vocals, particularly female vocals.
But the Denons excel in all these areas and are sublime for classical and brass sections, I will not even go into the comfort factor, no point as nothing else (I,ve had) comes remotely close.  

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #1,075 of 5,248
Try J&R D7000. Some people can get them under $700. You may have to bargain 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,078 of 5,248
I want to join with my D2000 with D5000 wooden cups and a Custom Jmoney Leather Pads,and ViaBlue 3,5mm jack  all i need now is to recable them with some nice cable. i'm thinking about  D7000 cable, but there is large amount of good lookin' and good playin' cables on the market, any suggestions? I don't want to spend lot of cash on it... thinking bout Mogami and Something Looking similar to Cryo, i love the cooper colour with transparent isolation
redface.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,080 of 5,248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back