Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #661 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok,I changed my mind about the d5000 they are very good.I like everything about them except their recessed mids.vocals are always in the centre of my brain and never try to attack you.any solution to this?will j$ improve this?I don't want their bass to be reduced as I don't find it heavy I just want to cure the beautiful mids and make it forward
frown.gif

May I suggest http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/5-...-files-447089/

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #662 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm I'm appreciating my D2000's very much. I haven't actually tried them direct from a source yet, they sound amazing through my SSMH though. And in a few weeks fingers crossed I would have built my MiniMAX
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm considering building a MiniMax myself after I get done with finals. Could you post your thoughts on the combo after you finish it? Thanks.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #663 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering building a MiniMax myself after I get done with finals. Could you post your thoughts on the combo after you finish it? Thanks.

will do mate, I was gonna do all pics and stuff in the miniMAX thread with impressions of SQ with the denons etc.
And just to say tomb is the man, such a great guy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #664 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night the stud that attach's the earcup to the headband on my d2000's sheared in two, so I need a new stud and nut. I have sent an email to denon asking if they supply them or if I can buy then from some where. Does anyone know if they provide this service or where I can get them from.

Sorry if this has been answered before in this thread but I havent got the time to read through it at the moment.

I have this problem as well. I can't wear the headphones now. Did anyone get a response from Denon? There's no way in hell I'm doing such an ugly mod as that long, protruding screw to fix it.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #665 of 5,248
I just wanted to chime in and let everyone here know that my D2000s still sound fantastic. I've had them since November and I seem to love them more and more each and everyday. I really think I hit the sweet spot with the Keces 151 and Little Dot I+ combo.

When it came down to selling one of my headphones, I sold the Grados. Take that as you will. It's safe to say that these are going to be with me for a very long time.

The only question I have now is ... where do I go from here?

Also, I noticed that people here were talking about the J$ pads. I'd like to think that most people that still have their D2000s, are the ones that got the J$ pads. They sound great and are very comfortable.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #666 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfaced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this problem as well. I can't wear the headphones now. Did anyone get a response from Denon? There's no way in hell I'm doing such an ugly mod as that long, protruding screw to fix it.

I taped out the end and put an entirely different screw in.

Isn't there somewhere you can purchase shorter screws? Or saw off the end of the long screw with a dremel before screwing it in.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #667 of 5,248
Looking at the D-2000 and D-5000's. Just looking at all the specs it seems they have the same components sans the wood. Are the drivers actually different and/or other differences? Has anyone had a chance to BDT (not likely but thought I'd ask) them? Has anyone just been able to AB them and offer as objectively as possible any differences in SQ and timbre?

Just as a side not I use IEM UE11 pro's and my HT speakers are B&W 802D's, HTM1D and 803D's. Would like to come as close to a timber match as possible to these. Do the Denon's even qualify?

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #668 of 5,248
Skylab has a thread comparing the two on here somewhere. There are a bunch of others too. As far as I know the only difference between the two is the wood cups and cable.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #669 of 5,248
I own B&W speakers, as well as the Denon Headphones. I find the B&W's to be just a little bit warmer, but I truly enjoy my Denons. I find my Sennheiser HD580 (same drivers as the now current HD600) to be closer to the B&W midrange. I hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #670 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as a side not I use IEM UE11 pro's and my HT speakers are B&W 802D's, HTM1D and 803D's. Would like to come as close to a timber match as possible to these. Do the Denon's even qualify?

I don't know about matching the IEM or your speakers. The D2000 has a problem with accurate timbre in the midrange due to the midrange frequencies being recessed. I can find examples of recordings where a sax sounds too brassy, a violin is too dull, a banjo that has no body sound, etc. The only way to fix that is with EQ. The physical mods try to get there but don't. If you are willing to EQ with a good parametric digital EQ plugin or have a good outboard parametric EQ or 31+ band graphic EQ you can get the timbre of the D2000 dialed in. I'm in team EQ rather than team markl mod.

I've never heard a D5000 and I only had a brief listen to a full bling LA7000 at a meet. I played my killer Denon tracks on the LA7000 (tracks that demo problems in the Denon sound, timbre problems, midrange suckout). The LA7000 still had them, only much less so. I think I'd still be tempted to EQ the LA7000 sometimes for music where the midrange timbre is more critical.

The Denon does have a full range speaker like fullness in the sound to me. Mainly because of its bass. It's the closest to the speaker like overall tone experience I have gotten from headphones.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #671 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I noticed that people here were talking about the J$ pads, I'd like to think that most people that still have their D2000s, are the ones that got the J$ pads. They sound great and are very comfortable.

I'm not using the J$ pads and I've still got my D2000 (still got my Grado's too
tongue.gif
). I may try the J$ pads at some point. I'm just not feeling the need right now. I also EQ my D2000 and there is the concern that I'd have to tweak my EQ curve if I got the J$ pads and that's a bother I don't feel like dealing with right away.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #672 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not using the J$ pads and I've still got my D2000 (still got my Grado's too
tongue.gif
). I may try the J$ pads at some point. I'm just not feeling the need right now. I also EQ my D2000 and there is the concern that I'd have to tweak my EQ curve if I got the J$ pads and that's a bother I don't feel like dealing with right away.

It's only about sound (which believes me, it does make a difference), but it's also about comfort and fit. They seal better because of the added cushioning. I think I may buy a second pair in the near future in case J$ decides he doesn't want to make them anymore.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #673 of 5,248
J$ pads are almost a given upgrade plus there's a pair for $55 in the for sale section too. Over the stock pads they have better comfort, better materials, bass was less obnoxious, and made the frequencies more coherent with one another. Anyways it's all opinion so some people will like it and some people wont. For the comfort alone and not having that stock inside foam touch my ear I'd gladly buy another pair if I had to.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #674 of 5,248
I have a question: why do so many people buy D2000, etc. and send them in for mods costing as much (if not more than) the actual headphone? Would it make more sense to just spend the amount on getting a higher-level headphone in the first place?

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #675 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question: why do so many people buy D2000, etc. and send them in for mods costing as much (if not more than) the actual headphone? Would it make more sense to just spend the amount on getting a higher-level headphone in the first place?

65 bucks for the J$ pads is not the equivalent of paying 200 for the headphones. Most people do not markl mod them.

You can also say, why do so many people with Sennheiser's replace them with cable costing nearly a much (300 bucks!). It's all part of the hobby I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back