Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #601 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who the heck said I was using them with an mp3??? ).

I said it as a general remark as response to necrolic's post, didn't mean to offend mate. anyway,not everybody like the denon especially the 5000 which are too bass heavy. anybody that search for a balanced/neutral/correct sound will not like them, only the ones looking for that big "wow" fun sound will. it is a matter of taste evetually and they DO have their flaws no doubt about it. the reasin I like them is because to me their pros are more than their cons and it is worth it.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #602 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point taken,but my amp is not $250 it is $750.
Anyway many people who have a good dac,source,amp also complained about d5000 recessed mids and flappy bass,so as I said you can't cure it's sound characteristic entirely,if there is an effect,it will be small and not 'OMG it is an entirely different headphone!' as I read here,these opinions I instantly dismiss when I read impressions or reviews.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that having a good DAC will improve upon what the D5000 already does right, making everything more detailed and musical, as well as many other changes. Of course it won't completely make it a new headphone, there's not a person out there who will claim that.

The point I was making is this. Amps and DACs will both IMPROVE THE SOUND THAT'S THERE. Neither will change the sound completely, they might increase soundstage, tighten up bass, make things more detailed, etc., but they won't make a laid back headphone forward/neutral or vice versa.

The whole point of my post wasn't to say D5000s will magically become unrecessed with a DAC, it was to say this:

A good DAC will improve upon the sound that exists more than a good amp will in the case of Denons. This is not always the case, but with high sensitivity cans it almost always is. It will not change the sound, merely improve upon what's there.

As for your having a $750 amp, in this case it's essentially the same thing as a $250 one. You are still amplifying what's coming out of a PC/MP3/straight out of a CDP, which generally is crap (except in the case of very expensive CDPs). Without a proper DAC in that line unless you have a VERY expensive CDP you are nowhere near the potential of your headphons.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #603 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you misunderstood me. I meant that having a good DAC will improve upon what the D5000 already does right, making everything more detailed and musical, as well as many other changes. Of course it won't completely make it a new headphone, there's not a person out there who will claim that.

The point I was making is this. Amps and DACs will both IMPROVE THE SOUND THAT'S THERE. Neither will change the sound completely, they might increase soundstage, tighten up bass, make things more detailed, etc., but they won't make a laid back headphone forward/neutral or vice versa.

The whole point of my post wasn't to say D5000s will magically become unrecessed with a DAC, it was to say this:

A good DAC will improve upon the sound that exists more than a good amp will in the case of Denons. This is not always the case, but with high sensitivity cans it almost always is. It will not change the sound, merely improve upon what's there.

As for your having a $750 amp, in this case it's essentially the same thing as a $250 one. You are still amplifying what's coming out of a PC/MP3/straight out of a CDP, which generally is crap (except in the case of very expensive CDPs). Without a proper DAC in that line unless you have a VERY expensive CDP you are nowhere near the potential of your headphons.

I agree with this sooo much
darthsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #604 of 5,248
does anybody have any experience in how to equalize the d 5000 on a mac. I am trying to use audio hijack but can.t quite figure it out. Some of itunes preset choices are good for some music. but it is not what i am after.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #606 of 5,248
i just ordered Denon D2000. very excited especially cuz i love electronic music. can't wait to hear how Autechre's newest "Oversteps" is on these new ones.

can't get here quick enough....now for a good headphone amp...baffling to say the least. there are way too many and it's become such a specialized area of discussion that I just can't keep up with it? anyone recommend a good CHEAP(ish) headphone amp for the Denon D2000s?

i'm looking at someone saying Practical Devices XM4 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/b...d2000s-433048/.

great price area for me. looking to spend up to $150...

EDIT: up to $250-300 haha

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #608 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvanE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just ordered Denon D2000. very excited especially cuz i love electronic music. can't wait to hear how Autechre's newest "Oversteps" is on these new ones.

can't get here quick enough....now for a good headphone amp...baffling to say the least. there are way too many and it's become such a specialized area of discussion that I just can't keep up with it? anyone recommend a good CHEAP(ish) headphone amp for the Denon D2000s?

i'm looking at someone saying Practical Devices XM4 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/b...d2000s-433048/.

great price area for me. looking to spend up to $150...

The Ibasso D4 dac/amp was an excellent pairing with my D5000...wish I wouldn't have sold it. It's out of your price range, but I've seen a few come and go quickly in the FS forum. I sold mine for $180 just to move it fast and it was gone in a day.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #610 of 5,248
iBasso looks pretty sexy.

i don't need it to be portable at all, it's just for home listening. so if there are any LARGE, but better quality headphone amps that'd be perfect. i'll definitely sacrifice size for quality in this case.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #611 of 5,248
I just got my D5000 today. Very impressive so far - and not even close to broken in. Compared with my HD650, they just let the music flow better... very dynamic and open. I'm giving them a few days before making a final judgement, but I'm really please to have given them a try.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #612 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I have said it million times but man I love my D5000 with d10 and Jmoney pads.

how do you think D2000 with d10 and Jmoney pads would sound??

anyone have this combo??

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #613 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvanE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ thanks man. awesome forum here. perfect niche. just this thread is so long, i gotta look back through it...

welcome to head fi man, and welcome to the denon world!
normal_smile .gif

if you are using a your computer for music,why not listening to Hi-rez files?
(wav,flac,alac)...I know that there is an argument about the difference regaring the human hearing, but if you have a lot of space what do you care..? don't compromise.
get a good amp and source and you are set. enjoy!

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #614 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by PIERCE X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone recommend a usb/toslink DAC for my denons ah-d5000/alo amphoria, my limit is $600

welcome to the forum too mate! you can get a lot of information on dac's and amps in the intended forums if oyu want, I can only recommend what I have, it is the headroom ultra micro dac and it is exactly in your budget.
you can check it out of you want.
good luck and enjoy your wonderful cans, they are awsome!
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #615 of 5,248
I haven't seen a definitive answer to this question: Is it redundant to have both the markl mod and the J$ pads on a D2000/5000/7000?

I realize that part of the markl mod increases the padding to space the drivers further away from your ears, while the J$ pads' primary purpose is also to push the drivers further away. Do these mods provide complementary benefits, i.e. optimal increase in soundstage and bass control? Or would it be redundant to get the J$ pads if you already have the markl mods? After a certain level of padding, would an increase in padding just recess the midrange?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done both mods. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back