Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 27, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #766 of 5,248

Quote:
If i would have the money,I would take the D7000 blind,now after reading about them.
but that's the problem of being poor..you have to live with mid-fi quality 
frown.gif

I don't consider the D2000 mid-fi.  Just because it doesn't have a $1000 MSRP doesn't make it mid-fi.  The Denon is hi-fi.  It's not transparent hi-fi, but hi-fi nonetheless.  It's OK to have different flavors of hi-fi.  The Denon sound fits into the fun flavor of hi-fi.

I'd have a hard time justifying $600 - $1000 on a D7000.  I'd still need to EQ the mids just like the D2000.  Spending that much on a headphone that still needs EQ for the mids?  No, can't do it.  Price would have to be no object at all for me to consider it.  When a headphone gets into the near $1000 MSRP category I expect a lot more, a lot more.

May 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #767 of 5,248

Quote:
I don't consider the D2000 mid-fi.  Just because it doesn't have a $1000 MSRP doesn't make it mid-fi.  The Denon is hi-fi.  It's not transparent hi-fi, but hi-fi nonetheless.  It's OK to have different flavors of hi-fi.  The Denon sound fits into the fun flavor of hi-fi.

I'd have a hard time justifying $600 - $1000 on a D7000.  I'd still need to EQ the mids just like the D2000.  Spending that much on a headphone that still needs EQ for the mids?  No, can't do it.  Price would have to be no object at all for me to consider it.  When a headphone gets into the near $1000 MSRP category I expect a lot more, a lot more.

yes.   it is not that i am not considering them as hi-fi because of the "fun" factor,the coloured sound,that's got nothing to do with it.  there's plenty of "Hi-definition" headphones that also have coloured sound,and the denons are one of them.  
the reason i still consider them as not "high grade" (probably more accurate term) is not the tag price,it's becasue they are terribly unleashed (bass and treble),and especially because the sibilance issue.  I can't consider a headphone with sibilance to be Hi grade. 

May 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #768 of 5,248
Just got my D5000 cans a few days ago and I'm really enjoying them. My D5000 cans bleeeed bass compared to my Sennheiser HD600's. I think this is what I have been missing.

May 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #769 of 5,248

Quote:
My D5000 cans bleeeed bass compared to my Sennheiser HD600's. I think this is what I have been missing.

Bleeeed bass. And by that you mean more... that's a good thing, right?
wink_face.gif

And if I may, what kind of music do you listen to?

May 27, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #770 of 5,248
So is there a QC problem with the Jmoney pads, I was about to order some once I get my d2ks in the mail?

May 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #773 of 5,248

Quote:
So people are sending these ear pads back. I don't get it, is Jmoney a member on here or something and everyone's trying to not offend him?

I just took a look at mine and I think they look fine.  Some of the leather looks a little mismatched but the holes are perfectly matched.  The stitching is about an 8.5 out of 10.  The stitching around the whole is more on the outside rather than inside, but this is nitpicking.  Nothing that affects the sound, fit, or quality.  As you wear them more often, they soften up and get more comfortable.  The holes are the same size.

May 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #774 of 5,248
I wouldn't let the something like the sibilance issue stop you from trying these headphones.

Grado's can be sibilant as well, but they're one of the most revered headphone companies on this site.  It's a great, "fun" headphone that makes music a joy to listen to.  It gives you nice highs, good bass, and zero distortion.  That's a great combo if I've ever heard one.

May 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #775 of 5,248
D5000 ordered.
I'll let you know what I think next week... 
wink_face.gif

beyersmile.png

May 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #776 of 5,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvanE 

So people are sending these ear pads back. I don't get it, is Jmoney a member on here or something and everyone's trying to not offend him?

I love my J$ leather pads, but it is true that the stitching/build varies a lot with these. I would imagine they take a lot of effort to put together in the first place. They improve the sound quality and headstage quite a bit and are very comfortable once broken in, but if you are looking for a perfectly symmetrical pair of pads without visible 'defects', you may be disappointed.

May 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #777 of 5,248
yea, frankly i'm surprised he charges so little for them considering they're handmade. i just hope the second pair I get will be a little better matched. then of course, i need to listen to them =).

May 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #778 of 5,248
Quote: 

anyone know how the iBasso D2+ is with the D2000? 

i'm looking for a portable amp + dac under $200

i have D4 with D2000. but that's all I have tried... I bought it based 

on _________'s reviews and believes that it was the best DAC for use with a computer (he has a yoda icon spinning vinyl). EDIT: for that price range ~$200

the best way i'd describe it is: improves stereo imaging, clarity, and makes 'electronic' type sounds sound like classic analog drum machines, rather than digital copies. it's v. nice.

My main complaint was that the tippy-top highs were too much. Once I toned those down with the EQ --- 16K --- I was very happy. I still keep some, but they were too intense for my tastes before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back