Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #121 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as cables go, I'm deciding between any of the Moon Audio offerings and the APS V3. The Jena Labs cable is simply far too expensive for me. Which of these cables do you think suit the D5K sound best (by that I mean help fix the obvious flaws such as uncontrolled bass).

What about D7000 recabling?

I have D2000 with markl mod and D7000 recabled. Mark just sent me a pair of his custom cups in the mail yesterday. Can't wait for them to arrive. I went for Kalentus Cedar wood type.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #122 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosgis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about D7000 recabling?

I have D2000 with markl mod and D7000 recabled. Mark just sent me a pair of his custom cups in the mail yesterday. Can't wait for them to arrive. I went for Kalentus Cedar wood type.

D7000 cable is indentical to the D5000, just the outside of it is more flexible. The componentry that effects sound is the same.

It seems like not a lot of people have heard D2K/D5K with Moon Audio or APS cables. A few with D2K recabled, but that's nothing to base a D5K upgrade off of when the D2K cable is so terrible.

Argh, what to do!

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #124 of 5,248
Well now... finally passed the 200 hour mark with my D2000. The highs mellowed out finally, and no longer feel like sand being blasted into my ears. They are still crisp and clear, which is wonderful, but just aren't harsh anymore. Thank god.

The lows, though... yeah, it's a bit much, even for me. The song "Terminal" from OSI's recent album Blood is just brutal. Too much. Other albums are fine, but the really bass-heavy stuff is punishing. I'm definitely considering the markl mod. I hate the idea of paying someone else to do it, but I'm too clumsy (and busy) to try to tackle it myself. I'll have to look into it when money is a bit less tight. Good thing I got these for so cheap, though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #126 of 5,248
You can expect amazing things from a couple hundred hours of playback. I too didn't know what to expect, but wow... they sound better every single day that goes by. I am in love with my D2000's, and cannot wait to hear them after my APS V3 re-cable.
beyersmile.png

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #128 of 5,248
LOL! Love the JJ icon, Hof. I'm in the middle of a re-watch of the whole series right now, and spotted that image on an episode I watched just last night. Go Team Venture!

And more on topic... I'm wondering if I should wait on the markl mod until my warranty runs out, or do it now. They are a bit fatiguing, especially with those lows. I keep turning up the volume because of the recessed mids, and the highs and lows just beat me up. Man, I don't want to have to spend more, but it's frustrating being this close to something truly satisfying...

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #130 of 5,248
I cracked and ordered the D5000 yesterday. This place is proving to be a real drain on my wallet. Got them for $424 on Amazon though. I wanted the warranty to be valid.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #132 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, what do you think? Will an ibasso D4 be sufficient for the D5k using foobar2000 as the source?

from my experience with them, they don't need a fancy amp in order to be driven well. even a nice portable will do, but the better the amp the better they will sound ofcourse
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #133 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from my experience with them, they don't need a fancy amp in order to be driven well. even a nice portable will do, but the better the amp the better they will sound ofcourse
wink.gif

Great to hear! Thank you!
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #135 of 5,248
I just ordered the D2000's after the price went down on Amazon to $199. I was on the fence, looking at these and also thinking about the Beyer DT 990s.

I'm new to this forum, and to the latest phones, but definitely not new to audio. For the past 5+ years I have been using a pair of MDR-7506's, mainly for my studio work but also for music listening. While they are good, they are too bright, lack warmth and lower end, and are also highly fatiguing. I'm having a hard time these days being able to listen to music on my thru my speakers due to my wife, so my headphone time is increasing all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

So recently I decided to try a pair of Senn HD-555s as I wanted to find something warmer and comfortable/non-fatiguing - they fit the bill comfort-wise and had a mellow-warm sound, but are pretty muddy in the mid-lows, lack clarity and treble, and to my ears don't have much definition or good transient response (imho). So I sent them back, and decided to move up a bit. I haven't heard most of the phones out there now, all I had to go on was reviews and forums like this. I thought about the Grado's but thought they might be too bright (I have that now with the Sony's), and so the Beyers were high on my list - but when the price of the D2000's came down to $199 - I took the bait.

I listen to a wide range of music, rock/pop, newgrass/acoustic guitar, and some jazz and classical - but I think a good pair of headphones should be good for most types of music, so hopefully my pick of the Denon's will be a good one. I've had alot of Denon audio-gear over the years, but have never heard any of their headphones before.

One Question - My source is always CD, good receiver phone-outs - but most of the time my listening comes from the headphone out of a good Sony CD player with adjustable volume control (it has the cleanest sound). I don't know much about headphone amps - how much would they improve my D200s given my current source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back