Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #676 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed you had a Hornet. I'm considering buying one and am interested in how the D2000's pair with it. Could you post your thoughts on this combo? Thanks.

As soon as I get a chance to pair them up, I will do so. The Denons are expected to be delivered tomorrow. I will listen to music while I break them in, and after about 50 hours or so of burn in time (not all of which will I be listening to the phone), I'll start listening with the intention of providing my impressions.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #677 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I 100% agree with that
smily_headphones1.gif
. And that's probably the reason why the ed9 and the d7k are my favorites at the moment.

I honestly do both. That's why I own my DT880 and K601 - they are pretty neutral. That's also why I ordered the D2000 and HD650 - the D2000 should sound more fun (compared to the 880 and 601) and more refined than the DT770 I own. The HD650 is supposed to be warmer and less-fatiguing.

Each phone has a purpose.
dt880smile.png

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #678 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
65 bucks for the J$ pads is not the equivalent of paying 200 for the headphones. Most people do not markl mod them.

You can also say, why do so many people with Sennheiser's replace them with cable costing nearly a much (300 bucks!). It's all part of the hobby I suppose.

Yeah,LOL. As long as no one is getting hurt, you're enjoying yourself, and you can afford it, go for it! Gotta keep cash moving in the economy.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #681 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D5000 to my ears are not warm,hd650 is the definition of warm.

Well from the description and reviews i've read over at HeadRoom they describe it as warm and lush.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #682 of 5,248
[size=large]Stock vs Mod
[/size]
normal_smile .gif

OK, finally getting to hear them myself, here's my impressions of my newly modded MD2000 compared with stock (apart from my magnum opus Pretty Polly vs Bad Suzy review, elsewhere here).

I wish I could hear a stock A/B to be sure, but as I recall I loved the bass of the stock but it simply overpowered the mids completely. So I love the modded bass, much tighter and more controlled, and more separation of frequencies.

You feel the deep bass, you hear the higher bass. Still just a bit too bloated for me, but way, WAY better. And still just as fat, fun and funky! Huge improvement for me, because of what they allow the mids and highs to do: be themselves.

Now a critical part: the mids are closer, cleaner, and blow away the stock. This for me is everything, because I listen to Vocal Trance where the beautiful female vocals are supposed to be intimate and breathy, husky, and can so easily be way overpowered by the deep thumping lower bass. Wow! What a difference. Worth doing the mod alone.

The highs, well, I remember them being a bit tinny and harsh in the stock pair, and somewhat rolled off to boot. Now, they're just there. Nothing sparkly or special, they just do what they are supposed to do. Again, if I could EQ it I'd pump down the mid bass to clean it and still keep the POW of the lower bass (if that's possible?), to allow the highs more breathing room. But it's still overall a vast, vast improvement, improvement.

Another thing: the comfort to me is way better. With the fatter pads, the headphones stay on my head better. They don't slip off when I look up or down, or move my head too fast. Really hated that about the stock D2000 and D5000 units. (Mark also tightened my loose mounting screw - nice!).

In addition, and this is important, the stock units caused my ears to actually physically hurt within a short listening time, because they were so close to my ears. I think the air pressure of the driver caused them to have pain. With the fat pads the drivers are farther away, and it doesn't do that anymore. I would not have been able to keep them otherwise. I can't totally tell for sure without an A/B comparison, but I think Mark's claim of a broader soundstage also accomplished by the pad mod is also true. The soundstage is really great with these. I remember them being good, but this great I'm not sure.

For the price Mark is asking, it's totally worth the doing the mod IMHO. Since I got such a great deal on the can, I ask myself, "Is this a $300 set of cans?" And as I think you'll agree, "Heck yeah it is!"

I'm very happy. Yeah, it's boxy, but I get used to it because especially a good quality amp brings out such life and detail in it that almost makes up for it. Again, for the price. Could I get a $600 pair of open cans that sound better? Probably, sure, but then I'd likely sacrifice the bass AND the practicality of the closed design.

Just like my ER-4 - utterly perfect and flawless sound... without the fun, fat bass and groovin' danceability that keeps you rockin'!
dt880smile.png

Now keep in mind, that mine is Mark's rock-bottom basic mod. With wider wood cups, and speciality cables, who knows how good this guy could sound? Maybe the other issues we both have would be dramatically improved.

