Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #3,721 of 5,248

I'll trust you on this, although I have a bad taste in my mouth based on my dislike of the HE-400.

I might have to look into the HE-4... If I need rumble like that, I can always switch to my D2k with deep Cocobolo Rosewood cups.. Once cCasper TFG finishes recabling em and ships em to me. I can't wait to get those in my hands! But the HE-4 sounds promising and I DO want a planar open back can. The HE-500 was an all around disappointment for me..

Check out the HE 4 vs HE 500 and HE 400 threads, ideally the HE 4 is the DT 880 with the addition of linear Bass Response and an overall more tactile sound. 

May 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3,722 of 5,248
  hello....

i need some advice from fellow denon d2000 users...
i've been using grado sr60 for many many years now... i'm going to upgrade, and my clear choice goes to shure 940 initially. but after reading some more and found out that everybody and their dogs and their dog's friends have issues about the headbands... i'm starting to look at other options as well...

for many reasons, my current situations will only allow me to have 1 pair of headphones for the foreseeable future. and this headphone will most likely be my only source of entertainment for the next 3 to 4 years (no TV no Games no Bluray, just this headphones / my old grado SR60 / and an audio player).

so this 1 headphone, i'm going to use this 1 headphone for a very long time. at the very minimum 3 and a half years, bordering 4 years.

so my consideration only comes to 2 things,
A) it has to be an upgrade in sound compared to my grado sr60
B) it have to last long (which i initially thought was a non-issue because of my daily-beaten yet still very much alive grado)

the headphones will be used specifically for these genres... (female vocals / indie folk / jazz / accoustics / strings). I've got an offer locally for a Denon D2000 for ~$410... but from the little i read about it, the D2000 is described as good with bass, but for everything else, the new D600 is an improvement. The D600 where i live is ~$470...

i can't really audition for it, so im relying on you guys fellow users... is Denon D2000 / D600 good for specifically the genres i listed...?
which one is better (considering the asking price as well....)

cheers...

Hey,

The music genres you described do remind me of a grado rather than a Denon. How do you like your sr60? If you are not looking for a change, the higher end grado's do sound noticeably better than the entry level sr60. You get more resolution and refinement, and soundstage (Yes! Small but there is finally 3D sound not 2D!).

If you are looking for something that sounds more polite, AKG makes very good headphones in your budget - the 701s and 601s, but they would like an amp. Another always good suggestion is the Sennheiser HD600 (the HD650 is darker sounding and I would prefer the 600 esp based on your listed genres). Both the AKG and Sennheiser would like an amp, but if you have $400+ to spend then you are good.

Otherwise if you must have a closed headphone then a Denon or even some Wooden back Audio Technica (especially the female vocals on these) are great. They are more forgiving with amping requirements.

Then portable you have the usual suspects to consider: HD25, DT1350, a M80 or M100 from Vmoda, some audio technica ES series... Give us more information!

May 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #3,724 of 5,248
I removed the stock fiberloft foam crap from my D2K today (I left it in and just added the dynamat initially) and the sound stage is much better now. The treble is a little sharper, almost sibilant sounding now.. I need to try a couple more things to achieve the larger sound stage but also reduce the sibilance in the treble.

May 21, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #3,725 of 5,248
  I removed the stock fiberloft foam crap from my D2K today (I left it in and just added the dynamat initially) and the sound stage is much better now. The treble is a little sharper, almost sibilant sounding now.. I need to try a couple more things to achieve the larger sound stage but also reduce the sibilance in the treble.

What kind of Dynamat did you use? The X-treme stuff has the silver coating that reflects the high frequencies back at your ears. You want to add weight to the cup without creating a reflection of the sound waves.

May 21, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3,726 of 5,248

What is this? Can you elaborate? I'm not aware of any foam in my D2000.

May 21, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #3,728 of 5,248
  Mine had this in the cups (one in each) when I got them. The person before me claimed they were stock. Do they not come with this normally? 

Ah, I think stocks do have that. Mine was dynamat modded by the previous owner, so it didn't have that when I opened it up.
(I since removed the dynamat because it was making the highs harsh)

I saw a video, and yes, stock has that little piece of foam.

May 21, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #3,729 of 5,248
Ok good, I was worried I was giving impressions and comparisons of an altered headphone this whole time. HAHA

I might have to find some cloth to put over the top of the dynamat then. I don't want the foam crap in there anymore, fogging up the air and my sound stage.

May 21, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #3,730 of 5,248
  Ok good, I was worried I was giving impressions and comparisons of an altered headphone this whole time. HAHA

I might have to find some cloth to put over the top of the dynamat then. I don't want the foam crap in there anymore, fogging up the air and my sound stage.

Yea, I mean, that's why I removed the dynamat from mine. They sounded better without it, because the highs were sharp. Mine did have a silver coating on it, so maybe that was the problem all along. I never thought of it.

May 21, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #3,731 of 5,248
Maybe turn the dynamat upside down, stick it down with double-sided tape and put some fabric on the sticky side? Idk just a thought.

May 21, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #3,733 of 5,248
I'm guessing it's supposed to damp the backwave and stop it reflecting back out the front and interfering with the primary sound waves

May 21, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3,734 of 5,248
I'm not going for weight, I just did it to see what it did to the sound initially. It just doesn't sound as flabby with it, that's why I keep it in. I just need to turn down the treble a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back