Denon AHD2000 - worth upgrade to 5000/7000?
Jul 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rocker UK

Head-Fier
Some time ago I experimented with a pair of Denon AHD7000's and 'didn't like them' pretty quickly with my Linn Classik.  Since then I have bought a dedicated Heaphone amp and tried a pair of my friends AHD2000 through it and was utterly blown away by them and bought some.

I am so impressed by them that I am wondering whether I should have tried the AHD5000's or 7000's with it to see their full ability. As I note that they are being discontinued I am seriously considering buying a pair whilst I can.

My question is whether an amp'd pair of the 2000's is likely to be bettered by either of them?  I have read a lot which seems to suggest that there's not much difference and a lot that says there is so need to make a call as to whether it's worth upgrading.

If not from a cost point of view then any recommendations for a pair of high end, closed back headphones would be appreciated.  Music mainly rock.

Anyone got a view?  Thanks a lot in advance.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 6
You really gonna go for the D5k and D7k? The price in amazon skyrocketed at least 30% if I remembered correctly.

And just a question, what happened if the product somehow "failed", what do they replace you with? The newer ones?

Woodies are lush, sweet and warm sounding. I personally love that too, compared to plastic housing.

Good luck!

2 Cents + 5% GST 
L3000.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah I think I am gonna get the AHD7000's before they become extinct.  If I like them I will sell the AHD2000's

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 6
If you can get the d5k around the $400 mark, I would pull the trigger. I owned the d2k for six months and then all the deals on Denon's started coming out. I grabbed a pair of the d5k and could not be any happier. It's a significant upgrade tbh. But the upgrade from d5k to d7k is minor in comparison. 
ph34r.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Since they are discontinued grab them while you can but i would recommend to go straight to D7000. Yes the difference between D5000 and D7000 isn't significant as between D2000 and D5000 but still noticeable and gives you more refined clarity and details.At the recent NYC meet i spoke to a few very reputable members who have Audezele and Stax as their main headphones with appropriate very expensive gear to drive them and even they still have D7000 in their collection. One of them even considering to get an extra pair in case his first one fails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back