Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,331 of 5,248
I am enjoying my D2k atm with all of my Dub Step, yesterday how ever I was listening to some Nu Jazz... FreeTempo I think, with my DT 880 balanced. I plugged in the D2k hoping to get the same song with a touch more bass... what I got was a mess... <.< Yea with EDM the D2k is killin the DT 880, but outside of EDM it's gettign slaughtered lol

hoping the modding will help with that! in the nuJazz tune the dt 880 was SO much more spacious and coherently laid out, the D2k literally sounded like a conjested and flabby mess compared to the DT 880, an unfair comparison though, as the Balanced Out of the NFb10ES2 is better than the SE, not to mention the Pin out on my D2k is wrong so I still don't know how that is affecting the sound stage... 

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #3,333 of 5,248
I got my Alpha Pads in the mail today. These things were a pain to get on my D2K. The sound is a little different now, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. 
I have an industrial piercing in my left ear and the Alphas put more pressure on that, so they're actually not as comfortable to me as the stockers. Maybe after some breaking in that would get better. 

I also wasn't impressed with the packaging they came in. It was just a white bag from the post office, and inside that were the pads in a ziplock bag. Idk, I expected a little more protection than that.

EDIT: I decided I like the change in sound. I put the stockers back on to listen to a couple songs and then put the Alphas BACK ON and listened to those same songs and liked the difference. The bass sounds nicer with the Alphas, I think they seal a little better than the stockers.
With the stockers I had the headband set as small as it could go, but with the Alphas I have to have it set at one click on both sides, and it's still tighter than they were with none and the stock pads. Nice! I hated that my headphones were always trying to fall off my head, now that problem is gone.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,334 of 5,248
I went back and forth between my old J-Money, Lawton angled, and the Alpha pads.  I finally decided on the Alphas.  If anything it was simply because they were cheaper, and with the success of the Mr. Speaker products, they appear to be widely available for the next few years.  I have a couple of spare sets now, as I also own a pair of Mad Dogs, and I wanted to keep some extras around.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,335 of 5,248
I really hate my camera on my HTC One. It does this blue tiger stripe crap, but the iPhone 5 in the picture takes terrible pictures too. Meh, here are some pics of the new Alpha Pads on my D2K along with a new portable cable I made. 3.5' long :)

You guys are going to be bombarded once I get my SLR camera. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,338 of 5,248
  Thanks!

SO why did you go with balanced mini XLRs then terminate with a 3.5mm? Seems easier to just make it dual 3.5mm since your using it SE anyways. Either way it does look nice 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,339 of 5,248
  SO why did you go with balanced mini XLRs then terminate with a 3.5mm? Seems easier to just make it dual 3.5mm since your using it SE anyways. Either way it does look nice 

It was purely aesthetic. Someone here suggested pigtails when I was talking about putting SMC connectors on them, and then I ended up going that route. I still like the idea of the SMC connectors on the headphones, not pigtails. I like the way the XLRs lock too.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,341 of 5,248
Jan 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,343 of 5,248
  Ha I saw that classified, I didn't realize it was his, but yeah that price is LA7000 territory, not 5000.

I don't think he read our rules to carefully

DO NOT SELL FOR PROFIT, or maybe [gawd forbid] that's actually what he paid for it WAY back in teh day... I can imagine him paying $500 for a NEW D5k then another $500 for the LA Mods... chances are he's trying to break 100% even, but I also do not see that add up there any moar :O 

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #3,344 of 5,248
  I don't think he read our rules to carefully

DO NOT SELL FOR PROFIT, or maybe [gawd forbid] that's actually what he paid for it WAY back in teh day... I can imagine him paying $500 for a NEW D5k then another $500 for the LA Mods... chances are he's trying to break 100% even, but I also do not see that add up there any moar :O 

There could be value for being a rare product (esp in AU), and other margins for people to bargain (which they would). Either way, if we aren't buying, why judge? :D

He can let them sit at the FS forum for months, or get them sold real quick!

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #3,345 of 5,248
@Oregonian you should try the Kenwood KH-K1000 if you ever see them for sale, I think you would really enjoy them. Not quite as bass oriented as my D7K, but spectacular midrange and sound stage, they remind me of a cross between the W1000x and the D5K. Alpha pads of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back