Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 3, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4,997 of 5,248
The 38$ pads came in  yesterday, pretty pleased with them. They are alot firmer then my old pads, and seal better. I was actually pretty surprised by the sonic differences. As they are a stock mimic. But my old stock pads had been stuffed, and were overly soft, I guess the foam inside lost it's firmness, and they did not really seal right or "sit" right on the head. I thought the new ones would sound the same, just not be falling apart. Was pleasantly surprised.

As for the sonic differences,  little more bass, little more mids, and alot less high's. I could hardly stand to listen to them without EQ before, but the high's are alot more tame now.

These are a winner if your just looking for something affordable that matches the performance of the original pads.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #4,998 of 5,248
The 38$ pads came in  yesterday, pretty pleased with them. They are alot firmer then my old pads, and seal better. I was actually pretty surprised by the sonic differences. As they are a stock mimic. But my old stock pads had been stuffed, and were overly soft, I guess the foam inside lost it's firmness, and they did not really seal right or "sit" right on the head. I thought the new ones would sound the same, just not be falling apart. Was pleasantly surprised.

As for the sonic differences,  little more bass, little more mids, and alot less high's. I could hardly stand to listen to them without EQ before, but the high's are alot more tame now.

These are a winner if your just looking for something affordable that matches the performance of the original pads.

Thanks for reporting back. Mine have *just* started to feel a bit dusty/crumbly so I'm gonna have to take the plunge as well.

I'm wary of messing with the stock sound signature of my D2000s cuz I really like it as-is, but I guess this a necessary evil. And at least it's reassuring to know these new pads won't kill the vibe entirely.

I might even take a chance on one of the $11 pairs, as misguided as that sounds. It's honestly hard to tell the difference between some of those eBay aftermarket pads. Many seem to look the same and use the same terminology in their ads, but I guess maybe some could end up smelling like a tire fire and make the skin on your ears peel, in a worst case scenario... :wink:

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #4,999 of 5,248
Hello Denon people

I've recently acquired a pair of Denon D2Ks which I found pretty damn nice, I then added a lawton tune up kit and their angled earpads, and now I've completely fallen in love with these headphones.

Therefore I'd like to give them some love in the shape of new detachable cables, as the stock cable is just not all that nice, I've seen in this post that some people have equipped them with Hifiman connectors and cables, and also a post with HD800 cables - and then again some with mini-XLR. - What would people say is the best solution cost/ease-of-installation wise? I haven't been able to find any guides to specific parts needed and how to do the installation, but only pictures of finished products. I live in Europe so parts that are more easily obtainable here are preferred. 
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Bonus question: Has anyone got any experience with changing the headband - I don't really like it that much and would prefer something with two spring steel bars and suspended fabric/leather like Ether Flow, Fidelio and the like. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #5,000 of 5,248
  Hello Denon people

I've recently acquired a pair of Denon D2Ks which I found pretty damn nice, I then added a lawton tune up kit and their angled earpads, and now I've completely fallen in love with these headphones.

Therefore I'd like to give them some love in the shape of new detachable cables, as the stock cable is just not all that nice, I've seen in this post that some people have equipped them with Hifiman connectors and cables, and also a post with HD800 cables - and then again some with mini-XLR. - What would people say is the best solution cost/ease-of-installation wise? I haven't been able to find any guides to specific parts needed and how to do the installation, but only pictures of finished products. I live in Europe so parts that are more easily obtainable here are preferred. 
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Bonus question: Has anyone got any experience with changing the headband - I don't really like it that much and would prefer something with two spring steel bars and suspended fabric/leather like Ether Flow, Fidelio and the like. 

Congrats - I LOVE the Denon sound - have both the D2000 and LA7000. 

You can ask member Peterek (think that's the spelling) about the mod - he does it and has a great reputation but I realize you are in Europe and may not want to ship over to the US.  He may be able to steer you towards the parts needed. 

Headband - I added a Sennheiser HD650 pad to the underside of my LA7000 with double stick tape (no, it actually looks good) and it helped with the comfort.  I too prefer suspension headband styles myself but not sure how to pull that off with a Denon. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #5,001 of 5,248
Congrats - I LOVE the Denon sound - have both the D2000 and LA7000. 

You can ask member Peterek (think that's the spelling) about the mod - he does it and has a great reputation but I realize you are in Europe and may not want to ship over to the US.  He may be able to steer you towards the parts needed. 

Headband - I added a Sennheiser HD650 pad to the underside of my LA7000 with double stick tape (no, it actually looks good) and it helped with the comfort.  I too prefer suspension headband styles myself but not sure how to pull that off with a Denon. 

