Denon AH-MM400
Jun 3, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,261 of 1,435
Could someone post a picture of Denon AH-MM400 with their Fioo X5III and Cayin i5
I want to buy one of this 2 players and a Denon AH-MM400 headset want to look how they pair together.
I have the Fiio X5II and the MM400s. They pair very well together. I use my X5II with both my MM400s and my PM-3s and it has plenty of output power to get the most out of each.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,262 of 1,435
No. It is less V-shaped. The sound signature compares with the Oppo PM-3 and Meze 99 Classics, both of which I own, but is punchier. With the Meze 99, if I lower the 62Hz by a couple of dB in the Fiio X5 II's eq, I get almost the same sound as the MM400.

Hi 007,

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/meze-99-classics-custom-10-band-eq.852844/

Please go to that link and answer if you can. I just got the 99s and would GREATLY appreciate a custom EQ to make them shine. Right now I have the AKG K551s but I've been told the 99s are better with the right EQ. I'm good at EQ'ing but more like a beginner, not an expert. Hopefully you can help.

Note: I also own the Denon AVR-1612 surround sound receiver. Excellent device!!

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,264 of 1,435
@RockStar2005 Off topic of MM400s, but I just use a simple eq curve on the 99 classics with the newest earpads. -6dB on 31 Hz and -2dB on 62Hz. With that, it still maintains the bass but it doesn't stomp all over the mids like it does with no eq.

Just saw this now. I wasn't subscribed to this thread so didn't get a notif.

Newest earpads?! NICE!! That's what I got too.

Ok not sure how to interpret that. Can you make an EQ like this custom-made one for my AKG K551s?? There's also this comparison RF of the old & new pads I found online too which might help tweak your EQ.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #1,265 of 1,435
I didn't like how the MSR7 pads fit on the MM400. They're a much better fit than, say, the HM5 pads, but still too loose for my liking. The size and shape of the Denon's cups make it annoying to find replacements that are decent ¬_¬

The after market pads for this dennon are better looking and softer than stock :
Screenshot_2017-06-18-00-35-43.png
I have them now and will post observations soon.
Ok, these pads do not have the rubber like surround, so they loose all bass and sound like garbage...
Sad.

Looks like you need the real Audio Technica MSR7 pads to give clarity and bass.

Fake Audio Technica pads are more thicker sounding and sound best on the Audeze Sine.

Also,
I find this unit way too bassy for a balanced sound,
But otherwise they do have a superior resolution driver:

20170618_003940.jpg
And they are angled too..
:)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,268 of 1,435
I would try on eBay, that's lowest price i found mine.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #1,270 of 1,435
I have now Tried Denon Headphones a bit on my Cowon Dap.
It sound fantastic best sound ever.

I am very sad that Vmoda M100 cable wont work
for Denon Ah-mm400, that was disapointing since i wanted a Braided non remote cable.

When plugging softly in the vmoda M100 cable on Denon Ah-mm400
it fit in the headphone jack but theres only sound on one side of the earcup
not like Denon cable non braided which sound on both Earcups.

The Denon cable headphone jack has something that Click into place
in the headphone jack while the vmoda has not.
Tried not to force it to be careful. Thats a pity.
I also tried my Klipsch M40 headgear cable this one is rather loose on the headphones
and it only sound on one ear cup aswell

I need a braided cable that has a very similiar jack than the Denon
that will fit withouing doing anything to the cable, Since Vmoda cable wont work
i have no other cable than the one that came with the Denon.

I can use the one provided with headphones but is not braided
After all The Denon Ah-mm400 is made for this Denon Cable.
But why having a cable with a remote when the remote not work on cowon Daps
and beside is non braided cable.

Cable must not cost over 20 Euro/dollar since i can not try it before i buy it
i dont want to buy a expensive cable on internet when i could not try it before hand.

I prefer not to polish the Vmoda m100 cable as i using that cable for the Vmoda M100
so i want to be careful not to break anything.

Anyone know where i can buy a braided non denon Cable without remote that fit denon (vmoda M100 not fit)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,271 of 1,435
Have you checked to see if the Vmoda cable is a 4 contact?
If so then get an adapter on ebay to convert to 3contact

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,272 of 1,435
I have looked at the cable it is different than the denon cable
an adaptor might work but how to get one for denon, adaptor on the cans i dont want
if i could find another cable i be happy meanwhile i have to use the cable that came with it.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #1,273 of 1,435
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,274 of 1,435
I wonder if anyone found more "full size" cans that sound like those? For some reason, MM400 signature really speaks to me, I absolutely love their sound. I've tried P9, which I found inferior, owing to the midbass hump that is simply way too much on a lot of tracks.

Reason I ask is, as much as love them, the MM400 kill my ears when worn for hours, the pads being too shallow (I've tried replacements, but found the sound alteration to be too much).

EDIT: the D7200 really do grow on you and evolve very nicely. Probably my favorite closed cans so far as of now.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #1,275 of 1,435
I wonder if anyone found more "full size" cans that sound like those? For some reason, MM400 signature really speaks to me, I absolutely love their sound. I've tried P9, which I found inferior, owing to the midbass hump that is simply way too much on a lot of tracks. Just tried the 7200 as well, they didn't do much for me either. Too polite and mid-centric...
Reason I ask is, as much as love them, the MM400 kill my ears when worn for hours, the pads being too shallow (I've tried replacements, but found the sound alteration to be too much).

I wish I could try 7200... I am planning to get those one day.... its hard to compete with Denon I can recommend to try D600. Excellent comfort, very soft padding and big cups and better bass plus the same Denon signature sound. If you get them make sure you burn them for longer period the highs and mids get a bit better.

I do like them a lot. Then I have HP800 / HP700 (they are the same) which do sound better than MM400 but the comfort is worse.... maybe if you replace their pads they should be much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back