Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 22, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #961 of 5,248
I posted this as a thread, but I thought I'd post it in here as well seeing as this is your area of expertise. 

On my quest to find some good bass heavy headphones I bought the Shure SRH750DJs, and while they do fit most of my needs a few things are lacking. Comfort wise, I feel like they have a vice grip on my head which is really bothersome. I listen to a lot of metal, and I really like the way the guitars and bass sound, but I feel like the drums are lacking, and they sound a little too analytical for my tastes. I bought them as an upgrade from my HD 485s but I don't feel like they were much of an upgrade.

I don't know the right term to describe this, but when I listen to metal through the 750DJs it doesn't sound as "full" as my HD 485s, but I do like the detail better with the 750DJs. I was thinking about spending more money if it was worth it, and I've been looking at the Denon AHD2000s. I'm reading a few reviews but I'd like some straight answers:

How is the bass? I'd like just as much as the 750DJs (I'm a basshead). I want to feel the headphones actually rumble when heavy bass kicks in.

How are the rest of the frequencies? The thing that kept me from getting the Beyer DT770s was the recessed mids. 

How is the sound stage? I'd like just as much or more than the 750DJs

How are they comfort wise?

Do I need an amp? I have an E5 right now but if they require something more powerful I wouldn't be against it. 

Will they sound good for metal? I also listen to hip-hop, electronic, and some orchestral, but the thing that matters most is how metal will sound. I want to hear the guitars clearly, I want to hear the drum hits and I want the vocals to sound nice. 

Thanks in advance.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #962 of 5,248
I'm not sure if I'm much help but I really want to rack up some posts :wink:.

I had the SRH840 and the D2000 and found that the Denon had much more bass. Give them a go. Try and audition a pair if you can.

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #963 of 5,248
Quote:
Quote:
To add just a bit more about the J$ earpads, because they are significantly thicker pads with a bit stiffer foam being used, they provide a slightly stronger clamping force.   This, along with the lambskin leather, offer a better overall sound isolation. 

Yes, and that's why I seriously considered it at one point. I am concerned however, that the distance change will have an undesired effect on the sound. I had the LA's with stuffed pads and did not care for the results (but they have other mods done...).

Stuffed pads also are not as thick or contact the head as evenly as the J$ pads.  Plus, as you say, the markl mod is more extensive than just the pads.  I've long been curious to hear how the mod would sound with the J$ pads.

On a side note, I'm finding it surprising just how well the D2000 seems to pair with an iPod Photo.  Not bad!

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #964 of 5,248
Hey all, just wanted to chime in here. I've had my D2000s for about a year now. I thought to comment because the music I'm listening to sounds absolutely amazing. 
tongue_smile.gif

I have been rocking mostly: electronic / hip hop / pop / indie rock on them.

Also: I played the drone metal band Earth's "A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra Capsular Extraction". This sounds amazing on the D2000s. His distortion is so warm and works very well on the D2000s: you can hear every interval of each chord being played like a texture map. I can see why D2000s are often listed as best for electronic/pop/metal now!!! 
k701smile.gif

Quote:
I've had my D2000s for about 3 days now and I'm absolutely loving the sound.  It's so strange having listened to my AD700s for almost a year now and then going to these D2000s which actually have a thump to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

My only complaint is the cord.  The rubbery cord on my AD700 was much more pleasant than this cloth cord on D2000s.  The D2000 cord is grabbing dust off my desk (I didn't even think there was dust there to begin with!) and is just not pleasant to route around objects on my desk.

I switched from the AD-700s to D2000s as well! I guess the AD700 are great entry level phones in that regard. I agree with the cloth cord in general, I think rubber would also have the added benefit of complimenting the "cool, but utilitarian" look of the D2000s. I also think the cord splitter is bulky and unnecessary in design, plus it can sometimes get caught on the edge of a table when I'm standing up from squatting / laying, etc. I hate when it yanks the cord, I hate the thought of the connection within the headphone becoming more tenuous. Luckily, I really haven't yanked "hard" to speak of.

Quote:
I can't speak to most of this, but the J$ "mod" is just replacement earpads, which will work identically on the D2000, D5000, and D7000.  The advantage sound-wise is that they push the drivers farther away from the ear, so that the large drivers aren't blaring so close to the ear.  It's just a matter of optimal driver placement.  I'd recommend getting the J$ pads regardless of which AH-D#000 you decide to go for.

After trying the J$ pads on and off, then on, then off, I've settled with on. When I first put them on, I perceived a slight decrease in overall bass impact. While I still believe this is true, it doesn't take into account the unique properties of bass the J$ pads offer the D2000s as well. I fell like when the pads are on, the bass becomes more refined, and has more "echo" or resonation to it. Some of the dirty oomph is lost, but it doesn't dwarf the bass by any means, and really makes it "tighter" -- often used to describe the bass on J$.

