Denon AH-MM400
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,276 of 1,435
I received my AH-MM400 yesterday evening, and did not have too much time to test them. They do seem to sound rather sweet, even on my un-amped Samsung Galaxy A5 2017. However, compared to e.g. my B&O Beoplay H6, they seem to sit less surely on my head. That is to say, when I bent down to empty the dishwasher, the Denons wanted to slide off my head. Is that normal or do I need to find a different position for them on my head? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,277 of 1,435
I received my AH-MM400 yesterday evening, and did not have too much time to test them. They do seem to sound rather sweet, even on my un-amped Samsung Galaxy A5 2017. However, compared to e.g. my B&O Beoplay H6, they seem to sit less surely on my head. That is to say, when I bent down to empty the dishwasher, the Denons wanted to slide off my head. Is that normal or do I need to find a different position for them on my head? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

I think you should try the BossHifi B8 from AliExpress. IMO they are superior to the "original" Denon HP although a ripoff. Their earcups are bigger and deeper and made of "protein leather", actually better than real leather IMO. As the B8 only cost 53 € now with free shipping you could order them and if you still like the Denon's sound sig better, just pluck off the ear cushions from the B8 and put them on your Denons as the wooden cups are the same size IIRC.

The B8 are not foldable but that's a plus, you'll never get annoying sounds from that pivot like some users have reported. They have better drivers, too, dual beryllium voice coils with bigger diameter. The cable is also better, not the stupid oval type. Just try them out, they are an unbelievable bargain.

Good luck!

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #1,278 of 1,435
I think you should try the BossHifi B8 from AliExpress. IMO they are superior to the "original" Denon HP although a ripoff.

So far I am happy with sound and comfort of the Denons, although I'd have to wear them longer to give a proper evaluation. My main concern right now is the loose fit. I had seen the B8s, but I do find their design much less pleasing then the Denons', which seem slimmer and more harmonious. The B8s look too massive for the overall design. Yes, I know, design should not be the main thing, but when buying HPs with wooden cups, I think it still plays a large role. :wink:

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,281 of 1,435
I think you should try the BossHifi B8 from AliExpress. IMO they are superior to the "original" Denon HP although a ripoff. Their earcups are bigger and deeper and made of "protein leather", actually better than real leather IMO. As the B8 only cost 53 € now with free shipping you could order them and if you still like the Denon's sound sig better, just pluck off the ear cushions from the B8 and put them on your Denons as the wooden cups are the same size IIRC.

The B8 are not foldable but that's a plus, you'll never get annoying sounds from that pivot like some users have reported. They have better drivers, too, dual beryllium voice coils with bigger diameter. The cable is also better, not the stupid oval type. Just try them out, they are an unbelievable bargain.

Good luck!
Bigger drivers aren't bettter because they are bigger lol.
Denon Free-Edge drivers are superior to standard style dynamic drivers.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,282 of 1,435
These Dennon and the B&W P5 with (over ear earpads) are my two best portables.
They are both share similar type drivers.

I use the P5 for ultra portable use as it is lightweight and very streamlined.

I use the mm400 for most critical listening on a portable.

In stock form it is a bit too thick but still very good realism.
I used to have the audeze Sine but too many issues with earpads and the bass was never low end enough like I used to have with my OPPO PM2

I also had the Utrasone ED8 for a long time was my reference portable,
And then the high priced ED5 top of the line,
But spending thousands for just for a portable wasn't practical,
Yet it can do critical home use like the PM2, but I couldn't take it everywhere.
Had the same issue with the Audio Technica ath esw10jpn being too valuable to take out, so sold them off.

There are many more I tried,
But for high quality sound and style with excellent form factor design,
while being portable, long lasting and iconic, my top portables are these two:
Dennon mm400
B&W P5 version two (a step down from Dennon in sound but extreme quality made).

I cannot give either the Audeze Sine, or the Hifiman Edition S any recommendation, as they simply are not durable or as high quality as any of mention above.
They do have good sound quality and are still top portable picks.

The Dennon mm400 has such a great build quality that it reminds me of the OPPO PM2 in quality.

I still have the Edition S and whish it wasn't so cheaply made because it also has top top sound quality.
Still, the Dennon mm400 is higher..

Stock for the Dennon fools you as it is a bit bass heavy but a bit of modding goes a long way to adjust the bass level to how you want it.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,283 of 1,435
These Dennon and the B&W P5 with (over ear earpads) are my two best portables.
They are both share similar type drivers.

I use the P5 for ultra portable use as it is lightweight and very streamlined.

I use the mm400 for most critical listening on a portable.

In stock form it is a bit too thick but still very good realism.
I used to have the audeze Sine but too many issues with earpads and the bass was never low end enough like I used to have with my OPPO PM2

I also had the Utrasone ED8 for a long time was my reference portable,
And then the high priced ED5 top of the line,
But spending thousands for just for a portable wasn't practical,
Yet it can do critical home use like the PM2, but I couldn't take it everywhere.
Had the same issue with the Audio Technica ath esw10jpn being too valuable to take out, so sold them off.