All I know is listening to the MD2000 with the Mini Millet tube vs straight Nano creates two totally different cans. One AWESOME and one crap. The Millet just WOW HOLY COW ZOWIE AHHHHH HELP ME HANG ON and the Nano, well, shucks.

So I'm curious as to what higher quality modifications could do, though I could never afford it so I'm stopping here.
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #683 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well from the description and reviews i've read over at HeadRoom they describe it as warm and lush.

Maybe because they use their amps?I had headroom micro amp and it is a warm amp so maybe it will make d5000 warm,dunno.
But to my ears,any more treble and they will be considered as a harsh headphone in my books.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #684 of 5,248
Once you get used to D5000's clear treble (which integrates in the sound very well and is actually pretty soft overall) I can indeed describe the sound as 'warm' and 'lush'

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #685 of 5,248
so what's better

D5000 or Ultrasone 900

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #686 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J$ pads are almost a given upgrade plus there's a pair for $55 in the for sale section too. Over the stock pads they have better comfort, better materials, bass was less obnoxious, and made the frequencies more coherent with one another. Anyways it's all opinion so some people will like it and some people wont. For the comfort alone and not having that stock inside foam touch my ear I'd gladly buy another pair if I had to.

Snagged! Thanks for the heads up! I was just short of pulling the trigger on one of the last few at Headroom, but held off because the boosted the price $10 a month or so ago, and I really shouldn't be spending money with my stupid debt. However, since I had some $$$ in my paypal account from selling some inexpensive headphones, and with the lower price, I jumped on this. Plus, it's my birthday tomorrow, so it would be nice to get SOMETHING other than an awesome home cooked meal from the wife, you know? Looking forward to it! I do hope that these will indeed help with fit and evening out the slight harshness in the highs and lows.

*taps foot in impatient expectation*
darthsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #687 of 5,248
Posted in the portable amps forum, but not getting any help or responses. Maybe I'll have better luck here.

Anyways, I just bought a ibasso d10. I am using it with Denon 2000s connected to a mbp via a toslink to optical mini cable. for lack of a better word and description, everything sounds, scratchy and grainy (listening to Kid A). I'm basing this off of having having this only for a few hours, they're probably not burnt in completely (bought these used, but barely used according to seller) but everything sound better with just the headphones themselves. I'm using itunes on my mbp listening to mostly 320kbps mp3s and flac. Oddly enough, the mp3 version of Kid A doesn't sound as bad compared to the flac version. I'm guess I'm using the optical dac because i have the toslink to optical mini connected to the optical port in the back of the d10 and the other end into the headphone/optical audio out port?

Any ideas? I want to use the d10 as both an amp/dac. I'm still not sure completely how the ibasso d10 works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #688 of 5,248
just got this D4 amp with my D2000.

listening to Archangel on Burial's Untrue. it sounds slightly muddy before, now. clear and powerful.

question: should I flip the gain switch UP or DOWN with the D4 Mamba. the d2000 only have 25ohm impedance, so my guess would be they do NOT need the added gain, so down??

EDIT: there seems to be less bass now??

EDIT2: yes, less bass and more highs...this normal?

EDIT3: sorry so many questions but i am just curious, and i know the person above me has a few too, but i am no expert... will I get better sound using the DAC only out of AUD OUT or DAC/AMP combo out of headphone...

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #689 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvanE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got this D4 amp with my D2000.

listening to Archangel on Burial's Untrue. it sounds slightly muddy before, now. clear and powerful.

question: should I flip the gain switch UP or DOWN with the D4 Mamba. the d2000 only have 25ohm impedance, so my guess would be they do NOT need the added gain, so down??

EDIT: there seems to be less bass now??

Hi, I don't know your amp specifically, but I think you should be fine with the low gain unless you don't get enough volume with it (some portable amps' low gain feature is usually for very sensitive IEM's and don't give enough volume for more demanding full size HP's).
about the bass issue,I believe that the gain shouldn't matter at all,but maybe you amp is different design. some people regarding other amps have claimed that they hear differences between the different gain settings,but it can be an illusion of the added volume adding power/punch to the sound,or it can be psycological too.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #690 of 5,248
thank you ^

ooooo it seems to be getting more bass now. maybe just needed to warm up from the delivery truck =)!!!!

listening to the Hyperdub 5 Years album: Flylo and Zomby sounds incredible!

yea i figure if the sound is okay with the gain down, then why put it up? put then again I always heard, oh for the low impedance headphones --- denons --- a gain switch is very useful...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back