Ha Ha Oregonian : always fast to help newbies with Denon fallers in love ! :D
(I remember...) :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5,002 of 5,248
Hi,

Not very active on this forum usually, more of a lurker. Just wanted to say that I have joined the Denon club 
normal_smile .gif

Picked these D5000 up a couple hours ago. Got them for 1800 SEK (200 bucks that is), bought them immediately when I saw them, thought "well those are legendary and if i don't like them I can sell them for twice the price". They're on my head now, nearly perfect condition, not used much and nooooooooo I'm not selling them! Bin on the look out for hiphop/pop/electronic cans for a while since myotherwise beloved HD650 doesn't really shine in that department. Denon gets the job 
L3000.gif

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/1aYmgsf.jpg 

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #5,004 of 5,248
Hi,

Not very active on this forum usually, more of a lurker. Just wanted to say that I have joined the Denon club 
normal_smile%20.gif
l

Congrats. And I get where you are coming from with the HD650. The Denon's are are quite satisfying in the lower-end and highs. Not to say it isn't worthwhile to listen to those genres on the 650 - as they still bring their own qualities. They are great pairing.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #5,005 of 5,248

1. find a wide, flat rubber band, place it on the screw head, push down as hard as you can with the screwdriver and try unscrewing.
2. try and find a flathead screwdriver that would fit exactly right in the screwhead, and try using that.
3. fit the plastic part of the headband into a vice (very carefully) make sure to pad the edges with something. get a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, try fashioning a slit in the screwhead that you could use with a flat screwdriver. practice great caution and if you feel the plastic may break - stop and give up, you dont want to make the damage any worse. ive only ever done this with sturdy amps and tough industrial speakers. never on a delicate kinda vintage headphone. 
4. find someone with one of these (dont know the name of the thing in english) and see if he cant help you.

if the internet doesnt help, take one screw with you to show as an example and go to a hardware store. if they dont have it, see if they cant point you in the direction of a retailer or something, or anyone else who might. if theres an industrial area anywhere around you, chances are it may have one of those retailers who has everything, and will make you buy 50 cause he only deals in bulk...

Needed this! I've got a AH D100 that I need to restore with the orignal Headband and pads, this'll b helpful!! 

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #5,006 of 5,248
Just following up after receiving my own pair of $38 pads from eBay.  My stock pads are still in pretty good shape--just barely starting to flake in certain areas--so I've got a pretty good idea of what the OG vibe is all about.

All told, these are good replacements.  They don't mess with the D2000 signature much at all.  There's maybe just a touch less bloat in the bass which allows the mids to breathe a little more--guitars are sounding a tiny bit sweeter to my ears.  The treble seems largely unaffected--which is fine by me as I like the detail in these cans and never found the highs too hyped or sibilant in their stock configuration.

The build quality feels right.  They're not finished quite as well as the stock pads but they're not far off.  They're noticeably stiffer and the "protein leather" feels less like fine synthetic calf skin, so overall you lose a bit of the billowy softness of the originals but they're still comfortable.  I also noticed the thinner/frontside of the pads are a bit less thick than the OEM pads, which might be enough to account for the minor reduction in bloat I'm hearing. 

So yes, I can recommend these to people with disintegrating pads who are looking to maintain the stock Denon sound.  They do the job and are fair value for the asking price.  (That said, I can still only assume these are worth buying over the $10 options out there--for all I know I paid $30 more for a nicer cardboard box!)

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #5,008 of 5,248
  Is there a consensus on what the best replacement pads are?

I've always preffered LawtonAudio Pads for a more balanced sound, and Alpha Pads for a Darker/dryer Bassier sound 

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #5,009 of 5,248
Really fond of comments like this. I look back on my time with the D2000s and realize that they did change changed my music experience. 

Quote:
Best valued phones available! I loved the D2000 so much, that I had to buy the D5000 to see what all the fuss was about... Sure glad I did!

What I feel they did so well was interject COLOR into the music. They did so to the point where they destroyed my confidence in analytic headphones as they robbed from the music.

IMHO the character of the Denon D2000/5000 added such a nice quality in music, they achieved what more technical cans couldn't do explicity, they added enjoyment to the experience. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #5,010 of 5,248
Can very much agree - the D2000 holds a special place in my heart, and if they still made it, even without any engineering improvements or driver advancements, I'd still recommend it to anyone at a ~$300 price point.

The D5000 felt a little too harsh, and too much quantitatively that took away from the subtle feeling of extra texture the D2000 offers, but bear in mind that the one I used to own was an LA Stage 1-modified D5000 from pre-2012, so it was before the driver revision also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back