Denon D2000 Amping help please
Jan 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #16 of 37
I thought the E10 is below the E7 
eek.gif

http://www.fiio.com.cn/

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
No. The E10 is better, but not as versatile. The E10 is forever tethered by USB, the E7 works in many situations, without USB.
If you want the true upgrade to the E7, the Alpen (aka E17) is about to be released very soon.

Personally I find the Alpen a little too expensive. I just don't really see how it would benefit me since I already have the E11 for portable use and the E10 for stationary use 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 37
For you it won't be applicable, as its pretty much the E10 and E11 in one package that docks to the E9, lol.

I'd get the Alpen, but I'm moving up to other things, mainly the Bifrost or NFB2.1 or 3.1 as my DAC and the C-2.2 as my amp.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
For you it won't be applicable, as its pretty much the E10 and E11 in one package that docks to the E9, lol.
I'd get the Alpen, but I'm moving up to other things, mainly the Bifrost or NFB2.1 or 3.1 as my DAC and the C-2.2 as my amp.

LOL, yeah, true.

Bifrost is really a looker.. Why not Valhalla or Lyr as the amp if you go the Schiit route?

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #20 of 37
I already owned the Lyr. I didn't like the D7000 off it vs the E9. I also don't like making my headphones warmer/smoother, so the Valhalla is a definite hell no. That, and I don't want to deal with tubes.

A strong SS amp is just what I need. I've heard the Asgard doesn't pair up well with high impedance headphones, and I need an amp that can provide plenty of current (D7000) and voltage (DT990), which the C-2.2 should be able to do well.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #21 of 37

Quote:
I already owned the Lyr. I didn't like the D7000 off it vs the E9. I also don't like making my headphones warmer/smoother, so the Valhalla is a definite hell no. That, and I don't want to deal with tubes.
A strong SS amp is just what I need. I've heard the Asgard doesn't pair up well with high impedance headphones, and I need an amp that can provide plenty of current (D7000) and voltage (DT990), which the C-2.2 should be able to do well.

Ah yeah, that's right.. We tend to have the same kind of feelings when it comes to warmth and supposedly "sibilant headphones".

Good to hear that about the Schiits, as I've been thinking abut getting better amplification. Then I can remove them from my list!

The C-2.2 looks good too! :)

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #22 of 37
The Lyr is awesome, but has a high noise floor for sensitive headphones like the D7000. If it wasn't for that, I would have repurchased it. The D7000 sounded really good off it, noise aside. The E9 still had more aggressive mids and treble, which I preferred. The D7000 was on the laid back side with the Lyr and two separate tubes I tried. I just didn't care for tube rolling. Give me a straightforward powerful SS amp, and I'm set.

I'd get the Matrix M Stage, but the C-2.2 pushes double the power at 600ohms. 100mw vs 200mw at 600ohms.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
The Lyr is awesome, but has a high noise floor for sensitive headphones like the D7000. If it wasn't for that, I would have repurchased it. The D7000 sounded really good off it, noise aside. The E9 still had more aggressive mids and treble, which I preferred. The D7000 was on the laid back side with the Lyr and two separate tubes I tried. I just didn't care for tube rolling. Give me a straightforward powerful SS amp, and I'm set.
I'd get the Matrix M Stage, but the C-2.2 pushes double the power at 600ohms. 100mw vs 200mw at 600ohms.

You really need all that power for the D7000 then?

Yeah, I agree on the laidback sound - it's not really my cup of tea.

I'll have a look at the Matrix M-stage, but I think I might go the E9 route as a starters. I have a vintage amp, and while it can drive my headphones adequately - it has some hiss and noise issues. I think that maybe an E9 is cheaper and easier than trying to fix this vintage amp..

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 37
No, but it would be more beneficial for my DT990/600 which sometimes struggles on the E9.

The D7000 sounds good off anything. The Lyr really tightened up the bass, which was a pretty good benefit from having that much power. It was quite a difference in terms of how tight the bass became. Too bad the mids felt recessed and the treble wasn't as sparkly.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #27 of 37
But the E9 didn't tighten it up as much as the Lyr?

Compared to unamped, the E9 does tighten up the bass and brings out the mids quite a bit. Mids seem to be the sweetened area of the E9. But the Lyr further tightens the D7000's bass. Almost too much. It just didn't do anything to bring out the mids and treble for me. I guess I'm just not a fan of tubes/warmth. It DID flesh out the mids as in gave them a fuller sound, but not more forward than the E9.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #29 of 37
Though I prefer the D7000 off the E9, it could be better. The mids, while forward, sound thin off the E9. They may have been recessed off the Lyr, but they were meaty with weight. I wonder if an SS amp other than the E9 can replicate the meatiness of the Lyr, with the forwardness of the E9.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #30 of 37
lovin' the D2000 out of my Apogee Duet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back