Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,167 of 5,248
anyone using these with virtual surround (eg. dolby headphone) for watching movies?

i find the D2000 great for movies, and just wondering whether it's worth adding virtual surround "to the mix" (HA!). with the awesome sub-bass and good soundstage for closed headphones, i would think these would work great...but i've never actually tried virtual surround myself...

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #3,170 of 5,248
There are probably amps that put out Dolby digital 5.1 for less than the $129 the MixAmp will cost you, but if you're a gamer, you can't get much better than the MixAmp, IMO. This is my 2nd MixAmp and 2nd A40 headset, I sold my 2009 set to upgrade to the newer 2012 set (when that was the latest revision)

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,171 of 5,248
  There are probably amps that put out Dolby digital 5.1 for less than the $129 the MixAmp will cost you, but if you're a gamer, you can't get much better than the MixAmp, IMO. This is my 2nd MixAmp and 2nd A40 headset, I sold my 2009 set to upgrade to the newer 2012 set (when that was the latest revision)

not really a gamer (play games, but mainly platformers and such...positional audio not important). so this would be purely for watching movies.

i just realised the MixAmp needs optical input to accept multi-channel input (only works in stereo over USB). i don't actually have a soundcard in my HTPC (i use HDMI to the TV/HT, or fiio e17 to headphones...neither of which can output multi-channel over optical out). so i'd need to get a new usb soundcard to use the mixamp, or find a usb soundcard that does dolby headphone like the mixamp.

will look into it! cheers.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #3,172 of 5,248
  Holy crap, there's a D7000 in the classifieds for $650. He claims it to be MINT, so that price is awesome. I wish I had the extra coin.

Nice, there is a mint pair of D7ks that where sold by another Head Fi member a few months ago, they had a fair amount of work and where blitzkreiged for $650, that may be the very same pair selling for 100% of the purchase price [I tip my hat to him if he is indeed selling for what he paid] 

That said my D2k ought to have been here like next week but... Martin keeps running into problems -.- I'm hoping he can lower his price a little assuming all the delays on his end. I'd like to be able to recommend him, the wood work is phenomial but thus far the communication is sub par... and I also work 2 jobs. 3rd Walmart and second shift PC Repair, so... I don't take kindly to the "too busy to communicate" excuse. 

Ehm,

That said, I'll have to live with Stock pads and no Cup Dampen mod for a month or so, the money I had for mods went to some stuff for my pc :/

but It's most likely best to live with it 2-3 weeks stock [+wood cup] before I start modding it :3 

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,173 of 5,248
At this point you should just consider doing the dampening yourself man. There are templates for it here on headfi for the dynamat, and it's really easy. It could cost you $20 to do yourself and who knows how much for someone else to do it.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3,174 of 5,248
At this point you should just consider doing the dampening yourself man. There are templates for it here on headfi for the dynamat, and it's really easy. It could cost you $20 to do yourself and who knows how much for someone else to do it.

Oh yea, I'm not going to PAY some one to dampen it, it's $30 for MarkL DIy mod kit so I'm going that route. But I'm going to wait at least a few weeks, I want to just enjoy them at this point. Having waited like well literally almost 8 weeks for them :/ 

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3,175 of 5,248
  Oh yea, I'm not going to PAY some one to dampen it, it's $30 for MarkL DIy mod kit so I'm going that route. But I'm going to wait at least a few weeks, I want to just enjoy them at this point. Having waited like well literally almost 8 weeks for them :/ 

Great idea, and I think the best way to go.  I too was going to dampen my D2000 after Martin's cups were done.................after listening to them for a month on and off, nope. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #3,176 of 5,248
Great idea, and I think the best way to go.  I too was going to dampen my D2000 after Martin's cups were done.................after listening to them for a month on and off, nope. 

Im still confident ill do the driver mods but I doubt ill do the cups

Ill get alphas to when i go to do le mods

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3,178 of 5,248
  Give us some of your impression of the cans so far, been looking forward to hearing from you

Pff it'll be another week before I get them -.-

Martin won't be able to ship em till the First of the year, which is about a week away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back