Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,316 of 5,248
  Question...if I didn't really care for the sound of the original D2000, is it worth it to go forward with a Lawton Mod? Does the tuning change and wood cups change the sound THAT much (I won't bother with the cable change)?

The D2000 really isn't my thing at all. The bass is deep, but too loose, the mids are too recessed and the highs are annoyingly sibilant. It's never a pleasant experience with them. I bought them awhile ago (they were my first real high end headphone) and just debating selling them or trying to salvage them.

wow yea maybe it is, I only have the Wood Cups on my D2k but the mids are pleasent and the highs are a touch smoother... but this is from a guy who used the DT 990 as an EVERYTHING can for a year so... 

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3,317 of 5,248
Question...if I didn't really care for the sound of the original D2000, is it worth it to go forward with a Lawton Mod? Does the tuning change and wood cups change the sound THAT much (I won't bother with the cable change)?

The D2000 really isn't my thing at all. The bass is deep, but too loose, the mids are too recessed and the highs are annoyingly sibilant. It's never a pleasant experience with them. I bought them awhile ago (they were my first real high end headphone) and just debating selling them or trying to salvage them.

I tried my D7000 stock for a week, not impressive, sent to Lawton. After return it was a completely different and amazing improvement.

Now, true, that is a D7000 but there's not that much delta. Also I'm not bothered or better yet I don't hear shrill treble (many people feel the Pro900 is shrill and I never heard that). I'm 52 and probably have holes in my hearing so that may help.........

For real the bass will be way tighter after mods. But if you don't even like the D2000 (rare by the way) maybe it's not for you.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #3,318 of 5,248
I tried my D7000 stock for a week, not impressive, sent to Lawton. After return it was a completely different and amazing improvement.

Now, true, that is a D7000 but there's not that much delta. Also I'm not bothered or better yet I don't hear shrill treble (many people feel the Pro900 is shrill and I never heard that). I'm 52 and probably have holes in my hearing so that may help.........

For real the bass will be way tighter after mods. But if you don't even like the D2000 (rare by the way) maybe it's not for you.

What other headphones ahve you listening to in the past, many of the HE 400 guys had D2k's previously and could NOT go back to the D2k after the HE 400 [I did the reverse it seems lol traded my he 400 for a D2k]

either way Oregonia it'll still have the same... IMPACT right. It should just be quicker after the mods... and I do not want to do the mods my self, I did my w1000x mods right but wrong xD I removed some of my w1000x overall bass quanity, and improved the quality... oppsie. Now i like my W1000x without that bass hump, but either way it should be better

it's going to be about $250 for the Recable and the Partial Mark L Mods... YAY Saving MONEY, Brians doing the reCable and Mark L will install his pads and do a partial Lvl 1 

Oh u guys need some pics dont u 

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,319 of 5,248

Actually just A-B'd a stock D7000 vs my modded today at the DC meet. I preferred my modded, the stock owner preferred his stock. His criticism was the modded version made the mids recessed. Don't know if you want to mess with the cups/drivers but I think a change to j$ or angle pads over the stock is a definite improvement imo.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #3,320 of 5,248
Actually just A-B'd a stock D7000 vs my modded today at the DC meet. I preferred my modded, the stock owner preferred his stock. His criticism was the modded version made the mids recessed. Don't know if you want to mess with the cups/drivers but I think a change to j$ or angle pads over the stock is a definite improvement imo.

That's a very good point. The same happens to the D5000 when it gets modded, I personally prefer the modded version since if I was in the mood for beautiful mids I'd just put on my HD650 instead.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3,321 of 5,248

On my D7000 (full Lawton damping) I've tried stock pads, stock stuffed with extra fiber loft, Alpha, J$ and now Lawton angle. Prefer the Lawton angled pads slightly over Alpha. Mids are just fine to me on either combo.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3,322 of 5,248
  What other headphones ahve you listening to in the past, many of the HE 400 guys had D2k's previously and could NOT go back to the D2k after the HE 400 [I did the reverse it seems lol traded my he 400 for a D2k]

either way Oregonia it'll still have the same... IMPACT right. It should just be quicker after the mods... and I do not want to do the mods my self, I did my w1000x mods right but wrong xD I removed some of my w1000x overall bass quanity, and improved the quality... oppsie. Now i like my W1000x without that bass hump, but either way it should be better

it's going to be about $250 for the Recable and the Partial Mark L Mods... YAY Saving MONEY, Brians doing the reCable and Mark L will install his pads and do a partial Lvl 1 

Oh u guys need some pics dont u 

Dude go detachable! It's so nice being able to go between my stock cable and my 4 foot Mogami. And if I ever want to try a hybrid cable or some other kind of wire...I CAN. and cheaply too. I can just throw some Mini XLRs on the cable and I'm set! 

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #3,323 of 5,248
It is odd that anyone would claim the stock version of any Denon Dxxxx headphones would have more recessed mids after being modded.  If anything, the damping makes the headphones a bit more neutral sounding.  There is still a v-shaped sound signature, but not quite as much, which should make the mids appear more pronounced after modding.  That was my experience, anyway.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3,324 of 5,248
  It is odd that anyone would claim the stock version of any Denon Dxxxx headphones would have more recessed mids after being modded.  If anything, the damping makes the headphones a bit more neutral sounding.  There is still a v-shaped sound signature, but not quite as much, which should make the mids appear more pronounced after modding.  That was my experience, anyway.

Same here, better balance and mids for sure.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,325 of 5,248
Anyone looking for a D2000 should be clicking this link........$260 is the best price I've seen.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700753/denon-d2000

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,326 of 5,248
Anyone looking for a D2000 should be clicking this link........$260 is the best price I've seen.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700753/denon-d2000

Looks about right. Remember, paypal and shipping not included, so figure around $300 or by the time the details get ironed out. Around $300 total is what I see them regularly go for. I also see the seller had to drop the price twice.

One of these days, I will get around to listing mine. As stated, I don't particularly like them, but they have sentimental value...Back when the idea of paying $200+ for a headphone was taboo.

*sigh* To Lawton mod or not to Lawon mod...

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #3,328 of 5,248
I just sold mine for ~$230 shipped. The price for the pair listed above is a little high, IMO, for 8/10 condition

Wow..........that is cheap! I watch the for sale boards and usually the ask price is $300. Never near that low. Someone got a deal! :beerchug:

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3,329 of 5,248

Looks about right. Remember, paypal and shipping not included, so figure around $300 or by the time the details get ironed out. Around $300 total is what I see them regularly go for. I also see the seller had to drop the price twice.

One of these days, I will get around to listing mine. As stated, I don't particularly like them, but they have sentimental value...Back when the idea of paying $200+ for a headphone was taboo.

*sigh* To Lawton mod or not to Lawon mod...

If you don't like them I wouldn't Mod them... 

how ever I'm enjoying mine unModded for about another month or so! My Mod Purchases for the month got delayed sadly, till Febuary! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back