Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 31, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #976 of 5,248

Do you feel like the PA2v2 would be worth getting? I know it doesn't compare to the Hornet, but for the price it seems like it's a pretty good deal, and the E5 is good for it's price but I almost wouldn't consider it a "real" amp.
Quote:
OK.  My initial set-up was follows:  FLAC Files --> HeadRoom Micro DAC -->Amp .  Amps used:  PA2v2, RSA Hornet, HeadRoom Micro Amp with Desktop Module.  The PA2v2 was outclassed significantly by the MicroAmp and the Hornet.  And, being about 8x the cost of a PA2v2, those two pieces of equipment had BETTER outclass the PA2v2.  The PA2v2 was fine, but compared to the other two, the bass was loose (Hornet and Micro much tighter and punchier, Micro better extension, Hornet the tightest), mids were not as forward (especially compared to the Hornet, which is rightfully lauded for its sweetheart mids).  I didn't pay too much attention to the treble, but on cymbals, the PA2v2 did not seem to have the clarity and resolution as the more expensive amps.

Sensing this was not fair, I decided to listen to the D2000 out of the headphone jack on my Creative crapola speakers.  Ugh... it didn't sound very good at all.  Dark, congested, blah...  The PA2v2 sounded much better, but then again, the earlier test provided it with a superior source (Micro DAC) as opposed to a Creative X-Fi sound card feeding the headphone jack of a pair of speakers.

The only thing I could come up with is comparing the PA2v2 to the headphone out of my iPhone 3G.  256Kbps Mp3 files --> iPhone --> FiiO line-out --> PA2v2 --> D2000 was a big improvement vs. the headphone jack.  First, the sound opened up and was much less congested.  Second, bass had more impact to go along with more quantity.  Finally, there was the ability to make MOAR NOISE - of course, the iPhone jack was plenty loud enough, but the PA2v2 could push the headphones to insane, hearing damaging volume with little effort.  

I don't know if the PA2v2 is an improvement over what you currently have, but unless the FiiO E5 is a really AMAZING budget portable, I think the D2000 deserves a bit better if you could swing it.  The Hornet and iPhone combo beats the PA2v2 and iPhone combo, and it isn't close (nor is it fair).

Quote:
Have any of you guys paired the D2000 with a PA2V2? If so, how does it sound?

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #977 of 5,248
Maybe you can save your money and snag a better amp?  Like something from iBasso?  I don't know how much the PA2v2 will be a step up from what you have now, and I wouldn't want you to spend $50 or so.

Quote:
Do you feel like the PA2v2 would be worth getting? I know it doesn't compare to the Hornet, but for the price it seems like it's a pretty good deal, and the E5 is good for it's price but I almost wouldn't consider it a "real" amp.
Quote:
OK.  My initial set-up was follows:  FLAC Files --> HeadRoom Micro DAC -->Amp .  Amps used:  PA2v2, RSA Hornet, HeadRoom Micro Amp with Desktop Module.  The PA2v2 was outclassed significantly by the MicroAmp and the Hornet.  And, being about 8x the cost of a PA2v2, those two pieces of equipment had BETTER outclass the PA2v2.  The PA2v2 was fine, but compared to the other two, the bass was loose (Hornet and Micro much tighter and punchier, Micro better extension, Hornet the tightest), mids were not as forward (especially compared to the Hornet, which is rightfully lauded for its sweetheart mids).  I didn't pay too much attention to the treble, but on cymbals, the PA2v2 did not seem to have the clarity and resolution as the more expensive amps.

Sensing this was not fair, I decided to listen to the D2000 out of the headphone jack on my Creative crapola speakers.  Ugh... it didn't sound very good at all.  Dark, congested, blah...  The PA2v2 sounded much better, but then again, the earlier test provided it with a superior source (Micro DAC) as opposed to a Creative X-Fi sound card feeding the headphone jack of a pair of speakers.

