Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 10, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #871 of 5,248
guys and girls, from start to finish, exactly how do you listen to your Denon's/what format/program/equipment/etc??

myself: mp3 (LAME 320kbps), on iTunes, on Powerbook G4 --> USB DAC/AMP (iBasso D4 Mamba) *gain down* --> Denon AH-D2000 w/ stock

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #872 of 5,248
Thanks for that reply on the J$ pads. Your description makes me think we hear pretty similarly. I was thinking of getting the J$ just to try it, but the cons you just described makes me think they aren't for me.

I've improved the bass with an EQ for songs that I feel like it should be more present (which has made it close to where I want it to be), and I put it back to flat on most other songs. I've been happy with the change despite it making the sound "inaccurate". Ah well, I figure as long as I enjoy it, it doesn't matter.

Edit: Two setups: Foobar2000 (Flac, 320, Wasapi) -> (amp hasn't come in yet...probably going to be Audinst or Sparrow, currently creative sound card) -> D2000s

Pioneer Cd player -> Pioneer Receiver -> D2000's.

The pioneer setup is much better. Hopefully the amp fixes that. Tired of making CDs with my favorite songs 
redface.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #874 of 5,248
^ k, could be, i'm wondering what your setup sequence is too.

plonter, are you referring exclusively to the audio files bitrate/type above?

@DDVX, is foobar2000 better than iTunes for sound quality? anyone else, is iTunes junky for hi-fi?

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #876 of 5,248
Honestly I don't know Kelvan. The only real advantage I've seen is the ability to play flac files, as well as more customization. It definitely takes getting used to (took me a few days to get my bearings), but I enjoy it now. People say it sounds better, but I can't really tell. I haven't done many tests, so I can't say for sure. If it does, great, if it doesn't, meh, I still learned a good new audio program and can customize this or that that I didn't like in itunes.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #877 of 5,248
My setup with my D2000 is
J River Media Center with EasyQ for EQ >> M-Audio FireWire 410 >> AV123 x-head amp >> D2000 stock

The EQ is a necessary part for me.  I use a parametric EQ to bump up the midrange and fix the recessed midrange.  To get that you need to use a media player that allows for adding in a good parametric EQ as a plug-in.  Using the iTunes graphic EQ doesn't cut it.

Almost all of my music files are FLAC.  I don't hear a practical difference between FLAC and high bitrate MP3 (LAME V0).  I'm fine listening to high bitrate MP3 if I have to.

The x-head does a good job of driving the Denon.  I'm happy with it.

The FW410 is what I've had for a DAC for the past 6+ years.  It works fine and I don't feel a need to replace it with a newer DAC yet.  When/if I get a laptop that doesn't have a FireWire port I'll have to get a USB DAC, but until then the FW410 works and sounds fine.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #878 of 5,248
Any one of the following.

1) WinXP ->  SACD - CD / or High bitrate .wav or FLAC files -> JRiver (Bit Perfect) -> Xonar Essence STX -> Cans.

2) WinXP ->  SACD - CD / or High bitrate .wav or FLAC files -> JRiver (Bit Perfect) -> Xonar Essence STX S\PDIF -> Benchmark DAC1-Pre -> Cans.

3) WinXP ->  SACD - CD / or High bitrate .wav or FLAC files -> JRiver (Bit Perfect) -> Xonar Essence STX S\PDIF -> Benchmark DAC1-Pre -> Outlaw RR2150 -> Cans.

4) ALAC files / iPod -> D5000 
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #880 of 5,248

Quote:
Seeing how everyone's posting their setups...

Where are the Mac owners with Denons? What software do you guys use to EQ your phones? And what's a good playback program (not iTunes) that plays FLAC?

I use "Play" for flac. It has an extensive EQ, but I generally never EQ.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #881 of 5,248
KelvenE,

You could always do the MarkL modded ear pads that are just the stock ones filled with polyfiber and angled with a modded plastic cup.  That's pretty much inbetween both the J$ pads and stock.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #882 of 5,248
Quote:
Honestly I don't know Kelvan. The only real advantage I've seen is the ability to play flac files, as well as more customization. It definitely takes getting used to (took me a few days to get my bearings), but I enjoy it now. People say it sounds better, but I can't really tell. I haven't done many tests, so I can't say for sure. If it does, great, if it doesn't, meh, I still learned a good new audio program and can customize this or that that I didn't like in itunes.

nice, i'm going to research it more...

Quote:
KelvenE,

You could always do the MarkL modded ear pads that are just the stock ones filled with polyfiber and angled with a modded plastic cup.  That's pretty much inbetween both the J$ pads and stock.

yea, not that cosmetics is the primary issue, but the stuffed pads just look a bit whack to me. i dunno, i'm still going to hold onto these J-Money for a bit, in case I change my mind. I looked at the MarkL mods, and I'd have to say custom wood cups looks best, but i'm definitely not there in terms of money to spend. i'm new to this whole hi-fi deal, but am liking it plenty =).

is FLAC of a higher quality than REDBOOK (CD format)? 

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #883 of 5,248

Quote:

is FLAC of a higher quality than REDBOOK (CD format)? 

FLAC can be of higher quality than redbook format.  Redbook is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz.  FLAC can do high resolution audio (like 24 bit at 96 kHz or better) so it is possible to have FLAC files that are higher quality than Redbook.  If you rip a CD to FLAC the FLAC file will be exactly the redbook audio with no difference.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #884 of 5,248
Joining the D2000 club as of last night.  I was looking for a cheap, closed backup can for my HD800 (my main obviously) that sound significantly different from it, and figured that the D2000 would fit the bill from demoing them a few times in the past.  Through the hiface -> DA100 -> Gilmore Lite setup, they do very well, giving the hard hitting and well extending bass, sparkly treble with mids that indeed sit back but are still clear enough.  Happy with them as expected. 
smile_phones.gif
  They're probably not going to get THAT much playing time with HD800 around but they'll do well for any late night listening I do.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #885 of 5,248
thanks Ham for the clarification, and thanks all for posting setup sequences. it was helpful to learn exactly what programs people use for music. and the fact that computer ---> USB DAC is a rare choice (perhaps tellingly).

DDVX, i just switched back on the J-Money and now love them. I am not joking. Nothing changed. I had them sitting there for a few days and yearned to at least hear their soundstage again. The texture they bring out in the Denons is truly unreal. The bass this time seems louder (not louder than stock, but louder than the J-Money a few days back).

It's weird but I'm completely digging them right now... I mentioned your name because I think you should at least TRY them, or rather, I wouldn't want to stop you from it. My main qualm with them before, taking away the bang-slap power of electronic punchiness, is almost a non-point. Because: the J-Money almost seem to discriminate, or rather finally allow the Denon's to discriminate well which sounds need to be forward, and which sounds need to recede back in the stereo mix, spatially, in an illusory way, away from the listener.

If I play electronic music louder then I still get the forward punch, but also the ambient parts of the mix fill in the space nicely too....dunno, I'm a fickle listener, that much has been concluded by myself. Finicky, but I'm glad I still have both pads, and I've switched them on and off three times now, so I'm beginning to be a pro and quick and effective switching. KEY: the fabric on both the stock and J-Money stretch much more that you would think...reassuring for a newcomer to the J-Money surely.

Quote:
FLAC can be of higher quality than redbook format.  Redbook is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz.  FLAC can do high resolution audio (like 24 bit at 96 kHz or better) so it is possible to have FLAC files that are higher quality than Redbook.  If you rip a CD to FLAC the FLAC file will be exactly the redbook audio with no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back