Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #631 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell the difference between 320Kbps MP3s and FLAC, and a LOT of people will tell you the same. It is only noticeable on VERY complex passages of certain songs, and even then takes extensive A/Bing to notice.

As long as it's 256Kbps or better MP3, you will not be able to tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC on a day to day basis (frequently not even DBT'ing), so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A more analytical sounding headphone than the Denon D2000 would make compression artifacts easier to hear. The Denon has a sound signature and sound style that would tend to mask some of those artifacts to some extent.

So if you're worried that your new D2000 will make your MP3 files unlistenable, don't be. The D2000 sounds good even with mp3.

thank you. yes it would have stunk to rerip a lot of music. i didn't know if when i had a decent headphone AMP or DAC with the D2000s I'd be getting the best quality possible already with that combo. that the most immediate change necessary at THAT point would be to upgrade the audio quality to lossless...

that's good to know i think, because i don't think my ears can tell the difference between 320 and wav, i've had people test me on my current ATH-AD700s and no good. i was also curious if it was even worth it to get amps if i'm one of the ones who cannot tell the different between HQ lossy and lossless ---> but an AMP/DAC must truly make a difference i've concluded.

anyone else switched from the ATH-AD700s ---> Denon D2000?? the AD700s have a very LOW bass, so i'm a little worried i'll just be blown out of the water as is. but i do like electronic/hip hop/indie music...

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #632 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvanE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i played 320kbps mp3 from USB into a DAC, would the "limiting reagent" be the compressed quality of the audio tracks at that point?

Nice to see another scientist, if not chemist, is on these boards. I'm an 'organicker' myself.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #633 of 5,248
Quote:

anyone else switched from the ATH-AD700s ---> Denon D2000?? the AD700s have a very LOW bass, so i'm a little worried i'll just be blown out of the water as is. but i do like electronic/hip hop/indie music...

Well I haven't switched as I still have and intend to use my AD700's, but I recently got a pair of D2000 as my second pair of cans. They are very different, I am a big fan of the AD700 and certainly they have a much more expansive sound stage and more forward mids, but the Denons counter that with the big (but I would also say very good quality) bass. The Denons are still running in, and I dont yet have a dedicated amp for them which I believe you need to get the full potential, but I can already see that they will be my first choice for most music listening. Overall they sound great. The AD700's I suspect will be better for movie watching due to the soundstage, and for some styles of music however.

It never hurts to have choices when it comes to cans after all!

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #634 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who puts their D7000's down on a table?

LOL, I agree even though I only have the D2000's.

I think I'll try to find a stand I can use, if only to ease my mind.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #636 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see another scientist, if not chemist, is on these boards. I'm an 'organicker' myself.
biggrin.gif

not formally, unless AP Chemistry counts =). i'm in industrial design actually. still, the phrase "limiting reagent" has stuck with me because I find it useful for very specific types of situations to which it could apply (including its origin: chemical reactions).

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #637 of 5,248
^ Fair enough. A lot of those concepts are applicable in the outside world. I used to have a friend in grad school that was endearingly referred to as 'the RLS' (rate-limiting step) - he was late for everything and generally was the last one ready to head out to the pub, etc.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #638 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello

i have a pair of D2000 but i am now considering upgrading to the d7000 just because i want to hear what "top-tier" headphones sound like

any opinions?

If you can find a suitably affordable purchasing option (approx. $600-650) and as long as you have a good source and amp (despite being of relatively low impedance) for them. Check the FS/FT threads. They are always popping up. Can't wait to be able to do the same, myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #639 of 5,248
just opened and listening to D2000 impressions (straight from Powerbook G4):

the comfort actually did NOT blow me away. they rest kind of heavy on the head i think. i'm used to the uber-comfortable ATH-AD700s it must be with the "wing headbands" that literally float on your head.

the sound: rocking out Autechre/Basement Jaxx so far. the sounds are much more articulate and precise to my ears. the base is NOT too much for my tastes, which is a relief. the sound is perhaps "darker" than my ATH-AD700s, which tend to be very bright. the sound is much more precise tho, exacting even. all the different sounds in Autechre are better created with these D2000s. some are pleasantly (faithfully) reproduced as harsh/abrasive, while some of the softer/sweeter melodic lines take on a kinder lull. beautiful separating and sound. v. impressed.

yea just switched songs and the bass still is fine at the level it is at -- not intense at all.
will a AMP/DAC make the bass more pronounced?

