Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3,676 of 5,248
  Welcome 
wink.gif

I don't listen to any metal, sorry. On the good side, there's no problems here for me with regards to the D2k's speed. I mostly listen to instrumentals, EDM, vocal jazz, rock, classic pop and other random stuff like game and anime OSTs. I listen only out of the DX50 > 627 MICRO for everything which I think is a neutral to warm-ish combination though imo it sounds good with most any pair of headphones. I know the D2k is not the most ideal pair of cans for my intended purpose which is good all-rounded (to me, with my favourite sound signature being darker than most people's) comfy general-purpose pair of desktop headphones but so far it's working out pretty well. I'm now thinking of either selling my Q40s or swapping it with the HD25 ALU I loaned to my dad as its been overshadowed by the D2k, but I know he won't be too happy about that.

Here's another recommendation, and it's the kind of music that I most enjoy listening to nowadays (strange for a 16-year-old high-school student
tongue.gif
 ):

Contains a few vocals but it's mostly instrumentals (piano, flute, violin, viola, double bass, etc). An absolutely beautiful set of songs imo. The D2k renders it amazingly and it's not too complicated either.

Sorry about that; simple case of good and bad luck respectively I guess 
redface.gif

SUPRISE I enjoy the same kinda of music as well, classical is pretty swell! 

Still for mids, the HE 4 is by far my favorite! It's got the sub bass extension of the D2k, the mids of the HE 500 and the highs of the DT 880! 

May 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,677 of 5,248
  So YOU"RE the one that nabbed that deal! I must have messaged right after you. Damn!

I messaged him too, but guess I was too late. I'm thinking 90% of those on here sent Jello a PM. I told him to check with me first next time he wants to sell something. 
wink_face.gif

Bucket, you are VERY lucky to have gotten them at that price... insane!

May 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,678 of 5,248
too much treble? why not eq?

Quote:

They install the same way Alpha's do...................and the stock pads.  Very simple once you figure out how to get the white mounting ring off.

its getting it back on that got me... took me best part of half an hour till i was done 
angry_face.gif

anyway. just wanted to say that, after watching "intouchables" with my flatmate, i went ahead and got an album by the pianist whose music was in the film - ludovico einaudi, the album is "una mattina" and i have to say that with my un-modded d2ks, with alpha pads, this sounds pretty amazing. i mostly listen to electronic music, but this is really great for abit of a change..

May 8, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #3,679 of 5,248
Originally Posted by adamlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

too much treble? why not eq?

My only source is a DX50; not known for it's EQ prowess at all.

anyway. just wanted to say that, after watching "intouchables" with my flatmate, i went ahead and got an album by the pianist whose music was in the film - ludovico einaudi, the album is "una mattina" and i have to say that with my un-modded d2ks, with alpha pads, this sounds pretty amazing. i mostly listen to electronic music, but this is really great for abit of a change..

Another person who likes instrumentals with the D2k 
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3,682 of 5,248
He's letting me Demo a few headphones actually. This is what I have at my house at the moment minus a T50RP that's totally disassembled at the moment. The HE-400, Q701 and black D2000 are mine, the rest are his. Haha

May 13, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3,686 of 5,248
The owner messaged me back and said it isn't lawton modded AT ALL, it just has the Mexican Cocobolo Rosewood cups. 

This thing is still awesome, the difference in sound it crazy. I love what the extra volume in the cups has done to these.

First off, the bass and sub bass are much stronger in the wood pair, this is partly because of the Alpha Pads but the tones at which there is the most sub bass are lower frequencies than in my pair because of the larger volume in the cups. 

The soundstage in my pair if like sitting right in the middle of the band that's playing almost compared to the woodies. It's like sitting in a wide auditorium in the 10th row, very nice. 

The mids actually don't seem as recessed with these, it just sounds like you can hear where they are in the soundstage now rather than them just having a lower volume.

The headphone sound a lot quicker, it's probably because the wood is a lot harder than the plastic cups. 

Overall, this thing is just like bass in your face, but everything else still has good staging.

Needless to say, I have plans to revamp the sound of my D2000. It'll probably happen sooner now that I've heard these things.

May 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #3,687 of 5,248
The owner messaged me back and said it isn't lawton modded AT ALL, it just has the Mexican Cocobolo Rosewood cups. 

This thing is still awesome, the difference in sound it crazy. I love what the extra volume in the cups has done to these.

First off, the bass and sub bass are much stronger in the wood pair, this is partly because of the Alpha Pads but the tones at which there is the most sub bass are lower frequencies than in my pair because of the larger volume in the cups. 

The soundstage in my pair if like sitting right in the middle of the band that's playing almost compared to the woodies. It's like sitting in a wide auditorium in the 10th row, very nice. 

The mids actually don't seem as recessed with these, it just sounds like you can hear where they are in the soundstage now rather than them just having a lower volume.

The headphone sound a lot quicker, it's probably because the wood is a lot harder than the plastic cups. 

Overall, this thing is just like bass in your face, but everything else still has good staging.

Needless to say, I have plans to revamp the sound of my D2000. It'll probably happen sooner now that I've heard these things.

So are you going to Lawton mod your cups or get a set of deeper wood cups? Extra deep and Lawton mods are a great combo.

May 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #3,689 of 5,248
Yes! Forgot you were doing that.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back