Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #722 of 5,248

Quote:
great thanks, sounds easy. so I'll just leave them playing music at regular listening volumes then.

well...yeah.  I actually meant that you also listen to them,but leaving them playing also when you are not listening will not hurt them,I also do that with new headphones every once in a while.   I say give them some rest every few hours (just for a few minutes) just in case,and keep them at NORMAL listening levels.

May 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #723 of 5,248
well yeah, I'll be listening a lot too i'm sure, hah. i've read they might sound really harsh after a few hours until much further in, so leaving them playing sounded like a good idea. giving them some rest does sound like a good idea too. thanks

May 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #724 of 5,248

Quote:
Well, the directions for replacing the pad are kinda dumb: pushing down on the pads is not effective for removing the ring from the assembly.  The pad just ends up sliding around on the ring.  What I did to replace them was to VERY SLIGHTLY lift up the ring enough to get ahold of it to turn it and unlock it from the assembly.  That was a snap, and the only concern should be lifting it up too far and breaking the ring.  Getting the pads on and off of the ring isn't very difficult, but it takes a little bit of patience.  Not a big deal, honestly.

I'm surprised that the comfort of the pads didn't improve for you after a couple of months!  I've had mine for just a couple of weeks, and both comfort and sound quality are greatly improved, and I wear glasses.  Did you not wear them for extended periods of time?  I just can't imagine them not being a noticeable improvement.

For me, it was an excellent upgrade, and a very easy one to do.

Getting either the stock or J$ pads on or off the rings was easy.  I had no complaints about the comfort of the J$ pads.  After a few weeks of break-in -- and, yes, I did wear them for extended periods of time! -- the J$ pads were as comfortable as the stock pads, which is to say very comfortable.

The problem was it was almost impossible for me to get the pads (with plastic rings attached) back on the 'phones.  If it matters, I am a sixty something woman with arthritic double jointed thumbs.  Installing the pads may be easier for someone who can exert more force, but it should not be as difficult as it is.

Also, as I've said in other threads, I prefer the sound of the stock D7000 pads to the sound of the J$ pads.

May 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #725 of 5,248

Quote:
Getting either the stock or J$ pads on or off the rings was easy.  I had no complaints about the comfort of the J$ pads.  After a few weeks of break-in -- and, yes, I did wear them for extended periods of time! -- the J$ pads were as comfortable as the stock pads, which is to say very comfortable.

The problem was it was almost impossible for me to get the pads (with plastic rings attached) back on the 'phones.  If it matters, I am a sixty something woman with arthritic double jointed thumbs.  Installing the pads may be easier for someone who can exert more force, but it should not be as difficult as it is.

Also, as I've said in other threads, I prefer the sound of the stock D7000 pads to the sound of the J$ pads.

Can't argue with joint difficulties making it more difficult, but for most people it shouldn't really be a problem if you try a different approach (pinching the ring and turning, as opposed to pushing down on the whole pad).

As far as sound preference, there may well be other factors with the D7000.  I remember trying both the D5000 and D7000 during the same listening session, and greatly preferred the D5000 at the time.  Neither had replacement pads that I'm aware of, though one or both may have been recabled (it was at Moon Audio's booth at a meet in Charlotte, NC).  I own the D2000 with the JMoney pads being the ONLY modification.  I'm very pleased with the result.  It's a shame you were not.  But then, if you can actually afford the D7000, you probably have a rig that puts my meager little iBasso D1 to complete shame.  Hah.  :)

May 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #727 of 5,248
I tried to use these headphones with my TV's headphone output and my budget computer speakers headphone outs and it failed ... hardcore.

Kind of miss the Sennheiser HD 555s right about now

May 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #730 of 5,248

Quote:
I think he's saying those un-amped outputs don't drive the d2k well.

They're amped, but not the proper amp for the headphones.  I can't turn it up to an enjoyable level without it distorting.  I need some TV headphones again.

:/

edit: I don't understand why people have said in the past that you can run these headphones out of anything.  I will say I can use my iPod or my friend's stereo receiver to listen to them, but NOTHING sounds as good as a dedicated Headphone amp (bass is better).  I would say they're picky but not hard to drive.  It's all about synergy.

May 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #731 of 5,248
My D5000 seems to be playing fine out of my computer (no distortion) but only lack some volume...I turned the computer up to the highest level and it is exactly enough but not so strong.
the denons are great headphones for movies and games..rocker,why wouldn't you you an amp or something for these purposes? 
from my experience,they really need a little more than a portable player or any other "unamped" player can give.

May 24, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #733 of 5,248

Quote:
how do I decide on an amp for my ahd-2000's?
thanks

Well the big player in that would be your budget and do you need it to be a portable or can it be a desktop amp?

May 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #734 of 5,248
my budget really depends on what it'll get me. I guess I'll throw out under $200? slightly portable would be nice. enough that i could still use it with my ipod in my bed or something but mostly for desktop use. doesn't need to be like pocketable.

I really just don't know where to even start lol. if someone could throw out some possible options and what i should consider with each when trying to choose thatd be helpful

May 25, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #735 of 5,248

Quote:
My D5000 seems to be playing fine out of my computer (no distortion) but only lack some volume...I turned the computer up to the highest level and it is exactly enough but not so strong.
the denons are great headphones for movies and games..rocker,why wouldn't you you an amp or something for these purposes? 
from my experience,they really need a little more than a portable player or any other "unamped" player can give.

I don't like to unplug my LDI+ and take it room-to-room.  I'm going to see if one of my friends wants to get rid of his NuForce Icon Mobile. Is there another portable amp under 100 that's notable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back