There are many more I tried,
But for high quality sound and style with excellent form factor design,
while being portable, long lasting and iconic, my top portables are these two:
Dennon mm400
B&W P5 version two (a step down from Dennon in sound but extreme quality made).

I cannot give either the Audeze Sine, or the Hifiman Edition S any recommendation, as they simply are not durable or as high quality as any of mention above.
They do have good sound quality and are still top portable picks.

The Dennon mm400 has such a great build quality that it reminds me of the OPPO PM2 in quality.

I still have the Edition S and whish it wasn't so cheaply made because it also has top top sound quality.
Still, the Dennon mm400 is higher..

Stock for the Dennon fools you as it is a bit bass heavy but a bit of modding goes a long way to adjust the bass level to how you want it.

I don't take my headphones anywhere, but I have a AH-MM400 and now I got a PM-2 in today.
The PM-2 is really great and sounds very similar to the AH-MM400 but its more airy with a slightly different frequency response especially in the high end.
So vocals are a bit toned down in some cases.
But the quality is top notch on the PM-2 and the AH-MM400 is really well made aswell from what i see.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,284 of 1,435
What mods did you do to bring the bass under control? I sold my mm400s, but my only complaint with them was that the bass was a bit too much. I regret selling them really, so I might buy another pair if I could tame the bass. I just ordered a pair of D7200s looking for mm400-type sound, but with less bass emphasis.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,285 of 1,435
What mods did you do to bring the bass under control? I sold my mm400s, but my only complaint with them was that the bass was a bit too much. I regret selling them really, so I might buy another pair if I could tame the bass. I just ordered a pair of D7200s looking for mm400-type sound, but with less bass emphasis.

You will be sorely disappointed. The D7200 doesn't sound anything like the MM400, its all bloated bass has recessed mids and highs.
Basically its frequency response is a line which goes down from the top.
Also it has an annoying 5k-2.5k ringing sound where a 5k tone makes a 2.5k ring, which gives me a headache.
Also its super heavy vs the MM400 and has a very long annoying cable.

Basically its worse than the MM400 in every way, especially in sound quality unless you just like bloated bass.
If you want something that sounds like a MM400 but with a bit less bass then you want an Oppo PM-2.
That's what I just got and the two headphones sound very similar with the PM-2 having a bit less bass (but its also an open can, so there is very little isolation).

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,286 of 1,435
You will be sorely disappointed. The D7200 doesn't sound anything like the MM400, its all bloated bass has recessed mids and highs.
Basically its frequency response is a line which goes down from the top.
Also it has an annoying 5k-2.5k ringing sound where a 5k tone makes a 2.5k ring, which gives me a headache.
Also its super heavy vs the MM400 and has a very long annoying cable.

Basically its worse than the MM400 in every way, especially in sound quality unless you just like bloated bass.
If you want something that sounds like a MM400 but with a bit less bass then you want an Oppo PM-2.
That's what I just got and the two headphones sound very similar with the PM-2 having a bit less bass (but its also an open can, so there is very little isolation).
I just got the D7200s. I've only had a short listen, but they are a little bass-centric. The bass is also a little soft. I listened to some tracks which I remember being too bassy with the mm400, and the D7200s seemed a bit better if my memory serves me well, which it probably doesn't. At least the bass isn't completely monotone.

My main closed headphones are the akg N90Q which do some magical things to control the bass, so I've been spoilt a bit.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,287 of 1,435
I just got the D7200s. I've only had a short listen, but they are a little bass-centric. The bass is also a little soft. I listened to some tracks which I remember being too bassy with the mm400, and the D7200s seemed a bit better if my memory serves me well, which it probably doesn't. At least the bass isn't completely monotone.

My main closed headphones are the akg N90Q which do some magical things to control the bass, so I've been spoilt a bit.
It isn't lol.
The D7200 is completely bloated in terms of bass vs the MM400. I have both of them at my desk right now, bass comes over everything and if you google "frequency response" for both of the headphones you will see what I am talking about.
D7200 is like +20DB in the bass region vs highs and like +8DB vs mids.
The MM400 is a mostly flat response so its around +/- 3db

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,288 of 1,435
It isn't lol.
The D7200 is completely bloated in terms of bass vs the MM400. I have both of them at my desk right now, bass comes over everything and if you google "frequency response" for both of the headphones you will see what I am talking about.
D7200 is like +20DB in the bass region vs highs and like +8DB vs mids.
The MM400 is a mostly flat response so its around +/- 3db
I've seen the D7200 frequency response on SBAF it doesn't look like that. They do have bas emphasis, but not 20db. I'll give them a bit of brain burn-in time and see how I feel.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,289 of 1,435
Would you say the Denon AH-MM400 is Better then the Oppo PM-3 after looking around some say they sound very simlar if that is the case then id go for the Denons just on price with it been over £100 cheaper. These 2 sound perfect for the type of genre i listen to like Deep house and 80's soul and Disco. Mostly be used as home cans via Amp

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,290 of 1,435
@nicknack40

Can't comment on the Oppos, but from the opinions in this thread it is simplified to the MM400 as being more 'alive' and engaging (more impactful, deeper bass for example), and the PM3 as being the more refined of the two.

However as an MM400 owner myself, I can tell you that for house (and any variant of) they're awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back