EDIT: on second thought, the bass is pretty large and in charge. depending on the song.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #640 of 5,248
Good to hear. I love Autechre out of my MD5000's as well. ('Oversteps' is a rather enjoyable LP, by Booth and Brown's standards.)

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #641 of 5,248
impression after an hour or two:

already sound better i think. these are quite musical phones. very crisp attacks and crisp bass response too. i dont' find the bass loose at all! what does everyone gripe about?

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #642 of 5,248
Quote:

what does everyone gripe about?

Minutia. This is head-fi after all. Small, sometimes insignificant, differences are night and day.
biggrin.gif

If you listen carefully to deep bass that has texture and detail you can notice the loose bass. Bass will linger longer than it should which will end up masking some of the detail that should be there. The attack on bass notes won't quite have the snap they should. The attacks of notes will sound more rounded rather than they really should.

A proper suitable headphone amp can tighten the bass some on the Denons. A proper amp shouldn't boost the bass, but it may sound like there is more bass because the bass that is there will have more detail and be more clear.

Regarding your comment about the Denon bass changing from song to song. Every song on an album isn't always mixed or mastered with the same EQ settings. Some songs have more bass than others because they've been made that way in the studio. With the Denons I believe there is also some affect on the level of bass due to the Denons recessed midrange. On songs that happen to have a lot of energy or lead guitar/vocal in the frequencies where the Denons are most recessed, that can cause the bass to sound louder or more prominent as a side-effect. With the critical midrange lower than it should be, the other frequencies (lows and highs) get an apparent boost. That affect will vary from song to song because not all songs on an album will have the same amount of midrange energy in the same frequency ranges. When I EQ my D2000 to boost the midrange the bass level tends to stay more consistent. I won't get the feeling that there is too much bass as often. So bass level fluctuations are due to a combination of factors.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #643 of 5,248
Quote:

will a AMP/DAC make the bass more pronounced?

EDIT: on second thought, the bass is pretty large and in charge. depending on the song.

Oh you have no idea of the bass of the denons till you get an amp and dac you will be very surprised.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #644 of 5,248
I must say something...for the 1,000 time maybe
bigsmile_face.gif
I am copletely BLOWN AWAY by my STOCK 5000 right now.
I listen mostly to metal and electronica and my headroom ultra micro stack+D5000 completely blows me away every time. with all the respect to other super high end headphones,I really can't imagine something sound better and more appropriate for my tastes...I really can't,no matter how hard I try. just so you know,I have them for nearly 3 years now.

OOOH...had to realese that, it's good to have such appreciation thread where you can really praise your favourite headphone. thank you!

EDIT: today,listening to a certain track and lying back i felt the bass in my chest. I thought that this can never happen with headphones but I guess it can. the bass wasn't muddy at all and not too overpowering.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #645 of 5,248
loving my d2000s. so clear.

waiting on a 15AC Adapter to try with (semi) bogus Banzai White Jelly (V7), basically a fancy CMOY.

the comfort is already improving. i don't mind the way they feel at all. now when i go back to my ATH-AD700, despite them having a better soundstage, they sound so narrow and scratchy even.

the d2000s are professional-sounding and quite powerful. k i'm done with adjectives =).

anyone know how to solve the warm ear cup problem? luckily tho, they seem to just get warm up to a certain level, never hot. it makes me nervous everytime as they warm up, but then they stop soon after, so they really only get warm...which is good...not too annoying, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back