The portion of sound most subject to the changes seen with the J$ pad is the treble though. Without the J$, the treble is harsh, in your face, and undefined. With the J$ pads installed, I feel the treble gains a soundstage that is wide and expansive, and the treble highs are backed off a bit in harshness. Both of these elements combined make the trebles shine both in a more immersive listen and in long-listening ability.

So, I think the benefits to both the bass and treble would make one want to test out the J$ -- it makes the D2000s look sexier, and sound more musical -- IMO. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

P.S. I rock the D2000s with the iBasso D4 USB DAC

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #965 of 5,248
How would you guys compare the ADH1100 and 2000? The 1100 is $100 cheaper, which appeals to me more, but if the 2000 has much better sound I'd rather invest in something really good.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #966 of 5,248
The D2000 is much better, and worth the extra $$$, IMO.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #967 of 5,248
I am sitting here, D5000's  with Jmoney V3 pads listening to Joan Baez, Diamonds and rust and in absolute bliss. I really like what the Jmoneys do the 5000's bringing them for me very close now to the 7000's from my memory of comparing the two before. Don't get me wrong, if you do nothing to the 5000's I think you would be very happy, I just like the firming up a little of the bass and slightly more forward and transparent mids that the jmoney's seem to bring to the show!

I just keep forgetting about these headphones and equipment though as I seem to be engrossed once again in the music!

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #968 of 5,248
I bought my D2000s about 2 months ago and I think I've got the sound signature I was always searching for. They look gorgeous and sound great. I love them with all kinds of music - true all-round cans ( currently listening to Muse :) ). I am also planning to get the D1100s next week for use in my lab (where I can't use an amp).

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #971 of 5,248
Does anyone know of a place in Japan (preferably Nagoya area) that offers some modding options for my D2000? Perhaps a recable would be my first choice of mods.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #972 of 5,248

Quote:
Does anyone know of a place in Japan (preferably Nagoya area) that offers some modding options for my D2000? Perhaps a recable would be my first choice of mods.

Not sure if Currawong answers PMs, but this sounds like something he may have a handle on, if only because he lives in Japan and spend a lot of time with headphones. Personally, I'm just going to save my money until I can afford to send my D2Ks to markl.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #973 of 5,248
Thanks for that. I live in New Zealand and the combination of shipping and an unfavourable exchange rate make it far too costly for me to consider. I will be in Japan for 3 weeks in March so if I could find a reliable place I would take that opportunity to at least get a recable done.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #974 of 5,248
OK.  My initial set-up was follows:  FLAC Files --> HeadRoom Micro DAC -->Amp .  Amps used:  PA2v2, RSA Hornet, HeadRoom Micro Amp with Desktop Module.  The PA2v2 was outclassed significantly by the MicroAmp and the Hornet.  And, being about 8x the cost of a PA2v2, those two pieces of equipment had BETTER outclass the PA2v2.  The PA2v2 was fine, but compared to the other two, the bass was loose (Hornet and Micro much tighter and punchier, Micro better extension, Hornet the tightest), mids were not as forward (especially compared to the Hornet, which is rightfully lauded for its sweetheart mids).  I didn't pay too much attention to the treble, but on cymbals, the PA2v2 did not seem to have the clarity and resolution as the more expensive amps.

Sensing this was not fair, I decided to listen to the D2000 out of the headphone jack on my Creative crapola speakers.  Ugh... it didn't sound very good at all.  Dark, congested, blah...  The PA2v2 sounded much better, but then again, the earlier test provided it with a superior source (Micro DAC) as opposed to a Creative X-Fi sound card feeding the headphone jack of a pair of speakers.

The only thing I could come up with is comparing the PA2v2 to the headphone out of my iPhone 3G.  256Kbps Mp3 files --> iPhone --> FiiO line-out --> PA2v2 --> D2000 was a big improvement vs. the headphone jack.  First, the sound opened up and was much less congested.  Second, bass had more impact to go along with more quantity.  Finally, there was the ability to make MOAR NOISE - of course, the iPhone jack was plenty loud enough, but the PA2v2 could push the headphones to insane, hearing damaging volume with little effort.  

I don't know if the PA2v2 is an improvement over what you currently have, but unless the FiiO E5 is a really AMAZING budget portable, I think the D2000 deserves a bit better if you could swing it.  The Hornet and iPhone combo beats the PA2v2 and iPhone combo, and it isn't close (nor is it fair).

Quote:
Have any of you guys paired the D2000 with a PA2V2? If so, how does it sound?

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #975 of 5,248
Just got my Denon AH-D2000 headphones today.

Even with a somewhat subpar setup and source material (320kbps MP3s on an internal computer sound card setup), and just one hour of burn-in, I already notice a greater depth of sound than any of my other headphones.

However, the bass wasn't as strong as I liked, so I just EQ'd it.  Yes, it might be blasphemy to some here, but now the headphones are near perfect for my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back