Denon AH-MM400
Jun 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #589 of 1,435
They're still my favourite cans of the ones I have. They're just perfect for my taste, and I'm not exaggerating; I can't find a flaw! I'm saving money for HD 650 and LCD-2, but these Denons will always be something special. I'm surprised people suggest PM-3 now and then but not these. I've listened to the PM-3 briefly, but I prefer my AH-MM400.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #591 of 1,435
They're still my favourite cans of the ones I have. They're just perfect for my taste, and I'm not exaggerating; I can't find a flaw! I'm saving money for HD 650 and LCD-2, but these Denons will always be something special. I'm surprised people suggest PM-3 now and then but not these. I've listened to the PM-3 briefly, but I prefer my AH-MM400.
I am yet to try the PM3 but they would have to be pretty darn impressive to come anywhere near the AH-MM400. I would like to think this thread has died simply because people are enjoying them.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #592 of 1,435
PM-3 are very good too, and I can see them a little more comfortable for some, but the bass is just that bit looser than the Denons'. The MM400 is perfectly balanced from top to bottom for me. I've suggested them a few times to those looking for such properties but never read any feedback, neither negative nor positive. I guess people consider them portable and too expensive in this category. But I don't consider them on-ear and their sound quality is not "portable" but rather competing in the full size home domain.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #594 of 1,435
PM-3 are very good too, and I can see them a little more comfortable for some, but the bass is just that bit looser than the Denons'. The MM400 is perfectly balanced from top to bottom for me. I've suggested them a few times to those looking for such properties but never read any feedback, neither negative nor positive. I guess people consider them portable and too expensive in this category. But I don't consider them on-ear and their sound quality is not "portable" but rather competing in the full size home domain.
From what I've read, the PM3 sound flatter than the AH-MM400. I've seen someone on my train wearing them. They definitely are larger in size and in my opinion, don't look anywhere near as classy as the Denons. I will say this, they have destroyed my sleep. I ALWAYS make time to listen to them for at least an hour before bed, irrespective of what time it is and whether it is a weeknight or not. Their sound signature is now fixed given the number of hours I have had with them, and I personally would prefer it that way. I wouldn't change a thing in terms of looks, comfort or sound.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #596 of 1,435
I am really torn between these and the PM3's. I can get both at almost the same price here in Australia, but can't make up my mind. I guess there is no definitive winner between these two in terms of resolution, accuracy and specially bass characteristics..

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #597 of 1,435
I am really torn between these and the PM3's. I can get both at almost the same price here in Australia, but can't make up my mind. I guess there is no definitive winner between these two in terms of resolution, accuracy and specially bass characteristics..
Have you heard them both? I have read the PM3 is flatter sounding, so not the exact same sound signature. Who is selling the Denons in Oz?

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #598 of 1,435
I've listened to PM3, and I prefer my MM400.The Denon has better balanced transition from the bass to the mids. PM3 draw a little more attention to the bass, while the Denon doesn't emphasize any of the frequency ranges.

Good luck picking the one that suits you better.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #599 of 1,435
Have you heard them both? I have read the PM3 is flatter sounding, so not the exact same sound signature. Who is selling the Denons in Oz?

I'll import these from overseas. Much cheaper that way.

Some people say PM3's are flatter. Others say they have more bass (loose, bloomy etc. compared to mm400s). I can't demo both so that makes it a bit harder for me. I can always eq so the signature is not really an issue. I would like for it to be a bit bass heavier, but ultimately I need one which has more resolution and is not sloppy. I think both of these are good on these fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back