Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #3,466 of 5,248
  Strangely I prefer the looks of the stock cups 
tongue.gif

Anyone with me?

Personally, I am pretty fond of the stock wood cups and just looking at them makes me feel like sitting back and unwinding. Then again I am also pretty fond of the warm and intimate stock sound as well.

Yeah, I bought someone's old D5000 cups for my D2000 and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,467 of 5,248

Finally..............the long journey from Europe to Mshenay is almost complete.  Can't wait to hear your impressions bud.

Bro... BRO! I told you I got them like 2 months ago [or maybe a month ago] either way I had them for a month then I paid for the mods and sent them away again 

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3,468 of 5,248

Dude, I know and remember that. What I'm saying is after this long wait, you still have not heard them properly, and it's been months! The month you had them you said the wiring was wrong.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,469 of 5,248
I know this has been probably asked/discussed/asked many times, sorry I am gonna ask this simple question.

The main change from the stock cups to wooden cups is for looks and/or for sound improvement? I am talking about the d2k in particular. If for sound improvement, what is the main improvement? Thanks

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #3,470 of 5,248

I just love the stock cup's more understated appeal with the subtle gold prints on it. The aftermarket cups just shows-off that wooden grain too much and doesn't feel as 'connected' to the rest of the headphone, if you get what I mean.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,471 of 5,248
  I know this has been probably asked/discussed/asked many times, sorry I am gonna ask this simple question.

The main change from the stock cups to wooden cups is for looks and/or for sound improvement? I am talking about the d2k in particular. If for sound improvement, what is the main improvement? Thanks

id like to join the question, and add one - once one has switched out the stock d2k cups for wooden ones, does one also dampen them?

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #3,472 of 5,248
Probably depends on what kind of sound you want in your headphones. I'm guessing that if you want the same rock solid bass that the D2000s have you will have to damp the insides of the wooden cups.

Personally I liked how the wood was able to warm up the sound, but I still think that the D2000 stock cups had better soundstage and air than the D5000 cups. I miss the bass a bit as well, but I found the D2000 treble too piercing for long listening sessions so I like that I don't have to put up with that aspect of them any more. I'd say that the D5000 cups produce a more natural sound overall but the D2000s might have had more detail.

Not sure if the larger third party cups might help with bringing about more air.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #3,473 of 5,248
Probably depends on what kind of sound you want in your headphones. I'm guessing that if you want the same rock solid bass that the D2000s have you will have to damp the insides of the wooden cups.

Personally I liked how the wood was able to warm up the sound, but I still think that the D2000 stock cups had better soundstage and air than the D5000 cups. I miss the bass a bit as well, but I found the D2000 treble too piercing for long listening sessions so I like that I don't have to put up with that aspect of them any more. I'd say that the D5000 cups produce a more natural sound overall but the D2000s might have had more detail.

Not sure if the larger third party cups might help with bringing about more air.

The wood cups in my experience definitely need damping. My extra deep pair from Martin Custom Audio were boomy till I did the Dynamat damping and it made a big difference.

Wood is reputed to add something to the sound.........in reality I'm not 100% sure it's significant but the aesthetic appeal surely is there. Instrument makers use Tonewoods so folks with better hearing than I probably do so for a reason. It's a science forum debate on sound.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #3,474 of 5,248
Thanks for all your feedbacks on the cups.

I have a strong feeling the wooden cups will not be my cup of tea. I do prefer the wooden looks (probably less weight too) but any further warmer sound or even slightly boomy sound will be downgrading for my taste.

I enjoy the sound from the stock cups, except the d2k is not the most suitable for classical music.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3,475 of 5,248
Personally, I think that the wood chosen for the series D5k and D7k is really hard rocking best wood.

I did read somewhere on the net that they were made by 100% mahogany redwood with production procedure strictly respected from wood dry up to number of treatment layers. And we don't need to talk about woodcraft quality. 

So to me, the wood cups modded will be for:
D2000: the look + tunning up some tones in sound quality (need to tune your self with your ear)
L3000.gif

D5000: the look only
D7000: the look only - At this state, i dont really prefer the original D7k cups than the D5k's one, the D5000's cups look better and more serious with their high classy material painted in matte. And the way Denon print the reference on the cups looks more beautiful to me.
popcorn.gif

Edit: I've read also in some forums of guitar makers and what i head is: between tonewoods, some will make sound more clear, some will help you in bass ... etc, so I can resume that the choice of wood will depend purely on how you are looking to improve your headphone, bass, mid range, ... etc or at least, your goût of color 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,476 of 5,248
thanks for the responses. i actually got the d2k rather than the d5k because i knew id tinker with it and spend more money than the actual purchase. my alpha pads should be in my PO box (im going to pick them up soon) and so im thinking of the next step... still havent decided if im going to get wooden cups or not... perhaps ill start with some damping material first... what does this do btw? im given to understand it tightens up the bass, making the decay faster and so, supposedly, more accurate. is that about right? 

oh and btw, can anyone tell me how much wooden cups go for? lawton has them for like, 300$. isnt there anywhere to get them for cheeper? (other than the fs forum)

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,478 of 5,248
wow these alpha pads are comfy! i definitely detect some effect on the bass but im not sure if its the pads, or the better clamp they create... oh well, i guess thats kinda the same thing isnt it... but theyre the most comfortable pads ive tried for sure! even with the super comfy dt 770s, my ears still touch the inside of the cups. theres some cushioning material inside so its still comfy, but the alpha pads make sure theres no contact between ear and driver whatsoever - this is awesome!

edit: i switched the pads with ease and was rather proud of myself for doing it so quickly. i went on my merry way listening to my music and evaluating the changes in sound until i decided it was time for some coffee. when i came back, i noticed that the "arms" shall we call it of the white plastic ring werent all in. two of them (on the left cup) were loose. so i tried taking the ring out and readjusting. took my the better part of 15 minuets to get it right, bloody song and a dance... 

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3,479 of 5,248
  thanks for the responses. i actually got the d2k rather than the d5k because i knew id tinker with it and spend more money than the actual purchase. my alpha pads should be in my PO box (im going to pick them up soon) and so im thinking of the next step... still havent decided if im going to get wooden cups or not... perhaps ill start with some damping material first... what does this do btw? im given to understand it tightens up the bass, making the decay faster and so, supposedly, more accurate. is that about right? 

oh and btw, can anyone tell me how much wooden cups go for? lawton has them for like, 300$. isnt there anywhere to get them for cheeper? (other than the fs forum)

Congrats on your Alpha pads adventure - good work. 

Damping is done with Dynamat lining the cup edges and bottom to tighten up the bass.  It is well worth doing in my opinion.  I've tried two Denon's before and after damping and I'd never go without it again. 

Martin Custom does them for around $200 for standard depth and does a beautiful job.  Mine are extra deep but you get the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back