The only thing I could come up with is comparing the PA2v2 to the headphone out of my iPhone 3G.  256Kbps Mp3 files --> iPhone --> FiiO line-out --> PA2v2 --> D2000 was a big improvement vs. the headphone jack.  First, the sound opened up and was much less congested.  Second, bass had more impact to go along with more quantity.  Finally, there was the ability to make MOAR NOISE - of course, the iPhone jack was plenty loud enough, but the PA2v2 could push the headphones to insane, hearing damaging volume with little effort.  

I don't know if the PA2v2 is an improvement over what you currently have, but unless the FiiO E5 is a really AMAZING budget portable, I think the D2000 deserves a bit better if you could swing it.  The Hornet and iPhone combo beats the PA2v2 and iPhone combo, and it isn't close (nor is it fair).

Quote:
Have any of you guys paired the D2000 with a PA2V2? If so, how does it sound?

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #980 of 5,248
I see that they aren't priced that high, but you just made the Hornet sound so tempting. 
tongue.gif

I think I'm just going to go with the PA2v2 for now, I know it's not my best option but I'm sure it would sound great for the price, and since I haven't heard these phones through a Hornet I won't feel like I'm missing anything. I'm on a college student's budget right now so dropping over 300 on an amp doesn't seem feasible in the near future, but it is something I would like to have eventually. Plus I can always sell the PA2v2 when I'm ready to upgrade and get some money back.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #982 of 5,248

According to Lawton Audio, don't bother trying to obtain a pair of D5000 cups for your D2000.

"Sadly, the D5000’s cups will not retro-fit to your D2000 even if you could manage to find a pair."

Lawton Audio also makes replacement wooden cups for the Denon headphones, and while they look gorgeous, they are not cheap.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page20a.html

Originally Posted by sugarkang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Silly of me not to see this thread.  Is it possible to buy stock D-5000 cups and put them on a D-2000?
And if so, is anyone willing to sell me their D-5000 cups? 

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #983 of 5,248
Actually, they apparently do fit if you are willing to drill a hole to fit in one of the screws.  I don't remember the exact process but with some searching you should be able to find something here in the forum about it.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #984 of 5,248

Is that quote on the Lawton site?
Is there somewhere else I need to look?
The link just shows custom cups, but I am interested in original stock D-5000 cups.

Quote:
According to Lawton Audio, don't bother trying to obtain a pair of D5000 cups for your D2000.

"Sadly, the D5000’s cups will not retro-fit to your D2000 even if you could manage to find a pair."

Lawton Audio also makes replacement wooden cups for the Denon headphones, and while they look gorgeous, they are not cheap.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page20a.html

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #986 of 5,248
Jan 3, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #987 of 5,248
Jan 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #988 of 5,248
Whoa!  Where'd the D2000 and D5000 graphs go from Headroom?  Are they going to update with new graphs or are they just AWOL from the web for a short while?

Anyways, doctorhead.ru also has graphs for the Denon headphones.  D2000 graph, D5000 graph, D7000 graph and a AH-A100 graph for fun
Browse the site with Google Chrome and the browser will ask if you want to translate the page from Russian to English.
Their Denon graphs seem to be accurate to how I hear the phones.  A bit different than the Headroom graphs.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #989 of 5,248
Quote:
Good info.
Now I just need the cups. 
I have a feeling that the 5000 might be more to my liking if the headroom graphs are correct.

If you're interested you can try to source the D7000 cups from MarkL at Lawton Audio. That's where I picked mine up from and the price was actually really affordable. I don't think he does too much with the D5000 as they are the same as the D2000 with the exception of the cable and cups but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #990 of 5,248

Quote:
Whoa!  Where'd the D2000 and D5000 graphs go from Headroom?  Are they going to update with new graphs or are they just AWOL from the web for a short while?

Anyways, doctorhead.ru also has graphs for the Denon headphones.  D2000 graph, D5000 graph, D7000 graph and a AH-A100 graph for fun
Browse the site with Google Chrome and the browser will ask if you want to translate the page from Russian to English.
Their Denon graphs seem to be accurate to how I hear the phones.  A bit different than the Headroom graphs.

Interesting..those responses seem extremely flat compared to the ones from Headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back